The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can I donate my still-living (but somewhat worn) body for medical research?  (Read 74646 times)

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
The best you get at Wimbledon is a flash of chest muscles if the male players change their shirts during a break. ;) I wouldn't mind at all if the men played topless. ;) Don't suppose the men would mind if the women did...

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Oh I have seen plenty chest muscles whats the fun in that!? LOL I want the full Monty!!!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Lol... Somehow I think we will both be disappointed.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL.. I don't know.. I think we need some volunteers to demonstrate for us.. I have a feeling a few studs from the forum would prove to not be so disappointing! LOL

What's that???? Do I hear a volunteer???? eh... I CAN'T HERE YOU!!  LOL LOL...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I hope you had a good day today and that you are feeling better.

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Now a 'Naked Scientists' calendar for charity might be an idea, Karen... ;) We could invite photo submissions and act as the judges, don't you think? ;D

I managed to wake up in time to get to the hospital for my appointment with the oncologist, and now have a date for the start of the chemo. That will be a combination of three drugs - FEC - 5 Fluorouracil (5-FU); Epirubicin and Cyclophosphamide. Six cycles at three week intervals and over about four months, starting 18th July, so only a fortnight away. Apparently they include an anti-nausea drug with that and given intravenously at the same time. Lots of leaflets have also been given to me to read up on, and everything from instructions in the event of catching an infection to where to get a wig! Lol

The lads are already betting on whether or not Andrew's I.B.T. will save my scalp, so that will be an interesting experiment. The hospital have offered me a 'cold cap' treatment pre chemo, which cools the head & can help to prevent the drugs reaching the hair follicles, but then that might interfer with the experiment results. (I think also the Wolf team's shaman is looking for some revenge, too, over the 'George Clooney' that his wife gave him after Natural Born Dragon and I beat him and his team mate in that last challenge, so just might find myself being challenged in the not too distant future... ;) )***

In the meantime, I have a mountain of work to address over the weekend, so don't be surprised if I'm not around much online. You could always make plans for that 'calendar' idea... ;D

(***Edited to add that i was not wrong, Karen - there was a revenge challenge issued last night. ;D The battle is on again.) Lol
« Last Edit: 05/07/2008 11:15:48 by OldDragon »

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
6 nights of IBT now - and 5 really refreshing night's sleep. My concentration on work related matters has certainly improved. Visible improvement in the oedema in my legs - can hardly wait to show my doc the evidence. Pain levels reduced, and still no sign of the stiff neck that Andrew has predicted.

What more can I say?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Now a 'Naked Scientists' calendar for charity might be an idea, Karen... ;) We could invite photo submissions and act as the judges, don't you think? ;D

I managed to wake up in time to get to the hospital for my appointment with the oncologist, and now have a date for the start of the chemo. That will be a combination of three drugs - FEC - 5 Fluorouracil (5-FU); Epirubicin and Cyclophosphamide. Six cycles at three week intervals and over about four months, starting 18th July, so only a fortnight away. Apparently they include an anti-nausea drug with that and given intravenously at the same time. Lots of leaflets have also been given to me to read up on, and everything from instructions in the event of catching an infection to where to get a wig! Lol

The lads are already betting on whether or not Andrew's I.B.T. will save my scalp, so that will be an interesting experiment. The hospital have offered me a 'cold cap' treatment pre chemo, which cools the head & can help to prevent the drugs reaching the hair follicles, but then that might interfer with the experiment results. (I think also the Wolf team's shaman is looking for some revenge, too, over the 'George Clooney' that his wife gave him after Natural Born Dragon and I beat him and his team mate in that last challenge, so just might find myself being challenged in the not too distant future... ;) )***

In the meantime, I have a mountain of work to address over the weekend, so don't be surprised if I'm not around much online. You could always make plans for that 'calendar' idea... ;D

(***Edited to add that i was not wrong, Karen - there was a revenge challenge issued last night. ;D The battle is on again.) Lol

A Calander could be a good fund raiser... LOL.. Could be a "good fun raiser" too for us Girls! LOL.. Geesh  I better behave myself before someone kicks me in the backside!!

You start your Chemo rounds on my Anniversary..

I am glad they are doing the anti nausea drug... When my mom did her Chemotherapy.. She tried it without because of the expense, but we soon included it anyway because without it she was miserable... It is a good thing... was not mandatory here, but that has been since 92' and 93'.. so things may have changed a lot  since.. I am glad that it is on your schedule.. Its a tough process and I am thinking of you and sending you lots of good thoughts!

I hope Andrews IBT helps it seems to be really helping right now!

UH OH the revenge challenge! Good Luck.. now go kick some major butt!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Karen, I have the facilities here to print calendars, but reckon we'd struggle to find enough willing models here. ;) Lol

I can't get over the difference some decent sleep is making for me, at present. I keep expecting it to revert, because usually my expectations let me down... ;D I said to Andrew earlier this eveing, that I feel like I did about 20 years ago! (Energy-wise, at any rate.] Now I need to try and adjust the timing a bit, and so that I can function at the times 'normal' people do, instead of hitting the sack at around 4am and when the birds are waking up.

Not doing too well on the 'Revenge Challenge' front, though. I need to raise another 23.59p sponsorship before Friday before that pesky shaman has to even start putting his hand in his own pocket! Lol I reckon he must have been shaking his shaman's rattles or something, but then again, he's stirred up all manner of other groups' members for various different causes, so that I'm over a barrel! Lol He also seems to have arranged for various goods to be donated for an auction to support the same cause that he'd have to contribute to if I can get the required sponsorship, even though persuading others not to sponsor me to save his own pocket. Lol (Not that his efforts will let him off the hook! If I don't get him this time, I will another! Lol)

Quick update: Down to 13.59p now before the shaman has to start paying up! ;)
« Last Edit: 09/07/2008 00:43:25 by OldDragon »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am so glad the IBT is working for you! That is wonderful! GO GO GO! That is great!

Hope the challenge goes well!

Yeah Volunteers eh???? Hummmmmmmmm Well do we have any takers.... annonymous volunteers! LOL!! Hey Michael! How bout You Stud? Hadrian?? Neil? Ummm Doc? Jimbob? who else HUMMM??

Come now all for a good cause... Spirit lifting I say!!! YAYYYYYYYY! LOL...Lets not forget Chris Dave Ben???? LOL...

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Another GOOD day today, and despite even more rain and severe weather warnings for the area. I suspect that pesky Wolf team's shaman has been doing a rain dance because, guess what? Yes, that minimum sponsorship among has been reached, so now he has to start dipping into his own pocket to double everything raised! Lol

We have a photo shoot planned for Sunday, despite more rain being forecast, but I doubt we'll find any naked scientists hiding in the bushes... BUT, perhaps we'll find the odd stripped to the waist builder when things are able to go ahead with the work, and if we ever get any sunshine this summer?

Perhaps we should ask in the chat area, Karen? ;)

Despite having been busy all day, I still have energy remaining, and just as well because we are stocktaking at the moment, and planning another fund-raiser for the coming weekend. I just hope this good period continues for a while longer. My grandson is entering his very first dog show, having claimed ownership of the old lurcher, Scampi, who is really quiet and well behaved, and will walk quietly to heel even for a three-years old kiddie. He has been practicing hard, so I do hope the dog show isn't rained off. I could also do with a dry spell so that I can repair the windscreen wiper on the old car, too. It probably only needs the fuse dried and cleaned and a squirt of WD40. It usually breaks down this way during periods of prolonged wet weather, and when damp gets into the fuse box. (And I usually end up fumbling and dropping the fuses into obscure places when fixing it, too!  ::) Oh well, I can't expect IBT to cure peripheral neuritis as well as improve lots of other things, can I? Lol)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am glad you had another good day.. that is a prositive streak you have going for you!

How are the shamans pockets tonight?

Dang... I was thinking of putting my thumb out and hitchin a ride... !!Not just for the odd builder .. dog gone it!!

Maybe in the chat area..LOL..

Energy is so nice.. Its funny how before I took that for granted... and now I would do most anything to have that back again.. and to feel good and active....oh my.. that would be so nice....

I hope the weather is nice for his Dog Show and for your repairs... I like the rain in the winter but in the summer I like the sun and the shade! LOL..

I don't know we may be surprised at its results eh???

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I've posted an update in Andrew's varicose veins thread detailing the positives that I've noticed of late, but the biggest has to be the feeling of energy, and that has to be down to having had some restorative sleep. It's still a bit surreal, and especailly because my time clock is still only half-way to being in sinq with the 'normal world'. Lol Sleep before about 4 am is still eluding me. It's a good job I only seem to need 4 - 5 hours before waking naturally.

I managed to get the car's wiper sorted - after which job, the sun has come out, so I don't need the wiper. Lol

As for the shaman's pockets, once all the sponsorship is in, they will be lighter by a little over 130. ;D Pity it's not more, but I'm sure I'll think of a way to lighten them a bit more sooner or later - oh, and I'm now sporting a cool new haircut. Lol

Between the dog show, and Sunday's event, plus a charity auction to get organised, I may not have much free time to pop in here, but things should ease off a bit next week, and I'll try and let you know how my grandson gets on at the show. In his practice sessions, with his granddad pretending to be the judge, he has been placing himself between him and the old dog instead of really showing the dog off to the judge. Mind you, considering the dog's positively geriatric, and lies down like a frog with his hind legs stretched out behind him at frequent opportunities for a break, if nothing else, there should be some comic entertainment value to their joint performances. ;)

I do hope you are finding things a bit easier now, Karen, and that you have having some fun too.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Yes I read the updates..and am glad the inclined bed therapy seems to be helping you.. that is wonderful!I hope it improves from now on!

I am glad you sorted out the wipers on your car!

Good for the lightening of the pockets! LOL...Must be somewhat satisfying!

Nice is your cut easy to deal with?

Thats funny all my dogs have laid like that when hot or relaxing!!

I hope you are well today.. and not too tired?

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
It's a strange old world, Karen, because Tuesday I felt really well. Even my lower back eased off the aching and I managed to walk down to see to the horse and pony, and to get some exercise - and yet later today I have to attend the clinic at the cancer hospital for various tests pre-starting the chemo treatment. I'm not really surprised people tell me they can't believe I have cancer, because I find it hard to believe myself!

The only things I can feel post the surgery, is a bit of a pull down my left arm when I stretch that, and as if a ligament or something has been pulled a bit tight when they stitched me up under my armpit, and areas of numbness under there where some nerves were damaged during the lymph node clearance surgery. Even the scars seem to be fading fast. I suspect that could have been aided by me having a metal allergy, so instead of stapling me back together, as they usually seem to do these days, I was stitched up with a continuous stitch. They did the same a few years ago when I had to have a hysterectomy, and even I struggle now to see that scar. :)

My next challenge regarding the car, will be to get my son driving it. He's a bit put off by it's foot operated and hand releasing parking brake, which takes a little getting used to, as it has manual transmission instead of the original automatic gears. Alas, it's likely as eccentric as I am, but I do like the comfort of that old hauler. Also, it appeals to my sense of inverted snobbery, when I can honestly offer to deliver bags of horse manure in a Merc, even a really old one! Lol ;)

Lightening the shaman's pockets is, indeed, a satisfying feeling, although he's refusing to pay up until all the sponsorship is in. Lol

Indeed, yes, my new haircut is extremely easy to deal with. :D

My grandson managed to get a third place (out of three competitors) in the dog show. The judge looked at Scampi's teeth and asked him how old the dog was - somewhere between 11 and 14, we think - and the grandson couldn't resist adding '...but he's a good dog, and he chases rabbits and squirrels.' Then, when the old dog did his usual trick of lying down like a frog, Ethan also told the judge that he was just a bit tired and bored!  :D  Kids, eh? Mind you, he was probably right. However, 'bored' and 'boring' and recent additions to Ethan's vocabulary, and his granddad now encourages him to answer the phone for him, as he gets lots of calls from people selling things, so Ethan listens for a few minutes, then tells whoever is on the phone that they and the conversation are getting boring, and puts the phone down on them! He's also been known to ask them who is paying for the call? Also to come out with things like, 'You're not Welsh, are you?':D I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the call centres. I wonder if the people there realise they are talking to a three years old child? That especially with the way he will strings them along and makes up outrageous stories. Goodness knows where he gets his ideas from, but he is so funny, it's hard not to be amused, and laughter never far away when he is around. It's good medicine. I do hope that you are getting a good share of that, Karen.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am glad you felt well Tuesday.Sounds like you had a full day. I bet the ponies are a good distraction and they were probably glad you went to see them also~!

OH how I hate staples.. I think it is a doctors laziness.. The scars are atrocious and I was told they would be smaller because of the staples.. Bull Pucky they are wider and uglier! I have an issue with staples.. My huge heart surgery scars were carefully stitched up and they are minimal compared to these staple scars.. I hate staples... they hurt more also! I have huge long very thin hearty surgery scars that are beautiful in comparison to the scar they put in me on thanksgiving removing my Gallbladder!!!!

The Gallbladder scar is probably two inches wide 16 to 20 inches long all the way across my stomach and down to lower tummy .. Ridiculous!!!!

Sorry... Made me mad...

Third Place is great for his first show!YAYYYYYYYY!  LOL I love what kids say.. cracks me up... I sure miss them, kids that is..

I wish I could have seen him show.. I bet he was adorable... He doesn't sound precocious at all!! LOL Very cute!!

My Sarah was like that when she was a year old .. Talked up a storm and new everything.. She was very vocal on the phone and loved to answer, but she would tell it like it was .. if mom was busy she would them exactly what mom was doing so if the phone rang and she picked up You better not be doing anything to personal or she would give the details about why you could not come to the phone!!!! LOL!!

Children are good medicine.. My nieces and nephews were here a couple weeks  that was nice,, They went home to Idaho.. My other Great niece turns turns around Halloween in October.. She is in North Carolina with her Daddy for the Summer... I miss her so much!

It gets real lonesome around here. A Wonderful women from my Church and from my work comes every couple weeks and we take a drive and have lunch,, thats nice.

I have finnished a few things around the house and  its taken months to accomplish those things.. catching up my dishes was the worse part.. I couln't get them done and they kept piling up... It was killing me  to look at them.. My sister came with my other sisters ex sister in law we are all still family... and they hauled my dishes out and brought them home clean.. Has made a huge difference I cleaned the rest up and have been better able to keep them caught up.. I was just so tired and sick I couldn't even look at them... The antibiotics finally kicked in and I have some more energy not as regular as I would like but some better anyway! My inhalers have aided the chronic cough and strangling so I am breathing some better which is great!.. I still am out of breath a lot but much better then before.. I have a bit more stamina be it small at least its there it was gone before so that is good!

I hope you are well today and still feeling good.                 

Two more days eh??  You hang in there and hold on tight.. This ride is hard so don't let anyone fool you.. but keep going and no giving up! We will all be right here.. holding your hand and sending lots of hugs and support!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Glad that you have been feeling and breathing a bit better, Karen, and I know how achieving a little around the home can help lift one's spirits. I have loads of things that I need to try and get done, too. My biggest problem here is space, though, as my home is very small, and working from home adds to the clutter, too.

I can well understand you feeling mad over unnecessary scars, when there are alternatives available. Those  continuous stitches are so simple to remove, too, and no needlemarks even.

Today I met the consultant oncologist instead of her assistant, whom I spoke with last time. She seems a very pleasant and thorough woman, and was very interested in the differences the IBT has made, and wanted to know more about that, telling me that they are very open to alternative therapies at the hospital. I had blood samples taken, and all seems to be on course for Friday. It seems that some of the drugs they use for the treatment are steroid anti-inflammatories, and I'll be getting one of those amongst the cocktail. Lots of monitoring or just about everything, too, including my temperature. Least little thing out of the ordinary, and they want to know immediately. Any infections, and they have me straight into the hospital.

Apparently, after the first couple of days, it's usual not to feel too bad and until the second week, when one's immune system's at its most vulnerable and one can feel really tired etc. The third week, one starts to feel better - then it's back to the beginning again, and another cycle of chemo. ::)

Whatever, lots of work to try and tackle tonight, and loads more tomorrow, so I'd best get on, while still able to do so.  ;D I'm one of those made people who has to try and keep busy, if at all possible. If not, I hibernate and try and sleep things off, and with a 'Do Not Disturb' sign up.  :D

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Alas, Murphy's Law has prevailed! Instead of starting my first chemo cycle today, I'm about to start a course of anti-biotics! Having caught my son's cold, it's resulted in a chest infection so, of course, chemo's out of the question for now, and they'd certainly not want me passing this on to other patients and staff at the hospital.

Nothing for it but to turn it over and practice patience! At least it gives me a little more time to get on top of the many jobs demanding my attention, and while the anti-biotics do their job...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am so sorry that you got sick.. I hope they work..and get you well right away.

Yes that would be bad as you would be weakened even further... best to get better then start..Hope you both feel better soon.

Well getting more things done is satisfying...Please take care.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Alison How are you doing today.. I hope your antibiotics are kicking butt with that infection... Take care today and I am thinking of you... get well soon!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I'm slowly recovering, Karen, but they have decided today to delay my chemotherapy another week - until the 4th August - to give me a better chance of recovering from the infection. I'm getting there now, though.

How are you doing?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Glad to hear it.. I hope another week will fix it up! I am OK... tired but have a bit more energy on most days compared to before which was no energy on any days so I am OK...trying to get ready for Stanford... Just a bit, rather a lot nervous... thats all. Lots of things to make advanced arrangements for..I'd rather not think about!

Hope this weekend brings lots more healing your way!

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Glad to hear you have a bit more energy, Karen. It all helps.

Here the weather has been really hot lately, and the pollen count very high, so my breathing's not been as good as I'd like, but getting over the infection now.

My weight is still very gradually creeping down, but that may be because of having the new pony's stable to muck out in the heat! For a little one, she can't half produce some dung! Lol

She is becoming more approachable now. I groomed her this morning, and reckon a few calories were shed then, along with much perspiration! Even my specs were steaming up from the effort. I was well out of breath by the time she looked half tidy. She then promptly rolled in the shavings, so was looking as dusty as ever after that... Such is life.  ::)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Thanks Alison...

Horses are funny aren't they? My dog does that ... you get him clean and dry and smelling sweet as a dog can same;; and he sneaks out to the driveway and rolls in the dust like he were taking a bath!.. Then he walks around looking like a ghost!

They sure can be messy for ponies... where does it all come from!!! lol I MISS OUR OLD HORSE!

i AM SORRY THE HEAT AND THE POLLEN ARE SO BAD.. HERE TOO.. MY PALM TREE BLOOMED THESE HUGE FRAGRANT BLOOMS WHICH ARE NICE AND SMELL GLORIOUS BUT REEKS HAVOC WITH THE ALLERGIES!..

GLAD YOUR INFECTION IS CLEARING!  Sorry for the caps.. I keep hitting the caps key on accident!

« Last Edit: 29/07/2008 01:37:11 by Karen W. »

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Well, the news and weather forecasts say that the season for grass pollen is almost over... funny how, around here, there are acres and acres of grasses that are clearly in flower.  ::)

The latest big bale of hay also seems to be well loaded with pollen, too. It certainly gets to my chest when filling the net for the little pony. All being well, she will be able to go out to graze this weekend, though. I just hope I can catch her again then.  :D

Perhaps I'll be able to make a start on mouthing the  young filly then too? She's only two, but turning into quite a little tank and full of herself, so I'm hoping to long-rein her a bit, too. Next year, the plan will be to break her quietly to harness and a little trap. She's too big already for my grandson to ride, and far too small for me, so I hoe to have some fun with her in a trap instead.  ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums