The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does a body ever sneeze while sleeping, unconcious or in coma???  (Read 18071 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Well I was laying quietly upon my side left moments ago as my back was hurting from sitting up.  I noticed that I had that real tickly feeling in my nose like I was about to sneeze..... but to my irritation,  It remained a tickling annoying little sprinkle of nose sparkly annoyance!

It never come!

Then it occurred to me that I have never awoken or been awaken by a sneeze!

Do we sneeze while sleeping?

I mean,  I sneeze in a large way...LOL, but wouldn't it wake one up to sneeze whilst sleeping?

What about someone who may be unconscious or in coma???

Does anyone know..? I wonder if the body turns that off or that sense is temporarilly  some how desensitized while under these conditions???

I have never seen a person in these circumstances sneeze, and I have been around many people  in these conditions???

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 09/06/2008 14:11:49 by Karen W. »

Offline grumpy old mare

• View Profile
    • petdesigns
Don't know about unconscious / in a coma, but I've woken up because of sneezing before, so I guess one does sneeze when sleeping, even though it does tend to wake one up.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for that answer! I have never sneezed while asleep, at least I've not been aware of it!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
I've sneezed whilst in bed but as far as i know i always wake up a split second before.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
As a firm believer in empirical study I will tonight , when all my family are  asleep, blow a little pepper up their noses and see what happens. Should they wake I will congratulate them with a fanfare, a ticker tape parade and a bucket of ice cold water poured over their heads as a celebratory gesture for their contribution to science.

As further checks will be necessary I will repeat this experiment on the hour every hour till 6am. I am already confident at the joy and glee I will be met with.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Good idea. That will probably leave you in a coma and your family can test that part of the theory.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I've sneezed whilst in bed but as far as i know i always wake up a split second before.

I wonder if it is the little tickle in your nose before the sneeze that wakes you?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
As a firm believer in empirical study I will tonight , when all my family are  asleep, blow a little pepper up their noses and see what happens. Should they wake I will congratulate them with a fanfare, a ticker tape parade and a bucket of ice cold water poured over their heads as a celebratory gesture for their contribution to science.

As further checks will be necessary I will repeat this experiment on the hour every hour till 6am. I am already confident at the joy and glee I will be met with.

Joy and glee indeed! LOL.. BC is right!!!

We sure are proud of our self sacrificing Sheepy, and what length he goes to for the good of the forum....!!! We are indeed very lucky that such a selfless Sheepy believes in, and carries out all these wonderful empirical studies for our benefit!!!

Offline SIMike

• First timers
  • He who seeks to unfold the mysteries of the Dragon
    • View Profile
I will probably both win and lose a challenge for this, but have frequently witnessed the Old Dragon go from a state of unconsciousness into bolt upright sneezing fits and whilst experiencing muscle spasms as a result of the sneezing, but I have never known her to sneeze in her sleep.

And if she happens upon this post when she emerges from her present comatose state... Please consider this as yet another proposal to make an honest woman of you, Al. If only because I can take the rejections, but not the thought of you going through what you have been through lately, and have likely to come, living on your own and without being around to support you!

Grumpy Old Mare, besides verifying this proposal of marriage, perhaps you can talk some sense into that mule-headed, dragon-tongued playmate of yours? Please. :D God knows, I have been trying long enough...

Oh, and she is right about the spell check on here. It tried to change mule-headed into muddleheaded just now. It needs educating. Even if mule-headed and muddleheaded are probably interchangeable in this instance.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

I will probably both win and lose a challenge for this, but have frequently witnessed the Old Dragon go from a state of unconsciousness into bolt upright sneezing fits and whilst experiencing muscle spasms as a result of the sneezing, but I have never known her to sneeze in her sleep.

And if she happens upon this post when she emerges from her present comatose state... Please consider this as yet another proposal to make an honest woman of you, Al. If only because I can take the rejections, but not the thought of you going through what you have been through lately, and have likely to come, living on your own and without being around to support you!

Grumpy Old Mare, besides verifying this proposal of marriage, perhaps you can talk some sense into that mule-headed, dragon-tongued playmate of yours? Please. :D God knows, I have been trying long enough...

Oh, and she is right about the spell check on here. It tried to change mule-headed into muddleheaded just now. It needs educating. Even if mule-headed and muddleheaded are probably interchangeable in this instance.

Well Thats good information. So another soul who wakes up to sneeze! LOL... It is interesting brings to mind what else we do not do in a state of sleep coma or unconsciousness.. or perhaps what we do do??
« Last Edit: 15/06/2008 23:51:36 by Karen W. »

Offline SIMike

• First timers
    • View Profile
Birds have started to sing outside and dawn's arrived but the Old Dragon's sleeping on - 3 on the sofa with the dogs holding there positions as if they sense it could even be important to do that. They haven't even moved since I arrived, and she was sleeping then.

I'm still at her computer and searching for clues whilst monitoring the snoring - and it's not just Al doing that. The foxhound cross curled against her chest is particularly musical in sleep, but an uncanny little thing. Look in her direction and her tail starts wagging, even when her eyes seem closed, and she stops the racket when the tail goes.

These dogs seem to sense things - needs - and their places and yet they are not trained assistance dogs. It's been a while since I've been over here, and I have a key to get in, but neither dog rose from their places to greet me, just looked up and wagged their tails as I came in. I wouldn't mind betting that, when Al's on her own here, the scene would be exactly as I have observed for several hours now. I feel quite reassured by it.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
My Dog does the same.. he gets all up on me and nestles over my chest up around my face.. I have been woken from deep sleeps by him lapping at my apnea machine.. and frantically trying to get my mask off! Once I wake and acknowledge to him that it is alright he snuggles back up against my face and closes his eyes.. he usually takes three or so deep breaths as if sighing then goes to sleep again... They do read us and our bodies well...and sense illness etc...

Offline grumpy old mare

• View Profile
    • petdesigns
Grumpy Old Mare, besides verifying this proposal of marriage, perhaps you can talk some sense into that mule-headed, dragon-tongued playmate of yours?

Me? Talking sense into somebody, let alone that Old Dragon? What planet are you from?  ;D

Will verify your proposal though! I hope one day she will say yes, just to send you into a coma...

(by the way - my doglets turn into "nurses", too, when I'm ill. Fabulous, these hairy little monsters! And the springy thing did that before being trained to help me in the house)

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
Karen, I really can wake up sneezing for Wales, and with lots of sneezes in rapid succession. This usually when there's tree or grass pollen very prevalent.

I've had that problem since childhood and have often  done it into triple figures. CERTAIN people have had bets on how many times I'll sneeze on waking. They have no mercy, you know. My back can be spasming and my ribcage heaving so that I can barely breathe, and yet even if they pass a tissue, they keep on counting the sneezes, and will urge me for one more if there's a bit of extra cash or kind for a good cause in it.

But no, I don't think I sneeze in my sleep either.

Mike... I reckon my dogs were just making sure there wasn't any space left for a cat to sneak in and make himself at home on our sofa - besides, cat fur makes me sneeze... Unless it's dangling in the wind off my totem pole, of course.

I wonder what a grizzled-grey cat's hair looks like curly-permed, then tied up with cat-gut and hung out to dry?

Girl's, wasn't that the 80s look for those poser-type fellows who still had long locks, or was it the mullet that was all the rage then?

Grumpy Old Mare... Wise move, and I think having that old pusscat begging you for help and you refusing, may have just won you a challenge for the Wolves. Two rejections in one day... painful.

I'm tempted to bring out the drums and hypnotise him so that whoever has the pepper spray can see if daft old wildcats sneeze under hypnosis or wake up (to themselves) first.

What shall I do with him? Leave him in suspenders for a few days, perhaps?

Snuff, the would be dragon,
hang him out to dry,
blow a bit of pepper dust,
to make him sneeze and cry...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for that answer... Thats amazing..

I think it may have been the mullet back then as I recall! LOL!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I thought it might be, Karen, thanks. :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Your welcome! I think you are right!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Are you thinking what I am thinking, Karen? (A little treat for that daft, vain old pusscat. ;) )

You see, having won that grizzle-grey old cat's long mane in a challenge, and to do as I like with for a whole year, too, I can't decide whether to do what I would most like, or to do what he's most dislike, and that just to give him the opportunity to learn from his errors... That every time he looks in a mirror, which, believe me, he cannot help doing every time he passes one! Lol

Some guys, much as one might love them to bits, are so hard to get through to! (I've known that one nearly 40 years and am still trying! :) )

Give them DR in front of their names, and for whatever discipline, EVEN DELEGATION, and there are some that can never recover. That one has no excuses. He can talk the talk, but when it comes to walking it, it's not his gammy legs that get in the way, but his pride that he trips over every time. I feel POWERLESS to help him! But you know how it is, Karen, if you love them, you have to let them go, and just be there for them to pick up their bits when it all goes pear-shaped, and to patch up their wounds, cradle their heads in your lap, and all those other things one does when you care... but why, oh why, do some never learn from their mistakes, and just keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting the result to be different, and the only way it ever is, is that it gets worse and they hurt more.

The crazy thing is, he can openly admit his shortcomings, and is making huge progress at present, but will he get his eyes tested and to something about that blind spot of his? Will he hell! (And he calls me mule-headed?)

And yes, of course I should not point fingers at him, Karen. I know only too well that whenever anyone points a finger at another, there are always THREE FINGERS POINTING BACK AT THEMSELVES! (Capitals intended to convey that I am, in fact, shouting back at myself from the screen!) LOL

He is now plotting another attempt (sigh, and eyes to the ceiling) and has found himself what he believes to be a real champion in his corner, and one capable of talking me around to his point of view... Bad move, bad old kitty. Wily old Wolves and Grizzle-grey old Wildcats don't make for good bedfellows, they simply share fleas... and a plague of them on the pair of you, boys!

Karen, one of the great fun things about challenges, is that in some types of them, the victor gets the chance to rename the loser -signifying a competitor's death and rebirth in the challenges. Will, last night as I was typing that other long post to you,I had a premonition that I'd win this challenge, and that I got to rename them Catgut and Mincemeat... Of course, I might have briefly nodded off in the chair and it been just a dream, but don't you thing those names rather apt? Surely Mincemeat isn't that far removed from Fruitcake, which was a name I was once able to award one of them, ;)

What do you think, Karen? Catgut with a grizzle-grey mullet, and Mincemeat in an ever-so-posh three piece suit that his lovely wife has just bought for him. 57 years old and the future Mr Mincemeat's never experienced the pleasure of wearing a smart suit, well-starched shirt and the the most amazing tie I've seen with little pink porky pigs all over it! After triple helpings of death by chocolate pudding that I heard Mr. Mincemeat ate last night, what tie could be better? LOL

(There, that'll give HIM something to think about for calling me a female Sumo wrestler! (Even if he has a point, I've neither tried to hide or deny my weighty problem! ;) Cheer up, Mr. Mincemeat, weight gain, in your case, is probably a sign of middle aged spread and a bit of maturity finally starting to penetrate your soon-to-be-smrtened-up-SCALP! :)

As I said, Karen, I am going to have so much FUN with this challenge! :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why don't you tell me more about your challenge with this new diagnosis and perhaps some more of your goals?
« Last Edit: 18/06/2008 18:24:13 by Karen W. »

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Hi Karen,

If you take a look at the second post down in the thread at this link: Dragon's Fire Challenge you will see that I speak there about the fear of the unknown.

Despite all the fun and games and confusions in the run up to the actual 'live battle challenge', in which my defence partner is, as yet, untried and only qualified last weekend to play challenges at that level, my personal goals are very simple - to win the battle and also conquer my own fears of the unknown.

In that, both my defence partner and I have emotions in common, and all are rooted in fear. His, I know to be groundless, however much self-confidence he lacks now. (Although I think he's already on his way to discovering plenty of that. ;) )

I don't fear the cancer, but rather the possible effects of a cocktail of chemotherapy drugs, coupled with a high level of sensitivity to all manner of medications that experience has taught me can directly impact on my other health issues, is very much an unknown quantity.

There are quite a few things I've not yet mentioned here of my history, but that I sense could be relevant, and there appears to be a pattern that emerges each time I have one of the really bad flares. Something simple triggers the back to spasm and inflame, drugs go into my system (whether or not to address the back/nerve pain) and my own natural body chemistry goes haywire. The night before last I slept; the two before that I didn't, and last night I've not slept at all :o yet again - and this sort of thing has been happening for the last six weeks or so.

I'll think things are settling down at last again, and then something as simple as a sneeze, or trying to put a sock on for myself, will cause a twinge in my back between the shoulders and away we go again!

All this time I am doing what I can to keep my head together, because I know only too well how volatile that can be, and how this old dragon's tongue is her own worst enemy, as well as her best friend at times! Head attacks lead to mouth attacks, and the missiles aimed and thrown in the battle challenges have nothing on those that can start flying arould when the head goes on a rampage.

Lose control of it, and I don't just burn bridges, Karen. The waters that flow under the bridges turn to vapour from the tongue's heat and the river beds themselves end up parched and cracked - or so I am told.

One thing is certain, I can't afford to make enemies of those whom I need to trust and to help me through the cancer treatment and into recovery. They are the experts when it comes to cancer, but my head is my own responsibility and area of expertise, and I am the one accountable for the consequences if I don't deal with it. It is scary enough for me to do that under normal circumstances, has been quite a battle over the last six weeks and I still feel as if I am toxic inside and haven't cleared my system, so God alone knows how it's going to be once another lot of toxic chemical are being pumped in because none of the medical staff whom I've asked so far seem able to give me the answers I need to prepare for that battle. Lol

All I can do is practice what I am familiar with in a positive way, and try to deal with the negative as they raise their heads instead of projecting and allowing my fears the upper hand.

It is one thing to talk the talk to my new younger game partner, but I have to walk it, too. That is something that the two guys that will be opposing us in the next battle will most certainly be ready to take advantage of if I don't. Lol For anything and everything I might put out in the type of battle game we'll be playing, they will learn from and fling back at me threefold at the first opportunity - and I just might need them to do that for me, too! lol

Nothing like preparing the ground and training the troops in advance seems a sensible option and more likely to prove effective if the front-line attack on the cancer cells knocks out a bit more of this old dragon's immune system than is desireable!

Apart from which, I enjoy it! I might as well make use of the chaos as sit around wallowing in it whilst doing nothing.
« Last Edit: 19/06/2008 06:37:57 by OldDragon »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link and that made things much more clear.. thank you... and I wish you all lots of success in your Challenges.

karen

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Thank you, Karen. :)

I suspect our opponents are already a little jittery now, judging from the feedback that I have received from my 'spies'. Those being other players whom I have keeping a subtle eye on them for the signs of unease. ;) Most certainly SIMike (also a member here) seems to have been affected by some things that I posted last night and towards the end of the posts in the thread at the previous link. ;) If only the fear of the unknown fate of that 'scalp' of his than I won, and for the next year. Lol

Although not showing on the board where the link is yet, a different group's members are doing a challenge for charity and trying to guess what fate will befall that scalp. There are some very interesting options being bet on, too, most imaginative ones that I wished I'd thought of, but my decision had been made and given in a sealed envelope to the challenge adjudicator and poor old Mike knows it can't be changed now, and when he will given the news, too. I posted somewhere that he'll love it - but that was not as a promise, so I know he believes it a threat. :D He could well be right! Lol Let him sweat on his fear of the unknown - or deal with it. It's his choice and he knows it, and how to do it. Only pride and vanity keep getting in his way! Lol (Which he also knows, and has yet to deal with!)

As for the other one, fate has intervened a little, much to the amusement of many pals. His wife is a lovely woman, but her first language is not English, and sometimes that leads to misunderstandings - especially when it comes to the challenges. Before I issued the challenge to him, I spoke to his wife and asked what she would like to happen to her husband if I were able to beat him. (We always involve the nearest and dearest in these things because the 'fear' has to be a real one to the combatants, and for the challenges to have that extra edge they need at this level.) She wanted a really good make-over for him, top to toe and for him to smarten up a lot and also to be able to burn all his tatty and smelly trainers on a bonfire. I can see no harm in that and she deserves what she wants, too. Again, it's a fear of the unknown at stake here too. Dressing smartly will take that fellow way out of his comfort zone, believe me! Lol He even prefers to work nights only at work, when there is only a skeleton staff present and no clients, so that he can indulge his obsession for dressing down... right down to tramp in the gutter level, much of the time! Brilliant mind in his particular area of expertise, but the only time he'll dress up is when involved with the am-dram group or to entertain the children, and she can hardly take a 'Big Bad Wolf' with a bush tail and talking in howling wolf tones, and two little girls dressed as Red Riding Hood shopping, even if she can tolerate such eccentricity in her living room, can she? ;) Let's face it, if he can dress like that to please the kiddies, surely he can put on some dressing up clothes to please his wife? What is he so afraid of? Growing up or growing old, perhaps? ;) The former may  never happen, but the latter is a possibility, unless his wife carries out her threat to make mincemeat of him! ;)

As for that young lad, I met his girlfriend last night and asked her what she would like to happen to him in the event of the challenge taking various courses. She asked for only one thing. That his present playing and group related ID names of 'Virgin Soldier' & 'Sleeps With Dogs' were relaced ASAP! Lol - I can't say I blame her either, she is a most attractive young woman, with a terrific personality and sense of humour.

All we have to do now is to achieve as much and as many of the goals for everyone taking part, and the outcome of that is still very much unknown - but I'm certainly unafraid of that battle, whatever the outcome for me. I would far rather expose my fears and vulnerabilities as I recognise those, and have them attacked and strengthened in the process, than I would try to hide them from view and or rent my head head out to Fear to play football inside it.

Offline SIMike

• First timers
    • View Profile
I knew it was a mistake to post in this thread as soon as I started typing. Could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end...

I will be a brave puddycat and fess-up...
newbielink:http://www.lyricsdepot.com/hot-chocolate/it-started-with-a-kiss.html [nonactive]

Except

It started with a sneeze that brought me to my knees
So do not hurt me please or leave me  [:-'(] in the cold, cold breeze...
  [:I]

newbielink:http://www.lyrics007.com/Seven%20Lyrics/Crying%20In%20The%20Wind%20Lyrics.html [nonactive]

Or would this one help my case?
newbielink:http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/roy+orbison/only+the+lonely_20118986.html [nonactive]

If you will marry me, I'll  sing to you sleep every night. I'll even accept you doing as you wish with my scalp - or doing as I don't wish and for as long as you wish, but please let me in through you catflap and let me have a cuddle cos even daft old pudddycats need to be needed sometimes. Even by Grumpy Old Dragons. Please? xx

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Mike... ROFPMSL, ya daft old whoosy!

However, thank you for all the clues... you are still gonna be Catgut!

Karen... Do you see what I have to put up with? This after severe sleep deprivation spanning several days, and with a battle challenge to fight with him and his Wily Wolfie playmate. From the near 'Death of a Salesman' frame of mind of yesterday, this is HIS way of providing me with a dose of mind altering chemicals, because he know only too well that laughter is likely the only medication I dare take in the circumstances and along with aspirin.

Of course, he has an ulterior motive for playing the Naked Psychologist like this and certainly some personal motivation and agendas... Not least of those survival!

This will be my clue for him, Karen: http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/jefferson_airplane/embryonic_journey.html

A little voice from the long ago past and a very long night's battle that he'll never forget. It should tell him everything he needs to know, even if little he might want to know. ;) (I love that piece of music.)

I had good news this morning  after contacting the specialist nurse at the hospital - she's been in touch with the district nurse and this drain IS coming out this morning! YES! I can then fill the bath, stretch out and soak my back and all the rest of my muscles that have been screaming out for it for so long now. With luck, I'll even manage to fall asleep in the bath and far enough away from the phone and the risk of hearing anymore salesmen with a deathwish! Lol

Once relaxed, refreshed and with a good bit of fodder of the protein kind, I'll be able to start powering-up for the Challenge and getting ready to tackle a meal of a very different proportions... That might well play games as a Wildcat Team member, but truly is a big whoosycat really - and I'd say few would disagree with the proof above! Lol :D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yep I see indeed!

Nice clue! LOL..

I am glad they removed the drain as I stated in the other thread.. I hope your bath and soak are great and a little safe shuteye comes with it!
Good luck with your day today!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums