The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Heart beat skips  (Read 5760 times)

Offline eddirichard

• View Profile
Heart beat skips
« on: 03/12/2004 14:34:22 »
My wife's heart beat skips when she feels nervous. Is this normal? She's 35 and in good health.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Heart beat skips
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2004 04:14:38 »
More than likely.  Don't know her whole history so can't say for sure, but with her age and assumably good health, I would think so.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2004 12:21:12 »
Is there any family history of cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beat), and how long has this been going on ?

There are a number of reasons that this could be occurring, but 'missed beats' , which are actually caused by ventricular ectopics or 'extra' heart beats coming from the muscle itself rather than the heart's pacemaker region, are common, and often harmless. However, there may be an underlying cause, so it is wise to seek advice to have it checked out.

This can be done simply and non-invasively by asking the patient to wear a 24 hour tape, or event recorder, which monitor the heart's electrical activity (using sticky pads applied to the chest) before, during and after and rhythm disturbances, allowing doctors to pinpoint the alleged abrnormality on the electrocardiogram, and determine the cause.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline eddirichard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2004 16:40:28 »
SHE HAS FEELINGS OF NERVOUSNESS THE MOMENT THE HEART SKIPS A BEAT. SHE SAYS SHE TIRES EASILY. I'M SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT WITH HER DOCTOR TO SEE IF THERE IS A PROBLEM.[|)]

Offline eddirichard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2004 16:43:28 »
NO HISTORY OF ANY HEART DISORDERS BY THE WAY. SHE DOESN'T EXERCISE THOUGH AND SHE'S ABOUT 5' AND 110 LBS. THE SKIPS HAPPEN 2X IN 1 MINUTE CYCLES WHEN I TOOK HER PULSE. BP IS 118/73 ON AVERAGE.;)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2004 18:10:58 »
I think that's probably sensible. The vast majority of the time these things are totally benign, and only serve to cause unnecessary worry (which, ironically, can make the condition worse). But the ease with which the situation can be investigated, and your wife reassured, means that a simple 24 hour recording is definitely worth doing. There are a few, much rarer, conditions which can cause irregular heart beats, but the ECG from the 24 hour tape will hopefully help to exclude those.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/01/2005 12:45:48 »
well its normal but her nervous activity is very intense that it is inhibiting the heart and can leads her to caridiac arrythmias with MOBITZ type I or II

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 25/01/2005 12:45:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums