The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Road To Reality, who owns it?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
The Road To Reality, who owns it?
« on: 17/06/2008 17:39:33 »
This big blue book is just amazing, it comes in hardcover and is over 1000 pages of just insurmountable knowledge on physics and thinking on a higher dimension. I suggest it to anyone really serious about astro physics, quantum mechanics, and just plain 4th. dimensional theory. The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose, a Super Genius's must have!!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2008 18:27:01 »
I agree !..I've got it...it is big....and I have to say..I find it a bit of a struggle !! (understatement)...I bought an el cheapo soft cover edition from Amazon though !!...looks good in the book case !!

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2008 18:32:32 »
Good for you, you are on your way to learning something that could lead you somewhere. I am 22 years of age, still young and am going to use that book to help me with my inventions. Calculus helps as well.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2008 18:34:57 »
It's a book worth keeping for the rest of your life, don't let anyone else touch it, except for immediate family and not the family member that always has his hands covered in donut matter. Be possessive with that book. I suggest, if you want it, seriously, get the hardcover. You'll never go wrong.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2008 18:46:15 »
I bought it with every intention (and still do have) or reading it. It IS a marvelous reference. Hopefully one day I will get round to sitting down and attempt to digest it !..I know I won;t understand the majority of it but sometimes just reading the words can be helpful...It's full of formulas and equations though...my downfall !!

I am very happy you think so highly of it !...good on you !

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/06/2008 19:09:14 »
I find the equations quite simple and applying them will be fun. So what do you think of hemispheric representation in parabolic geometry? Quite interesting, I never thought of being able to calculate a parabolic line in a sphere!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/06/2008 19:22:21 »
I find the equations quite simple and applying them will be fun. So what do you think of hemispheric representation in parabolic geometry? Quite interesting, I never thought of being able to calculate a parabolic line in a sphere!!

LOL !!..now you're just toying with me !!... ;D

blakestyger

« Reply #7 on: 17/06/2008 20:20:04 »
This sounds as opaque as Penrose's The Emperors New Mind - though that is great to dip into, especially the bits about AI.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/06/2008 20:39:11 »
Funny thing is The Emperors New Mind is mentioned on the front cover of The Road To Reality. I'll have to take a look at it. Is it fiction or non-fiction. If it's fiction, ah, I don't know.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #9 on: 18/06/2008 08:59:52 »
I have The Road To Reality in hardback since it was first published.  I have read it right through once and re read several chunks.  It is the best and most readable introduction to real mathematics I have ever seen  much better and much further than my degree textbooks.  I must admit I haven't tried the exercises though  :-)
« Last Edit: 19/06/2008 10:47:36 by Soul Surfer »

blakestyger

« Reply #10 on: 18/06/2008 13:38:02 »
The Emperor's New Mind (1989) is non-fiction and its sub-title is: Concerning Computers, Minds and the Laws of Physics.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19/06/2008 18:55:05 »
It goes beyond conventional physics, high school physics and even college physics(unless you go to Yale or Oxford.)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 19/06/2008 18:55:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums