The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it safe to be around a cancer patient while I have a cold?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
My favorite aunt has thyroid cancer and has recently had surgery to have her thyroid removed.  She starts radiation treatments in a week.  She's doing well, is up and about and even back to work, although she works from home.  I am supposed to go over there today for a big family get together.  The problem is, I have a cold, sore throat and stuffed nose,etc. 

I called to let them know I didn't think it was a good idea to be around her, but they've said it was fine until she started radiation.

What do think, is it safe for me to be around her while I have this cold.

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
Is it safe to be around a cancer patient while I have a cold?
« Reply #1 on: 22/06/2008 17:33:16 »
Carolyn, I can't give you the answer you seek, but how would you feel if you passed on your cold to your aunt?

I have very good reasons to ask any of my family or friends to stay away from me i they have colds and because if I catch one, and it goes to my chest, the resulting coughing will put my back problem from chronic to acute.

How does your aunt feel about risking catching your cold? Have you been able to ask her in person?

One of my pet hates is when others answer questions for me, and without even asking me. ;)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2008 18:17:52 »
Hi Old Dragon,

Yes, I felt the same way when her family said it was ok.  I called them back and told them I wasn't going to come because I just didn't want to risk it.  My aunt called back a little later and begged me to come.  I'm still not comfortable going, but she has insisted as my cousin is in town and we haven't seen each other for 20 years. 

I don't know how much it will help, but I'm going to avoid contact with her as much as possible and I guess try to hold my breath when I'm around her.

She insists that she's fine and there aren't any problems with it until she starts radiation. 

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/06/2008 18:32:31 »
As your aunt herself wishes to see you, then that is her choice and she will be accepting the risk of catching your cold, as will all the others present. If they catch it, don't go beating yourself up afterwards, will you? ;) ;)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/06/2008 18:39:53 »
Carolyn I have a box of masks that my Doctor has recommened for me to use and have sick visitors use. I catch everything that comes along and like old dragon it goes to my chest .. and my lungs are already struggling to get cleared.

May I recommend you pick up a proper mask... My Doctor recommended a brand called Aseptex  [size=07pt]TM[/size], put out by 3M Molded surgical mask
. Reduces exposure to blood and body fluids.

.Minimizes patient contamination to exhaled microorganisms.

You can pick them up at a medical supply or sometimes a pharmacy.. she said a tie on fabric one would help although not be as effective as the one I picked up. She said it was important for the person with the cold to wear it as this would prevent their germs from spreading to other things.. just do not touch your mouth, without washing your hands if you do cough. Cough into your mask or shoulder. She said the germs live for something like two hours outside the body on other articles such as key boards and object like that. Just anywhere out side the body..  They sell them individually at The medical place I am not sure at a pharmacy!
« Last Edit: 22/06/2008 18:42:21 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/06/2008 18:46:34 »
When are you going? I could mail you a few.. I have several boxes of them.. So that I can have visitors who may be sick... or be in large crowds with less risk to my health.

Whoops That was for today.. Sorry < I knew I thought I had read that!! LOL.. Still if you would like a handful I will send you some..

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2008 18:49:20 »
Thanks Karen.  I'm leaving in just a little bit to go. 

The mask is a great idea.  I've already called the pharmacy to see if they had any and they do, so I'll be following your suggestion.  Thanks.  I feel much better about going now.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/06/2008 18:54:33 »
Your welcome have a really good visit!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 22/06/2008 18:54:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length