The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do some people blow up electrical equipment/computers simply by using them?  (Read 13946 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This has happened to me. I am a bi-polar sufferer and when I am in a manic high it always happens. Why? I have no idea.

Alan

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
I wish I knew why, too, Alan. However, something that I have observed from chatting to a number of people who had experienced similar things, is that without exception to date, all have a higher than average IQ.

Can you recall what sort of activities you would have been participating in at the times it's happened to you? Were they complex scientific or creative things that really gripped your interest and enthusiasm, for example?

Would you describe yourself as having an above average IQ?
« Last Edit: 29/06/2008 14:04:14 by OldDragon »

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Olddragon,

Can you recall what sort of activities you would have been participating in at the times it's happened to you? Were they complex scientific or creative things that really gripped your interest and enthusiasm, for example?

Would you describe yourself as having an above average IQ
?

When it haapens to me the activity I will be doing is deep profound thinking. Indeed my avatar was "The Thinker" but I no longer use it as some people take it to mean I am the only thinker out there and take offence.

While I think humility is the most beautiful English word, my IQ is 140 +. I seem to think things that others leave alone, especially when in a manic high. Such as infinity, eternity , absence of existence, god , why is there evil. Sometimes I frighten myself and others who often go blank and simple can not comprehend me at all.

I am also very creative especially in poetry

It is lonely man!! Really lonely

Regards

Alan

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
Alan, what you have said is right in line with what we have been discovering - IQs in excess of 140 and certainly the shaman is a very creative, deep thinking chap.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Olddragon,

There is a quote that rings true.

People who have an IQ of 140+ waste half of their lives in school, those with an IQ 160+ waste all of their time in school.

Th brain is said to have the capacity to hold ten times the information in the library of congress. The possible switching states in the brain exceeds in number all the fundamental particles in the universe.

Do we really utilise all this amazing potential?

Alan

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I read somewhere that 85% of the brain's capacity isn't used. Not sure how anyone worked that out, but I do recall numerous teachers from my own youth screaming stuff like... 'You are not here to think, but to learn facts!'

Alas, I failed to learn many of the 'facts' they aimed to teach me. Instead I theorised that it was probably a fact that their anger towards me was a manifestation of their own deeply rooted fears and sense of personal inadequacy. As a result, I screwed up my own education and ended up where I am today! ;) (And still asking questions!)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
OD

Likewise, my signature is often I have a life long insatiable thirst for knowledge.

I am as a small child with a grain of knowledge before the infinite grains of  knowledge in the great desert of knowledge that expands out into eternal infinity before me. This desert goes on forever it has no horizon.

Alan

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
In my travels, I stumbled upon some ancient quotations that proved a nightmare to decipher and translate, but once that was achieved, the results were, in may cases, timeless and infinite in their application.
One such example being...

'He who seeks to unfold the mysteries of the dragon must first learn the path to enlightenment, else be consumed by the flames.'

Another...

'He who flies with the eagles must one day return to the womb that gave him birth.'

The person who provided the key to these translations was the chap we call the shaman and who blows up computers. Strange old world, isn't it?

When you think how far science has come from the days when those original runic or hieroglyphic symbols were carved into stones, and how much more there is yet to be discovered, who can fail to feel in awe of the vastness of it all and what still remains to be discovered?

What amazes me, is how closed so many scientific minds remain to the possibilities. As Herbert Spencer said...

'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.'

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
With an earthed bracelet in place, the team's shaman posted one message to a forum earlier today, and tried to send a message to someone via msn - and Messenger crashed! That was on this computer, as he was visiting me at the time. Can it really be a coincidence?

Why?

There must be an answer.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
OD

With an earthed bracelet in place, the team's shaman posted one message to a forum earlier today, and tried to send a message to someone via msn - and Messenger crashed! That was on this computer, as he was visiting me at the time. Can it really be a coincidence?

Why?

There must be an answer

There is an answer "coincidence", you said it youself

Offline OldDragon

• View Profile
I would love to believe it was a coincidence, except that there are altogether too many coincidences around this fellow where PCs are concerned... and what I'd not entioned, and only found out after the event, was that the crash on my machine was the third one that day, and all on difference PCs and in different locations.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums