The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does This Measure My Pulse ?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Does This Measure My Pulse ?
« on: 11/06/2008 20:41:49 »
Dear Belt Wearing Treadmillologists,

How are ewe ?...I'm well....I've lost 14lbs !..I am very proud because I am good sheep !

See this thing that I wear around my chest ?

Nice eh ?....(other equally good chest wearing pulse things are also available from other manufacturers  ;))

...and this is the back of it !

It's a thing of awe and wonder isn't it ?

So....what's going on ?...I wear this thing...it tells my treadmill to display my pulse ...which is nice ?.....how does it do that ?...there is NO physical connection between the belty thing and the treadmill !!..is it picking up electrical stuff or hearing/sensing the heart beat itself ?

ewe see....I really do not know !!......Oh how I wish I did !!....I think it's magic !!

Neil
Chest Wearing Pulse Thingy Enquirer

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2008 21:50:02 »
I don't have the answer, but congratulations on the 14 pounds!!! 

WOO HOO!!!!  YAYYY YOU!!!! 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/06/2008 21:52:04 »
I don't have the answer, but congratulations on the 14 pounds!!! 

WOO HOO!!!!  YAYYY YOU!!!! 

Awwwwwww so kind !!.....methinks it may be more than that as I haven't weighed myself for a few days....

But thank EWE anyway !!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/06/2008 23:32:18 »
Yes, Neil, I can't answer your question either but Congratulations.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2008 23:41:41 »
I think you'll find that the "belty thing" uses Bluetooth or some other short-range/low-power radio communication (much like wireless mice and keyboards) to relay your pulse to the treadmill.

The second consideration then is how the "belty thing" picks up your heartbeat in the first place. I would guess it's probably detecting the electrical impulse in your chest...
Q) If you try wearing a thin polythene food-bag between your skin and the belty-thing (at least over the suspicious looking pads embedded in the strap to the sides of the central bit) does this stop it detecting your heartrate?
Q) If you held those same pads firmly one in each hand (rather than wearing it on the chest), does it detect again??

techmind is a natural-born  reenigne esrever (!)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/06/2008 00:00:36 »
I have never seen one of those pads before. Good job Neil.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/06/2008 00:41:42 »
Yes, Neil, I can't answer your question either but Congratulations.

Well thank ewe Rosalind....your congratulations make your post just as worthwhile ..YAYYYYYYYYYYYY !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/06/2008 00:47:36 »
I think you'll find that the "belty thing" uses Bluetooth or some other short-range/low-power radio communication (much like wireless mice and keyboards) to relay your pulse to the treadmill.

The second consideration then is how the "belty thing" picks up your heartbeat in the first place. I would guess it's probably detecting the electrical impulse in your chest...
Q) If you try wearing a thin polythene food-bag between your skin and the belty-thing (at least over the suspicious looking pads embedded in the strap to the sides of the central bit) does this stop it detecting your heartrate?
Q) If you held those same pads firmly one in each hand (rather than wearing it on the chest), does it detect again??

techmind is a natural-born  reenigne esrever (!)

Brilliant !

Thank ewe very much Techmind. Gosh !...blue tooth in my treadmill !...awesome....I wonder if I can get it to Synch with my PDA !!

As a firm believer in empirical study I will indeed  try the food bag thing and report back........as far as holding it in my hands....yes ...yes...it does register...though it is sporadic and inaccurate.....additionally...even when I'm not wearing it I sometimes see the pulse thing on my treadmills' display activate......and yet the belty thing can be a good two feet away from me !!.....that's a bit spooky !!.....perhaps I have a Kirlian heartbeat that extends a few feet !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/06/2008 00:49:14 »
I have never seen one of those pads before. Good job Neil.

Why thank Ewe very much Kareny mam...I have a long way to go.....and I AM going to do it too !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/06/2008 01:07:09 »
Yes you will.. I know you will. YAYYYYYYYY!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/06/2008 13:58:20 »
17lbs now !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/06/2008 14:12:01 »
YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! Your doing so good! Congratulations.. Young man!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12/06/2008 14:31:58 »

LOL..Thank Ewe Kareny Mam........Young Lady !!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13/06/2008 13:41:22 »
The belt thing is just a microphone with a set of audio filters and an amplifier. They communicate via a short range wireless system as previously suggested - may be a custom system rather than bluetooth though. You can get quite sophisticated electro cardiograph systems that you stick on your chest but these are generally used only if a heart problem is suspected. Some of these are for ambulatory use and communicate data by wireless for recording over an extended period. Need to shave hairs off and make good electrical contacts for these so may be tricky on a sheep.

There are other sorts of pulse measuring stuff that can be used during exercise. These ones often just fit around a finger and usually detect changes in blood volume using an optical system (infra red or sometimes visible light) or sometimes physical volumetric changes. Sheep have not got fingers so there may be need to find another appendage.

Again there are more sophisticated medical systems that look at blood flow using ultrasound by measuring the doppler effect on the reflected sound. I think they all have their uses in specific circumstances but can't help but think there is a lot of Patent avoidance going on.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13/06/2008 16:39:25 »
The belt thing is just a microphone with a set of audio filters and an amplifier. They communicate via a short range wireless system as previously suggested - may be a custom system rather than bluetooth though. You can get quite sophisticated electro cardiograph systems that you stick on your chest but these are generally used only if a heart problem is suspected. Some of these are for ambulatory use and communicate data by wireless for recording over an extended period. Need to shave hairs off and make good electrical contacts for these so may be tricky on a sheep.

There are other sorts of pulse measuring stuff that can be used during exercise. These ones often just fit around a finger and usually detect changes in blood volume using an optical system (infra red or sometimes visible light) or sometimes physical volumetric changes. Sheep have not got fingers so there may be need to find another appendage.

Again there are more sophisticated medical systems that look at blood flow using ultrasound by measuring the doppler effect on the reflected sound. I think they all have their uses in specific circumstances but can't help but think there is a lot of Patent avoidance going on.

THANK YOU graham.d

Brilliant post for which I thank ewe very much indeed !

Yep, had a cardiovascular ECG recently and my chest looks like a patch work quilt where nursey had to shave me ....

Like the sound of the finger one.....I've had the oxygen version on the end of my digit a few times !! :)

Cheers and ta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13/06/2008 16:44:43 »
Oh...20lbs lost now !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13/06/2008 17:29:04 »

THANK YOU graham.d

Brilliant post for which I thank ewe very much indeed !

Yep, had a cardiovascular ECG recently and my chest looks like a patch work quilt where nursey had to shave me ....

Like the sound of the finger one.....I've had the oxygen version on the end of my digit a few times !! :)

Cheers and ta

Yeah,  I think having it on the other appendage would some not bother sheepy much!! LOL!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13/06/2008 17:29:37 »

LOL..Thank Ewe Kareny Mam........Young Lady !!
Your welcome Buckaroo!

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14/06/2008 21:22:19 »
well the belt picks up ur pulse using small pulsating arteries on ur abdomen and then it might be using some frequency to transmit the signal to ur threadmill coz in case if they wound have used wire then probably u wont be able to run on it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 14/06/2008 21:22:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums