The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Arm sleeping while I am.  (Read 3751 times)

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
Arm sleeping while I am.
« on: 17/11/2004 17:03:46 »
I sleep on my side.  When I wake up in the morning, whichever arm is on top is usually "asleep."  I could understand it if the one on the bottom were asleep instead, since I could be cutting off its circulation.

Is this a symptom of poor circulation (weak heart or something)?  I don't get cold all the time like old ladies with poor circulation do, so maybe it's something else?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Arm sleeping while I am.
« Reply #1 on: 17/11/2004 22:27:56 »
...That's a good question MooseHole, because I do suffer the same, but in the arm you have suggested you would excpect to be asleep due to being squashed....well..actually, it's generally just my hand and predominately my thumb.. ....hmmm.......wish I had an answer for you....hope one comes along......could you possibly be turning over just as you wake up  ? and in fact the arm on top is the one you actually have been sleeping on ?....don't suppose you'd know that really........sorry...no help again !!!...but I thought I'd answer your post cos it looked lonely !!!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2004 02:11:30 »
Yep, I would think it would be the one on the bottom too.  What position is the arm in when you awaken, and is it the entire arm, lower arm, or what?

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2004 19:17:14 »
My arm is on top of me, just like it was when I fell asleep.  I think it's mostly the upper arm, but I'll pay more attention next time it happens.  It doesn't happen every time.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 19/11/2004 08:26:36 »
Arms and legs sometimes go to sleep when we do because the weight of the limb applies pressure, for a short time, to one of the nerves supplying the skin or muscles in the arm or leg, or a blood vessel supplying these nerves.

The pressure causes the nerve to temporarily stop conveying information - if this the nerve is crushed for an extended period of time a more serious manifestation - Saturday Night Palsy (see http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=1463&REPLY_ID=15392) can occur.

However, in your case, it seems strange that it's not the arm you are lying on, which means that you should look 'upstream' for the cause of the problem. The nerve supply to the arms emerges from the neck in a cluster of nerves called the brachial plexus.

It's possible that one of the brachial roots is being squashed in the neck by your sleeping position. Some people have cervical ribs (tiny extra ribs projecting from the lowest cervical (neck) vertebrae). These could be pressing on your brachial plexus when you lie awkwardly in bed.

Does it happen every night ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/11/2004 16:54:00 »
No, this happens maybe once a week on average.  How could I figure out if I have cervical ribs?  I thought cervixes were for pussies.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/11/2004 16:54:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length