The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you help me fix my usb and keys on my laptop?  (Read 11870 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
The t and y and the up and left arrows and the shift and the backspace don't work all the time on the laptop. As you can tell they are now, but sometimes they do not. What can I do about this? I took all the keys off and blew it with compressed air the other day. There was alot of hair in there I got it all out, but it still isn't working like it should. I just installed a new driver a few months ago and they haven't came out with a new one sence. Beacuse it is an old computer..

And also my usb drive on the back on my laptop doesn't work that well. I think someone might have had something in there and then like moved it just right and messed with the wiring or whatever is back there. But maybe its a driver problem. Here's a list of drivers. I don't know which one to use..

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P3C_C610&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Thanks
« Last Edit: 16/06/2008 02:58:36 by Simulated »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me fix my usb and keys on my laptop?
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2008 16:37:25 »
Inexpensive keyboards are available which plug into a USB socket on your laptop ...
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-7771.aspx
This may serve as a temporary measure until you track down a proper replacement.

If it's that Dell Latitude 610, a replacement keyboard costs $57
http://www.bztechservices.com/delllaptopkeyboard.htm

If several keys have failed simultaneously the check the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the PCB:
check the plug is inserted properly and the check the ribbon cable for broken connections (cracks).

The flexible membrane under the keyboard can crack causing an intermittent fault (broken connection),
this can sometimes be fixed using "electrically conductive paint" to paint over the cracked tracks...
http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Electrically_Conductive__Silver_Paint_36275_v2.htm

Oh you're 14; ask a competent adult to check & repair your computer.
« Last Edit: 15/06/2008 16:42:46 by RD »

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Can you help me fix my usb and keys on my laptop?
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2008 03:05:02 »
Haha. I do all my computer repairs. Scary eh? But we are in between fixing this old one up or getting a complete new one. 55 dollars ram, 15 dollars for a new keyboard, 40 dollars for a new battery. And the usb that I just added don't work to good and the mouse still does its crazy hey i have a mind of my own thing after i installed the newest driver a few months ago. and a new laptop that has more ram, bigger harddrive, lots of new stuff for around 600 dollars..idkk

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2008 15:05:23 »
All the keys are working just fine now..Maybe it heard I'm gonna get rida it and it said ohh noo lets start working now ha. And i'll check that out.

Offline Poetic-Justice

• View Profile
    • Binary Revolution
« Reply #5 on: 20/06/2008 18:08:30 »
YOU DIDN"T TRY AND JAM THE USB STICK INTO THE PRINTER PORT WITH A HAMMER DID YOU!!!

Offline tedstruk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/06/2008 06:46:53 »
All computers are affixed with a system which controls all things in them, it's called debug. from the DOS prompt, type "debug" there should be an input area.

The area from 100-1000 is usually part of the system, and it should debug without a hitch, but on new machines, many have soft boots and do not use a system partition at all. So try to stay out of 100-1000 because it may be soft booted and not actually available to the user.
If you leave this section alone and debug almost all of the rest of the system, you will probably find errors that will repair as you go.  It will take a long time, sometimes many days before you clean out all the bugs. If a debug command repeats itself until you puke, that means you have probably had a replication error(pushing the go key over and over), if the "IP" number is not increasing every time you push enter your system is corrupt. answer DEBUG 100-1000, then shut down.
for everything else-
At the prompt, type "D SS:1000" and press enter. This dumps the Stack Segment(SS) from line 1000 onto the debug screen in front of you. Trace the function by typing "T" and pushing enter.  In the lower right corner of the screen, there might be some numbers like DS:E2C6 03CE... If there are any numbers there- that means there is a bug there, and you need to check it for operability.  So type in the "D" for dump a space and then the numbers eg."DS:E2C6" to dump the Data Segment(DS).  Then check the first two numbers in the dump. They should be the numbers in the corner with the dump address eg.03CE and they should be paired backwards and the dump should read "CE 03" instead of 03 CE in the dump.  If the dumps first numbers says "CE 03", the bug was cleaned out. If they don't your system might be corrupt, so restart by pushing ctrl+alt+del once.  Don't push buttons over and over, it fills the memory and the system slows down!  As you go along, you will find that your system will start to react by dumping errors and saying things like "OE exception" and your system might hang quite a few times.  That's because your system is automatically going into debug mode, and is fixing whatever is wrong with it.  It is going to be very angering...but your patience will be rewarded with a bugless system.  If you run into an error that says the system cannot continue, and you restart your computer and find that a portion of your hard drive has bad sectors, get a new hard drive immediately. Bad drives are the major cause of computer malfunctions.
  A hint on debugging: There are no short cuts, and if you type the wrong numbers, you will get the wrong answers. Computers do not think, they just run programs. They need to be debugged. Debugging is a simple but timely way to fix any errors that might be in your system.  It takes a long time and is sometimes the only option for older machines. If you get mad, shut it down, put your computer on display in a nice place for a while, until you forget what made you mad.  Then instead of junking your machine, start fixing it again, only this time, remember it can't think, it can only run programs. If you have a corrupt system, and you can't fix it, then consider getting a new system.  If you have a good system and you have a bad modem or drive, your system will flag it and it will be obvious what the problem is.  Try removing all your extras, and reinstalling your OS or getting a new OS(use only legal authentic products), if your hardware is good, it's your software for sure!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2008 21:01:54 »
Ummmm how do I get to this DOS thingy? Command Prompt?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2008 21:01:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums