The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does July 4th have an effect on the Carbon levels in the atmosphere?  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Just about every city in the United States has some type of Fireworks display that night. Even my neighboring town has a small one, but there are a lot of fireworks shot off. You'd think after BILLION of fireworks there would have to be atleast 1000 cars worth of polution right? Maybe I'm wrong, but theres a lot of fireworks..

blakestyger

Yes, carbon dioxide levels would increase and so would the levels of sulphur and nitrogen oxides from the explosives. But hey, carbon dioxide is what plants need to photosynthesise so the question is - what's normal? Or even, what is too much?
I've often wondered where the carbon dioxide came from that enabled the massive trees and ferns that formed the coal during the Carboniferous came from. Natural sources would have been creatures respiring (quite low perhaps), natural fires from lightning and plants rotting generally.
But then, most carbon dioxide is mopped up by algae at the surface of the oceans so that might leave relatively little for land plants - but there clearly was enough! 

???

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
This whole thing is still a touchy subject, I know..

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm not sure the actual fireworks themselves would be as significant an addition to the days co2 output as everyone's barbeques firing up would

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I'm not sure the actual fireworks themselves would be as significant an addition to the days co2 output as everyone's barbeques firing up would

That is true also, the title does say "July 4th", but I did mention just fireworks in the post didn't I..

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
http://www.slate.com/id/2194934/?GT1=38001

I'm not the only one that thought about that :) ha

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length