The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would I be Able To See Myself In The Middle Of Stellar Space ?  (Read 5295 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Lightologists,

See my portion of the Cosmos ?

Nice eh ?...being delivered Tuesday !

However, the Cosmos Agent (Stu ) who sold it to me said I ought to buy a torch when I  go for a journey between these stars cos it will be quite dark !

Is " Hi, I'm Stu, I'll be your Cosmos Agent for the evening " correct ?.....If I was in the middle of this bunch of stars and everything in the sky was that far away...would I or would I not be able to see my arm ?...do I need a torch to have fun with my stars ?

Surely the fact that I could see the little lights would mean some of it is reflected on me ?....or would it just be too feint to see ?

Please advise as I have a choice of a 3watt torch or a 5 watt torch !

Thanks

neil
Cosmos Portion Owner

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I think the stars are bright but I also think there are great distances between them so I would think you might need a really bright torch and that you may not see your arm going between them.. but I don't know... because it seems in the old footage, that the astronauts were able to see without torches. So maybe I am wrong,                               ... maybe there is enough light produced to see.. I think I am on the fence! Do you, or don't you need a bright torch Mr. Cosmos portion owner!

I am not sure.. good question.. makes me wonder too???

Truthfully You shine enough to light the whole sky up! LOL...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thanks Karen........I am not liaising myself with the astronauts of old because they had the sun to play with and the moon and the earth !!

I am putting myself as far away from our solar system and any other body as the stars in my cosmos piccy !

Awwwwwww...me shine ?.......Only when polished !! :-)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dear Lightologists,

However, the Cosmos Agent (Stu ) who sold it to me said I ought to buy a torch when I  go for a journey between these stars cos it will be quite dark !

Is " Hi, I'm Stu, I'll be your Cosmos Agent for the evening " correct ?.....If I was in the middle of this bunch of stars and everything in the sky was that far away...would I or would I not be able to see my arm ?...do I need a torch to have fun with my stars ?

Surely the fact that I could see the little lights would mean some of it is reflected on me ?....or would it just be too feint to see ?

Thanks

neil
Cosmos Portion Owner

Sincerely I don't know if the star's light is enough to make you see your arm, however it's certainly enough to NOT make you see the stars covered by your arm, so you could perceive your arm as an...arm-like dark region in the space...

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Your place must be awfully cluttered up with stuff by now - that's quite some buying spree you've been on lately.  :)

You'll need a torch - it'll be very dark.  Pluto, for example, and which is a lot closer to stars than you'll be, isn't regarded as a good place to sunbathe.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Dear Lightologists,

Thanks

neil
Cosmos Portion Owner

Sincerely I don't know if the star's light is enough to make you see your arm, however it's certainly enough to NOT make you see the stars covered by your arm, so you could perceive your arm as an...arm-like dark region in the space...

THANK EWE LightArrow:)

That's a very good point....my arm will be defined by it's outline !!...well..I won't be sticking anything else to see if I can see it !!;)....Stu told me it's also quite chilly !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Your place must be awfully cluttered up with stuff by now - that's quite some buying spree you've been on lately.  :)

You'll need a torch - it'll be very dark.  Pluto, for example, and which is a lot closer to stars than you'll be, isn't regarded as a good place to sunbathe.

THANK YOU LeeE....LOL !!...yes....yes  I suppose I have been indulging in too much ' retail therapy ' lately !! ;D ...yes...yes...torches at the  ready !!.... ;D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you could see the stars and were wearing a mirror-like (bacofoil) spacesuit, then you could see the reflection of the stars in the suit.
In practice (!) you're gonna need a torch and some thermal underwear: the temperature of interstellar space is below -200 C.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
If you could see the stars and were wearing a mirror-like (bacofoil) spacesuit, then you could see the reflection of the stars in the suit.
In practice (!) you're gonna need a torch and some thermal underwear: the temperature of interstellar space is below -200 C.

THANKS RD....no chance of my baco-foiling a turkey in outer-space.

I appreciate your comments ..I wonder if just seeing the reflection of the stars in the suit would soon drive me bonkers !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Karen........I am not liaising myself with the astronauts of old because they had the sun to play with and the moon and the earth !!

I am putting myself as far away from our solar system and any other body as the stars in my cosmos piccy !

Awwwwwww...me shine ?.......Only when polished !! :-)

LOL Your always polished! LOL!

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Would I be Able To See Myself In The Middle Of Stellar Space ?
« Reply #10 on: 17/06/2008 21:43:02 »
The sensitivity of the very best TV cameras is such that they can produce a picture of sorts by just starlight which the human eye can do when it is well adapted.
In the very darkest places on earth such as Ularu (which I have visited) with a very clear sky some visability is possible although some of this is due to light from the planets and the milky way which would be absent way out in the Cosmo's  

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/06/2008 21:55:03 »
Wouldn't it be roughly the same as going out on a night with no moon and zero light pollution?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/06/2008 06:39:50 »
Wouldn't it be roughly the same as going out on a night with no moon and zero light pollution?

I was also going to suggest moonless camping, (not a euphemism :) ),
but then I remembered zodiacal Light from the sun reflecting off cosmic dust...

The zodiacal light is a faint, roughly triangular, whitish glow seen in the night sky which appears to extend up from the vicinity of the sun along the ecliptic or zodiac. In mid-northern latitudes, the zodiacal light is best observed in the western sky in the spring after the evening twilight has completely disappeared, or in the eastern sky in the autumn just before the morning twilight appears. It is so faint that it is completely masked by either moonlight or light pollution. The zodiacal light decreases in intensity with distance from the Sun, but on very dark nights it has been observed in a band completely around the ecliptic. In fact, the zodiacal light covers the entire sky, being responsible for 60% of the total skylight on a moonless night. There is also a very faint, but still slightly increased, oval glow directly opposite the Sun which is known as the gegenschein.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiacal_light

http://www.pbase.com/henkbril/image/59052777
« Last Edit: 18/06/2008 06:49:31 by RD »

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18/06/2008 10:28:14 »
It would be brighter than a clear night and no moon, because on earth you're only getting the light from upwards, but in the middle of space you would recieve it from all directions.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #14 on: 18/06/2008 14:24:08 »
Good point, but you'd only be able to see about half of the total light falling on you - no matter which way you look, you can only ever see about half of your body surface.  Unless you start using mirrors, which would then block out some of the light.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 18/06/2008 14:24:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums