The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does moonlight damage fabrics more than sunlight?  (Read 6742 times)

geoff hellman

geoff hellman  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris,
I have heard that moonlight damages material, (ie; makes it fade),  such as curtains and other furnishing fabrics more than sunlight. Is this true, and if so how, as moonlight is only reflected sunlight?

Cheers,
Geoff
What do you think?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Does moonlight damage fabrics more than sunlight?
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2008 20:34:41 »
I don't think it's true. Not only is moonlight much weaker but the moon won't reflect the hard UV very well so the most damaging bit of the sunlight is removed whne it's reflected from the moon.

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2008 14:44:51 »
This is a really bizarre notion! How much energy could possibly be getting here from the moon? Even if it were a perfect reflector to UV, the illumination would be reduced by a similar amount to the reduction in visible light level.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2008 00:16:10 »
Moonlight is a combination of reflected sunlight and reflected starlight, with sunlight being by far the greatest component, so there is nothing in moonlight that is not present in sunlight, or to a much lesser degree, starlight.

Well, unless there happens to be a large area on the moon, as yet undiscovered, that is able to change the frequencies present in the incident light that is eventually reflected back to us.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2008 01:55:31 »
Moonlight DOES indeed have an effect on material.....like the Hulk, I turn into a wolf-sheep and split my garters !!

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2008 04:14:33 »
Maybe its a rumour started by people hoping to get a look-see at people undressing at night, since they might have rolled their curtains up to save them from the terrible moonlight

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2008 05:30:23 »
LOL.. LOL.. Dancing naked in the moonlight is the only way to go.. so my experience with fabric in the moonlight is nil!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2008 05:30:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums