Naked Science Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16/04/2014 04:17:16

Author Topic: Why do humans have two sets of teeth?  (Read 7109 times)

sarah

• View Profile
  • on: 22/06/2008 18:55:33
sarah urquhart  asked the Naked Scientists:

We were just wondering - Why do humans get 2 sets of teeth?

Sarah
What do you think?

Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
  • Reply #1 on: 23/06/2008 18:38:05
I think the simple answer is that they have a little set for when they are little and a bigger set for when they are bigger.
Another question is why only 2 sets?
replacing them regularly might be useful for when they get damaged.

lyner

• Reply #2 on: 23/06/2008 18:47:53
Sharks do it!
Rodents have 'open roots' in their incisor teeth so they keep growing and growing to keep up with the wear. I often think that could be useful too. But, as we're only designed to live to about thirty, the second lot only have to last twice as long as some of the first lot.

iko

• View Profile
  • Reply #3 on: 23/06/2008 20:31:00
Sharks do it!
Rodents have 'open roots' in their incisor teeth so they keep growing and growing to keep up with the wear. I often think that could be useful too. But, as we're only designed to live to about thirty, the second lot only have to last twice as long as some of the first lot.

Right sophiecentaur,

at the beginning of the last century, average survival was 35 years.
At least in my country.

Alan McDougall

• View Profile
  • Reply #4 on: 25/06/2008 20:28:13
Because this is the way it is, but man!!/girl!! we should have been given three sets by the big guy, really

Naked Scientists Science Radio Show Home Who are The Naked Scientists Information about Naked Scientists
Naked Scientists Podcast Ask the Naked Scientists Podcast Question of the Week Podcast
Naked Science Articles Experiments to do at Home Science Discussion Forum
Science News Stories Answers to Science Questions Interviews with Famous Scientists

Information presented on this website is the opinion of the individual contributors and does not reflect the general views of the administrators, editors, moderators, sponsors, Cambridge University or the public at large.

Click here for the Naked Scientists PODCAST

The contents of this site are © The Naked Scientists® 2000-2014. The Naked Scientists® and Naked Science™ are registered trademarks.