The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Topsy Turvy World  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Topsy Turvy World
« on: 15/11/2004 23:29:53 »
Was just wondering if anyone has any idea why the image sent from our eyes is interpreted upside down, to make it the correct way up in our brain. I figure that it wouldn't make any difference to us working in the real world, since our brain would use gravity as some kind of reference to actual direction???? The only time I can think where it would be a problem is in the ocean where the effects of gravity are reduce due to boyancy etc. plus under the water is a truly 3D environment with full freedom to move around??? Is this trait of seeing things how they are come from the sea???? Or is it simply just in the long run more beneficial for some reason? Someone please help i've been thinking about this for a while...

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 15/11/2004 23:31:43 by Ultima »

Offline duncan

• View Profile
Re: Topsy Turvy World
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2004 16:15:53 »
It took some time to understand your problem, and then some time to think about it. But, I don't believe that the image in your eyes, after being reversed by your eyes lens, is reversed again by the brain. It just doesn't matter. Only because of logic and didactical reasons whe think that the brain turns the image from the eye up side down again. It is better comprehensible that way.

--- man is twice the worm it used to be ---
« Last Edit: 16/11/2004 16:16:52 by duncan »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2004 20:32:44 »
So what about when we stand on our heads and watch TV.... after a while it "looks" the right way up, or atleast it does for me (I put this to the test [xx(] i don't recomend it :D). I guess it is kind of an unanswerable question..?

wOw the world spins?

Offline duncan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/11/2004 08:36:40 »
Maybe one of the medical people can tell us more. From tv I know that lots of experiments have been performed with special goggles and people to wear them. These goggles would turn the world up side down or provide a mirror image. Seems that the brain is able to adapt to every image provided. If the goggles were removed the people again needed time to adapt.

How long did it take for you to see your tv right way up? I might try it at home.

btw
Under water you still have the same gravity - in space though...

--- man is twice the worm it used to be ---

Offline duncan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2004 08:55:42 »
A bit of historical info, though not the answer:
newbielink:http://www.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/alan.johnston/Theories.html [nonactive]

And a document, which might contain some answers (i didn't read it)
newbielink:http://www.dsls.usra.edu/meetings/bio2001/pdf/186.pdf [nonactive]

I just love google
« Last Edit: 17/11/2004 09:04:37 by duncan »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 17/11/2004 09:11:50 »
Ahh but under water you have boyancy. Plus you can move in all directions.

It took me a few minutes to watch the TV easily upside down.

wOw the world spins?

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/11/2004 11:04:15 »
What Duncan said is very truth

Some scientists actually make a poor soul wear the special goggles that turn the image upside down. How ever after a while about a week or so the brain interpreted the image differently and turned it right way up as it originally is. Then the evil scientists took away the glasses and the poor person starts to see things upside down again.

Don't know why our eyes does this, but it's just like the structure of our eye, it is inverted. so when the light enters the pupil it first pass through the almost transparent ganglion cells and bipolar neuron then is reaches the retina? But is doesn't make our vision any less efficient.

Tom

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 17/11/2004 11:04:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums