The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the most efficent way to run air conditioning?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Fitbike89

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hey guys. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada.

For those who have never been here, Las Vegas gets ridiculously hot during the summer, and thus, causes the house to get very hot.

My question is, is it more cost efficient to maintain the house at a steady 78 degree temperature while we're home? Or to let it reach 78, then turn it off until it reached 90 again, then turn the air back on?

I always thought it would be cheaper to maintain it, due to the less stress on the air conditioning, but other parties disagree.

<Mod Edit - Subject formatted as a question.  Please try to do this to keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - Thanks!>
« Last Edit: 20/06/2008 16:13:19 by BenV »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's the most efficent way to run air conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: 20/06/2008 16:59:20 »
Fitbike89

There was a recent discussion/thread about Air Conditioning in the US too, it might be of help too.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=15029.0

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 20/06/2008 19:13:54 »
Basic principle: If it's running and you aren't there, it's wasting energy. The energy you use up depends on the temperature difference outside / inside. Zero energy needed to keep them the same. Decide what is the maximum temperature at which you can bring yourself to walk into the house. Find out how long it takes to reach that temperature from 90degrees when you get home. Program the system to turn on just in time to reach that temperature. There is no doubt at all that is the cheapest / greenest solution. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Use the internet / a mobile phone to control it when you are on the way home.
Also, you could turn it off some while before you leave the house - it is a waste to leave the house at a low temperature.
What sort of insulation methods do you use? They are just as important as if you lived in Alaska.
« Last Edit: 20/06/2008 19:18:20 by sophiecentaur »

Offline Fitbike89

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2008 15:58:03 »
Well I mean while we are home. If it is more cost effective to maintain it at a steady temperature, or instead to let it heat then cool, heat then cool.

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2008 10:05:52 »
The point is how long the motor is running for.
If you are prepared to have the occasional ' hot periods' then you will save money.
The heat flow depends on the temperature difference between inside and outside. If you want to maintain a very cool temperature indoors it will Cost You!
Seriously - you should look into insulation if you haven't already. The pay - back time for simple measures can be very short.
Reflecting surfaces and fibre in the ceilings coupled with hi tech glass (a bit more expensive) in the windows can make a huge difference.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2008 12:30:01 »
What I can't understand is why in the US or UK, you will not do the simplest and cheapest task of opening your windows which I guess
you may have.

Is this because they are sealed shut or for legal reasons after all
open windows let in the fresh air and no A/C needed then.

(oops if I am wrong)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/06/2008 12:57:26 »
Yeah hot, fresh air. I live in the North of Australia and I can sympathise. Just about every house up here has air conditioning, its essential to be anywhere near comfortable in summer.

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 24/06/2008 14:31:38 »
rosalind dna
Las Vegas is not a 'normal' place to live; it's really extreme and you need 'life support' to survive there.
If you open the windows you let extremely hot air into the house!

There are cheaper ways of cooling very hot dry air - the evaporative coolers which they are  now selling in the UK are totally unsuitable here, where the humidity is high but, in Vegas, they sound like a perfect solution. I think they were developed in Central Australia.
They consist of a large 'wick' (like a straw bale) and a fan to blow air over it. The wick sits in a tray of water which needs refilling every now and then.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 24/06/2008 14:31:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums