The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Bruised knee  (Read 11480 times)

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
Bruised knee
« on: 25/11/2004 02:04:02 »
Yup, I've been beating myself up again. I took a dive on some really hard ground at a tournament back in mid-October and bruised my knee, well I assume it is just bruised, I haven't had it checked out and only real time it is sore is when I am kneeling but running and jumping can make it feel a little funny though. I also slipped a week or so ago and fell on it so it had bit of a relapse.

Anyway, after lots of icing and trying to not run and jump on it I think the swelling is pretty much down again but want the damn thing to go back to normal. Other than giving it a rest are there any suggestions? For one thing I was thinking of starting to apply heat packs every so often to get the blood flow going and such like.

Anything else? I'll be most appreciative.
cheers

Tim

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Bruised knee
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2004 04:01:15 »
Ice is generally good only for the first 48 hours.  Alternating heat and cold works better for just getting circulation to the area.  I'd take some ibuprofen if I were you too, to calm down any inflammatory response to the injury.

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2004 02:13:36 »
Agreed, hot and cold combination tends to be good. ibuprofen - think that is what we call asprin.

thanks bez

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2004 08:58:54 »
No Tim, aspirin is aspirin (acetyl salicylate). Ibuprofen is a different (though similar) drug. Both are NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).

Ironically, some cynics claim NSAID stands for "new sorts of aspirin in disguise" !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/11/2004 02:12:12 »
Ah thank you for clearing up my ignorance. My American friends have mentioned Ibuprofen before but I've never seen it and to the best of my knowledge we don't have it here, not that I tend to go perusing drug stores.

I gather asprin and Ibuprofn more or less have the same result in the anti-inflammatory respect though?

Tim

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 29/11/2004 10:15:42 »
I think ibuprofen is superior to aspirin in terms of its analgesic effects.

Like aspirin, however, ibuprofen can also stave off Alzheimer's disease.

Prospective studies on the elderly revealed that those taking regular NSAIDs for more than 2 years had a relative risk half that of people not using these agents regularly. Ibuprofen was more effective than aspirin and, as expected, paracetamol was not associated with any protective effect, mainly because paracetamol does not have an anti-inflammatory action.

At present, the mechanism through which aspirin-like drugs produce this effect is not clear but may relate to a reduction in the production of the pathological amyloidogenic peptides that give rise to the hallmark 'plaques' that characterise this condition.

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29/11/2004 15:17:55 »
So Chris, you thought "Old Man" could help his knee and stave off Alzheimer's at the same time?  Good idea.  I think ibuprofen works better for analgesia too, at least that's been my experience.

Old Man, you don't have anything like Advil or Motrin in Australia?  Ibuprofen is just the generic name.  I'll bet if you ask the pharmacist, he could tell you.  It's too good a drug, and sells too well for it not to be marketed in Australia.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 29/11/2004 18:19:45 »
It's definitely marketed in Oz - I bought some whilst I was there. You can definitely buy 'Nurofen' and brufen gels too.

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/11/2004 01:54:41 »
Ah I was going to say maybe Neurofen after reading bezoars post and wouldn't you know it Chris beat me to it! Have used some of the gels in the past but am all out at the moment. Might get some more this arvo, especially considering I'm off to another tournament in a few days time. Hopefully there won't be any significant knee, ankle or anything else bashing this time round.

cheers

Tim

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/12/2004 02:50:59 »
Wouldn't you know it, I found something here the other day that actually says Ibuprofen on it while looking for something for my back after pinching a nerve. Well hopefully that is all it was, but it is good now so I'm happy and pain free again.

Tim

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2004 16:44:47 »
I swear by Ibuprofen for musculo-skeletal pain.

I was sad to read the obituary of Sir John Vane in the BMJ this week. He was the guy who won a Nobel prize and a knighthood for working out the basic mechanism of action of aspirin. Ibuprofen, another member of the aspirin family, works in the same way.

Chris

- Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2004 16:44:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums