The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is energy?  (Read 8779 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is energy?
« Reply #25 on: 23/06/2008 08:06:53 »
Doctor Beaver,

Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will happen. There maybe no physical laws to prevent it, but there are also none to say that it must. A bit like Virgin trains running on time

Absolutely, this spewing out of Ensteins , Eifel towers seems nonsensical to me non-science/ nonsense.

Surely,  the universe has some intrinsic kind of intelligence to stop repeating mistakes.

There is a quote that given enough time, "everything that can happen will happen" I dont buy into this view.

Alan

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What is energy?
« Reply #26 on: 23/06/2008 08:52:43 »
Doctor Beaver,

Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will happen. There maybe no physical laws to prevent it, but there are also none to say that it must. A bit like Virgin trains running on time

Absolutely, this spewing out of Ensteins , Eifel towers seems nonsensical to me non-science/ nonsense.

Surely,  the universe has some intrinsic kind of intelligence to stop repeating mistakes.

There is a quote that given enough time, "everything that can happen will happen" I dont buy into this view.

Alan

Monkeys & Shakespeare spring to mind.

I'm not sure that "intelligence" is the right word. And who said that what has happened, or what will happen, is a mistake? "Random", "chance", "accident", "evolution" - call it what you will; but "mistake"? I think not.

Offline johnbrandy

• View Profile
What is energy?
« Reply #27 on: 24/06/2008 03:35:22 »
I am certain, as judged by the thoroughly  informed previous comments, that this subject is way over my head. Notwithstanding, please allow me these unqualified opinions. The definition that energy is the ability to do work, has a twofold meaning; kinetic and static. Firstly, kinetic energy is the measure of energy potential of moving objects, relative to its mass and speed, and other possible influencing factors. Secondly, static energy is the measure of energy potential available if the static "object" in question was relished from its stasis, and, under the influence of gravity, and/or other forces, shift into a kinetic state. As well, the energy of a kinetic or static "object" can be represent by the maximum potential energy, as delineated by the Einstein equation that defines the conversion of mass into energy. So what is energy, with respect to the above statements? Apparently an actual force(kinetic energy), a potential force(static energy), or, as defined in the Einstein conversion, a nuclear or atomic force(optimal and potential). The problem in defining energy, as I see it, is due to the commonly understood "definition" of energy, and how and when that understanding conflicts with formal definitions and problem solving methods; which often transcend our intuitive grasp. Clearly, the Einstein concept for converting mass into energy is a paradigm shift in our understanding of energy. This concept defines energy in terms of mass. If we accept the idea of potential energy, we must accept the Einstein conversion principle.The issue herein has much to do with semantics and formal ways of thinking and describing energy , and how that bodes with the ordinary understanding of energy. 
« Last Edit: 28/06/2008 02:38:05 by johnbrandy »

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is energy?
« Reply #28 on: 24/06/2008 09:25:17 »
Guys,

What about this idea of what energy is and where it originated or came from.

All energy in the universe came from the "push" of the big bang creation event. This leaves the question who or what pushed in the first place. Please don't say I am getting philosophical or religious. I think this is a valid thought even within the constraints of classical physics.

Regards

Alan

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is energy?
« Reply #28 on: 24/06/2008 09:25:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums