The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can I donate my still-living (but somewhat worn) body for medical research?  (Read 74690 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hope your headache's now disappeared, Karen?

It turned out that I'd managed to inflame a spinal root nerve rather well, and after paying attention to one of the cancer doctors, who was concerned about me taking the aspirins at the same time as the chemo would be affecting my blood! Now the next chemo cycle's had to be delayed a week while I get the spine back under control again!  ::)

Ended up having to get my doc to do a house call yesterday, and he's now prescribed Gabapentin to try and damp down the muscle spasms, as I've been feeling as if a horse has booted me in the ribs, and as a result of all the cramping chest spasms!

Yesterday I felt as if I'd an alien attempting to chew its way out of my armpit and where the last lot of surgery was! (Try explaining that to a doc and watch the cogs turning and him wondering if he should send for the men in white coats with the straight jacket!  :o  ) I am just glad  it was my own doc on duty, as he, at least, knows what I mean! ;D
Hi Alison.. It come and goes.. been getting them in the mornings and in the late evenings seems to be spiky blood pressure! I am keeping record and it seems to be starting when my blood pressure has risen!

OH dear.. thats not good.. I hope that you a have been able to get it under control this last week? I am sorry that it has been so very painful...I have never heard of
Gabapentin, is it a muscle relaxant? I am so sorry the chest spasms are terrible if they are anything like mine... They are uncomfortable and very painful. I wish you so much better!
 I would  and do known exactly what you meant by that..You describe things similar to the way that I do.. nice job! That is miserable pain and I wish I could do something to help you with it... I cry a lot.. and try all sorts of things but when you get off on your pain meds you tend to get a lot of bleed through pain and then its hard to get it under control again... which really sucks...

I hope it gets better soon and the pain gets to being more manageable.. I know how hard that can be.. Hang in there Alison..  Lots of good thoughts coming to you everyday!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thinking about you and sending get well wishes... Please feel better soon Alison!

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
Thanks, Karen. Seem to finally have the spasms back under control thanks to the extra week off from the chemo cycles, when I've been able to take the aspirins as an anti-inflammatory, but am very wary of the new medication. It was originaly designed to help epilepsy sufferers, and has some unpleasant side effects that I can do without, so don't aim to take it unless the back flares again, and then only if not alone in the house! (It zombie's me!)

BTW, sorry for the delay replying, between PC problems,  the inflamed spinal root nerve, and so much to do here, I've just not been online as much as I normally would have.

I've also been busy trying to clear the spare rooms upstairs, but still have much to do - and another chemo cycle to start tomorrow, so likely won't be feeling too well for a bit again soon. ::)

Hope things are as well as they can be with you?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
yes I am good.
happy you have it under control for now and sort that this next session is going to make you sick again..

sounds like you have been up to.. about the same as me...cleaning house throwing out junk to try to reclaim the last twenty six years of my life by getting rid of Junk... Kids stuff etc... getting the rooms back and changing everything!

please rest some and take care.... good thoughts for a good week!

karen

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Something like that, Karen! I have started a 'Disaster Blog', as my son and grandson have now moved in!  ::)

'D' Day Landings Blog

Thank goodness they will be on holiday next week!  ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
A disaster blog eh? Well I just registered and am awaiting approval by a nice staff member!

Hope the company in the house will be nice and not too overwhelming..

Happy Vacation to them and You!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I used to say I lived in a state of chaos, Karen - now I am learning what chaos is really like!  ::)

Bought my son a birthday present today - a laundry basket and a packet of washing powder. His answer to that was that it wasn't his birthday yet... If he wants his clothes used as floor cloths, then he's welcome to keep his gift unused until his birthday next month. If not, then I'd severely suggest he learns to use it early!  [:(!]

The jeans left on the bathroom floor have now been kicked around the base of the toilet bowl. IF it is splashes from the flush that soaks the floor there, he won't mind wearing his jeans again without a wash, 'cos that's the only one they're going to get until he washes them.

I have a bet on that they will still be where they are on Monday morning when he's looking for work clothes...  ;D I might even put his clean washing there for good measure, too! well, it's obvious that he thinks the place for clothes is the floor.  [8D]

Had the fourth chemo cycle today and had to be up at the crack of dawn in order to catch up on chores I needed to do before then, so feeling really tired and more than a little grotty tonight. Think I'll go to bed. I might then remember the funny comment one of the nursing staff at the cancer hospital came out with today...

Hope all is as well as possible with you, Karen?

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Hope all is well with you, Karen?

I'm finding that the chemo seems to be taking a greater toll on me the further I get into the cycles. Only two more to go, but my nails are now showing the effect of the drugs, amongst other things. Still managing to keep busy, though. :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am here.. I am sorry your chemo is finally catching up with you.. I know how that goes for sure.. Please remain strong.. I will be counting the last two down with you and sending along lots of prayers and good wishes for the best outcomes..

Busy is good I hope things are smoothing out with both the kids in the house.. I do know about chaos... My house was awful forever when the kids were here.. I must say it is pretty lonesome these days.. I have to bribe my children with apple pie or dinner to get them to visit.. the oldest boy is really good at coming and eating with me.. he likes food.. and he has learned to cook pretty good for a new bachelor.. kind of like his Dad that way and me.. He can cook! Yayyyyyy! Now if I can get him to stop subsisting on beer when he is broke.. that would be good too!

I have been occupied  painting a Barn, replica... washing my big picture glass windows and resting tons and going to the Doctor,Physical therapy twice a week,nutritionist, a councilor twice a week, and hospital runs lots the last few weeks, including a surgical support group meeting 2 hr. and 15 minute every two weeks.. And visits to the Lawyer for my social security, and a lawyer for some personal.marital things...so my life has been very busy.. I am worn out even after resting lots.. I have a 2 hour 15 minute session starting at 9:45 this morning and ending at twelve... Then helping my daughter with her Halloween Costume fitting!

Hoping thing get better soon for you.. and think of you often.. sorry I had not responded yet to your post.. I did however read it.. but wanted to find the right time to right you back... How are the horses?
I hear the weather has been a bit wet and nippy? Are you okay there for heat etc... Have you had snow...?
« Last Edit: 31/10/2008 13:41:32 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hi Alison..

I have been missing you and thinking of you... Hoping you did well through your last two Chemo's...
 I have not seen you on so am naturally a bit worried that you are really really worn out!

I am sending lots of hugs and healing wishes for you to feel better real soon..

Yours,
Karen

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Hi Karen

Alison has some computer problems and is trying to get them sorted.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hi Andrew.. Thanks,

Take care.

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Thanks, Karen and Andrew.

I have finally managed to get this old relic of a borrowed PC to access here! My usual PC needs a new HD and the engineer is dragging his feet, I fear.

Have had my latest (and last) chemo cycle postponed for a week, as I picked up a cough/cold from my grandson. Mixed feelings over that, as I was looking forwards to the cyscles finishing and being able to move on. My first radiotherapy appointment's already booked for 29th December, though.

With a bit of luck things should have calmed down on the work front by then, and I'll be able to relax more.  ;D

Hope things are okay with you, Karen? I have been thinking of you.  ;)

Andrew, one of these evenings I'll give you a ring. When would suit you best?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
  Hi Alison...
 I am ok.. no worries.. wish you were feeling better...and they had not had to postpone your chemo round!

That can be depressing..Hang in there....Sounds like they are taking good care of you with your radio treatments starting in Dec.

I just had a whole series of new lab tests done for Stanford... they haven't  let me know yet what came up this time... they are supposed to call me to reschedule  a trip down to measure the aneurysms and talk to me about test results...  hate waiting.. but the worst thing  I can think they could say is that treatment is not working... and I have heard that before.... makes me anxious and nervous..... and  am already frantic...
 I see you have been busy wth your auction... hope its going well. Its good you are staying busy.....

I hope everythings gets straightened out and you feel well soon...

Take good care...
Karen

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Hope you've had your results by now, Karen and that they were positive news. I've been thinking of you.

Have been incredibly busy lately, and still am. There seems no end to it all, but, if not managing to get through things at my usual pace, am keeping steadily busy. A bit like wading uphill through a lake of treacle and an element of an obstacle course materialising each time one blinks! ;D

Had the last chemo yesterday, and have had some nasty, dry skin problems, although one of the TRPD group members who has a website selling various cosmetics and things sent me a stack of super handcreams to try. One in particular is a  Herbal one formulated for really bad, chapped, cracked and dry skin, and that seems to be doing the trick! :) It's quite greasy, but my hands soon absorb it, the state they are in, and there must be something in the recipe - an essential oil or something - that is also easing the arthritic aches in my fingers and thumbs, now we have much  colder, frosty weather here. Rabbits on the hills must be keeping warm down in their burrows, as the local foxes have been raiding allotments in daylight hours and killing poultry. They had five of mine the other day, and came back earlier today and took another eleven, including two young ducks that were laying well. I only have four ducks, two drakes and six hens left uninjured, and three birds I found that look like they won't make it through the night, they  were so traumatised, if only seemingly slightly injured. The allotment looked as if it has been snowed on, with all the white feathers, although further down I came across more darker ones, but only four bodies remained, so the fox must have killed and returned for more of the bodies.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums