The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does a body ever sneeze while sleeping, unconcious or in coma???  (Read 18099 times)

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
Thanks, Karen. :) Things improving greatly here now - but taking measures to keep the wound in my side open and weeping for at that. More than one type of thing is better out than in, eh?

Still a few hours to go before we play the game challenge, but with the Wolves' Shaman's defender already gutted (his last life in the game as he lost a couple earlier) he has paid the ultimate price to defend the Shaman, who is on his own now, and well set up by events for the Virgin Soldier to count coupe on a considerable  scalp in the game... He can run, but he can't hide. ;)

I'll have to start getting ready soon, and have livestock to feed later. Managed some meditation, but no sleep still, and getting closer to the final part of the challenge means I'm unlikely to sleep now until after than and when able to finally bring my head down to earth and rest if that proves an especially stimulating battle.

In reality, and physically, there won't be a lot of effort needed or energy expended for me to play my part, however it might come over online. The reality is that my missiles can be fired from a comfy armchair and I'll have a nice, refreshing cool drink made from things like elderflowers, applejuice and spring water with perhaps a few spring water ice cubes in if I need cooling down watching that your lad's play.

Probably the hardest thing I will have to do is discover the name he is intended to be given at his initiation to play at this level. However, I trust that will come to me, rather that me have to do much searching in any spirit world. I didn't have much trouble locating SIMike's new one, and as now applied to him over on the TRPD board. (He, he, he! ;) )

I hear that the Shaman's wife has been busy shopping again, and he's feeling distinctly uncomfortable everytime he discovers a price ticket lying around or in the rubbish bin! Honestly, I didn't tell her to help my cause by spending any money on his potential new wardrobe, but she is a determined woman, and isn't about to let this opportunity slip through her hand whatever happens. Lol I have a feeling that, win or lose in the challenge, he'll still end up wearing those smart new clothes - probably into rags too, and just so that he can ensure he gets value for his money!

We are getting there, Karen, but I must more on from here now.

Until next time, may the Spirit of the Journey Ride with You...

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 Your welcome! I am glad things are improving there. You have come a long way.I do understand and I would not doubt it may come over on line.. Its a battle for sure.

Hey send me some of that apple juice and or those elder flowers.. sounds like a plan to sit back and watch them together!

Things seem to be moving along and I am glad you did so well.

Please take care and get some rest if possible lots more to do!
« Last Edit: 27/06/2008 16:02:57 by Karen W. »

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Elder flowers and healing apples on their way through cyber space to you, Karen.

Sniff the air and you'll catch their scent.

I buried my nose in some elder blossom this evening when I went to lock up my poultry. Feels as if I still have its scent inside me, too. The apple juice just goes down my neck, though. ;)

Thinking of you, and as promised in my pm. (((Hugs)))

A funny for you... I have the same faux leopard spotted throw around my shoulders right now as I wore last Friday night and when all the positive energy was flying around. The throw still feels charged with it - and the scents of that gathering, too.

Who know but what it's captured something more too? I feel remarkably serene and peaceful (for me) sitting here under it... Reckon I'll put it to the test once my chemo cycles start. ;)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the good wishes and virtual lovelies.. They feel good..

My family bought me a lovely faux leopard print bedspread so soft and a couple pillows to match.. I love it unfortunately so does Rocky and I try to keep a throw over it so he doesn't fill it with hair.. although I probably couldn't see it anyways.. LOL He is a good dog! I need to send it to the dry cleaners and get it cleaned...

I don't think I know what elder flowers look or smell like but they must be nice!

Thanks for all the positive energy!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Snap! My Scampi and Kira think my snow leopard throw is most certainly theirs, too, and I know just what you mean about dog hairs.

Really must go now and turn the PC off, else I'll never sleep and make it to that appointment. I've been looking for ideas to amuse my grandson with on the net. He loves things like telephones and baby monitors, and has a wicked sense of humour. It is looking increasingly like my son and grandson will be moving in to live with me, and once I can sort out room for storage of all my clutter. It's amazing what uses the bedrooms have been put to since I no longer attempt to sleep upstairs! There's no bathroom up there and this place is only a small cottage, so I had to have a bathroom built as a downstairs extention. When I fist moved here, there wasn't anything, and even the toilet was outside on the yard. ;) Freezing in the winters. We used to have to place ould newspapers on the toilet seat to warm it up, but I daresay with global warming, that wouldn't ne needed today?

Must go, it is light again already outside here and the birds are singing.  :o
« Last Edit: 25/06/2008 05:36:46 by OldDragon »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
This place used to be that way when we moved here in 1967. Outside out house and all!

Glad things have changed also. LOL..

Ok.. Sleep well and long..Good night and good morning to you!

hugs, Karen

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I managed a couple of hours or so dozing in the bath early yesterday morning, Karen, but nothing since that. My body's showing the signs, especially with an increase of the oedema in my legs, but my head still seems to be functioning. It could be that I drank too much coffee for me in the hospital yesterday and when I had to stay awake?

How we manipulate our bodies with the aid of this or that stimulant or depressant, eh?

I am doing it now, in a way, because I can tell the pollen is rising and I'm trying to blow my nose to avoid the onset of sudden sneezing sessions that could, in turn, escalate the back problem yet again. I have nasal sprays, but don't find them very effective. I also have anti-histamine pills, but they are the ones that can make me feel drowsy, and I'd rather wait and take them at night to attempt to get my system back into a normal routine and in tune with the rest of the world in this time zone. If I start sneezing a lot now, it's only a matter of time before my back will flare again and big time, and the whole wretched cycle will kick off yet again.

Over the years, and until moving here in 1978, I lived in many different places, including caravans and bedsit sized flats that were attached to seasonal or temporary jobs. Few of those had indoor facilities and often no running water either. Water had to be carried in in containers and from taps on the yards. A couple of places had nearby streams, pools or waterfalls, and in summer months it seemed like fun back then to take a towel and soap and to bathe or shower in freezing cold water. I used to think it invigorating, and a great way to view wildlife early in a morning, too. Once, I was lying in a pool almost submerged and with just my face out of the water, when I heard a lapping sound. A fox was taking a drink at the water's edge and not 10' from me! Another time in the same pool, a heron joined me, and I watched it looking for fish for several minutes before it decided to fly on to look for breakfast elsewhere. The pool was only 18" - 2' deep, and at one point, if I'd blown air toward it, I could have ruffled its feathers. That really was a magical moment.

Some of these experiences have been included in stories I made up for my son when he was little or in some of the drama or writers' groups' activities...

...Bathed with the heron at the water's edge,
Swam with the coot by the moorland  sedge.
Watched as the swallow swooped to drink
And felt the waters rise and sink
As the sweating horse plunged withers high
Close where my body was want to lie
And I swam with the trout in its rainbow skin
And reached in vain for its feathery fin...'

...are all real experiences that, although didn't happen at once or even on the same day or the same year, have happened at some point, and have found their way into various role-play activities and, perhaps the character of the shamaness or crone that I've played for a while now. Perhaps, because of this, and how some viewing have known me a long while know and even witnessed some of the events that I bring into the drama, it helps to explain why some find it difficult to distinguish between fantasy and reality? Especially why some of the youngsters perhaps think I am something I'm not or more than I am? They can identify me with a role/character, but then wonder why anyone who has done some of the role-play things can't suddenly cast a spell to cure themselves or another person of some illness or disability? I wish I could!

You would be surprised by some of the things people have asked me to do for them - and the people who have asked, too. I once had a local dignitary's wife ask me if I could tell her whether he was having an affair with a female councillor, of all things! That WAS a weird one, because she brought with her a newspaper clipping with a photo of the two of them standing next to one another at some function that the press had reported on. There were all the subtle signs of something more than a business relationship going on in that picture, but who am I to come out with anything that could damage a couple's longstanding marriage with only a newspaper photo to go on as evidence? The poor woman was desperate to know, one way or another, and I was just acting a part at a gathering for charity!

She already knew the answer, and far more than ever I could tell her, but wanted to stay in denial and for everything to go back to how it had once been in their marriage - but that just wasn't going to happen, and she was in a dreadful state emotionally.

I simply said that she already knew the answer she sought and had no need of me. I watched her literally letting her stress go in front of me and putting away her handkerchief. Her expression changed completely, and when she stood up to leave, she opened her purse and put 20 in the pot for the cause.

'Thank you,' she said, 'now I know what I have to do to move on with my life.'

I wished her well, and off she went with a lot more energy and determination than she'd arrived with - and yet I'd done nothing! I learned later that she'd been granted a divorce on the grounds of his adultery, and that he'd then married his mistress. I also learned that she'd told friends that a 'clairvoyant' had told her what to do! I hope she'd not been referring to me, because that I am not, and have never claimed to be one! :D
« Last Edit: 26/06/2008 11:20:00 by OldDragon »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Beautiful Poetry you have written.

I am sorry for that women in your story but also glad that she can have some closure and perhaps one day some emotional relief from finally being able to face it and move on in her life. Its funny how sometimes you don't have to say much of anything but it is enough to set some one free. Just enough to have them look to themselves and realize what is already known deep inside of their heart!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Thank you, Karen. That bit of verse was originally done as dialogue for a role I played in one of the am-dram works. Then my character was 'White Crow' but the style is similar to that attributed to the Celtic tradition. Have you ever read the Mabinogion? That is a collection of Welsh tales from the middle ages. Or perhaps you have read of Taliesin, who was believed to have been a bard who sang at the courts of Celtic kings?

Yes, I also felt for that woman, but it surprised me that she would have been someone to seek that sort of answer in the manner that she did. Or perhaps more accurately, to seek some sort of confirmation of what she already knew, and in that manner? It made one wonder if she had friends, or had perhaps other personal issues and insecurities to deal with too?

How many people would attend something that is clearly an am-dram gathering and not a spiritualists' convention, or even a fun fair's clairvoyant, and ask that sort of a serious question and realistically expect some sort of divine guidance, surely? Leaving and divorcing an unfaithful husband is a life changing issue.

In that context I was simply an actor, and an amateur one at that! It could have been anyone in that costume, and playing that role. (Even a certain local am-dram organiser who is forever telling me I should get more sleep! - Thank goodness she's not in the same AD company that I belong to! LOL)

We don't do the 'cross my palm with silver' routine though, we just have a collection plate with a note that asks people to contribute what the can or wish to the cause/s being supported by the event and only IF they feel what they have learned is meaningful to them. No payments are asked for upfront or expected anyway. I've had people come in with coppers in their pockets and felt guilty after that they can't put more in the pot, but I just say to make a donation to their favourite charity of cause when they are in a position to. They feel better then, and I'd bet most do so, too, and for their own sake more than anything else. It's perhaps a sort of debt they feel they owe, but only they put any pressure on themselves to do so.

But back to sneezing... I eventually got to sleep last night and managed about 6 hours, but woke with a terrible tickle in my nose! Thankfully, I managed to sort that with a good blow before any sneezing started! ;) It's raining here now and has been almost all day, so will help to keep the pollen levels down. I have yet to go and see to the horses for the evening though, and they are still expecting a haynet to nibble on when standing around inside the shelter. I think it is the youngster who scoffs most of it, and Merlyn just helps because he indulges her. They are funny together, but that hay can set off my sneezing fits. Fingers crossed it doesn't today, as my back feels a bit fragile, despite the sleep/rest.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It does sound as though she already knew in her heart.. she just needed confirmation of her own thoughts!

Hope your sneezing is at bay today!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Doc's put me on a non-drowsy antihistamine... dread it when they start haymaking, though. ::)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums