The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Radial And Ulner Nerve Injury As a Child  (Read 3374 times)

Offline grixxles

• First timers
    • View Profile
Radial And Ulner Nerve Injury As a Child
« on: 26/11/2004 10:40:45 »
Can anyone assist?
When I was a child, I lacerated my upper arm on a pane of glass. I believe that I cut the radial and ulner nerves, about 4" above the elbow underneath the arm.
This severely damaged and limited the motor function to my hand and wrist and caused loss of sensation to the whole length of one side of my arm (including half palm and two smallest fingers).
The nerves did not improve and I have been unable to fully extend any fingers (smallest are worst) and the wrist is quite weak.
When wrist is extended, all fingers remain clenched.
The situation remains the same today.
I was wondering if there is anything that might be able to be done, today, to improve it, given that the injury occured over 30 years ago, when nothing could really be done.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Radial And Ulner Nerve Injury As a Child
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2004 22:57:39 »
They could try to reattach the nerve, either by joining the lacerated ends or doing a nerve graft.  The problem is, the muscles in the hand are very tiny and have significant atrophy by now.  You might get some sensation back, but not much motor use, so you'd have to figure out whether or not that's worth it to you.  It's a lengthy time in rehab, and all for, perhaps, minimal improvement.  The nerve should have been rejoined at the time of injury.  The longer you let those things go, the worse the residual damage.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2004 22:39:21 »
Talked with the hand surgeon at work.  He tells me that, as I said, the sensation can be restored by reattaching the nerve ends.  The strength in the hand, although it will never be as strong as the other hand, can be greatly improved with tendon transfers.  It would take a talented hand surgeon to do the work, though, so shop around and check credentials and reputation.

Offline joy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/07/2006 20:34:21 »
HI, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD THE SURGERY.  I BROKE MY ARM.  AS I WAS HAVING SURGERY, THE DR. CUT MY ULNER NERVE.  NOW I HAVE TO FIND A GOOD DR. TO DO AN ULNER NERVE TRANSFER.  DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 05/07/2006 20:34:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums