The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Superstring theory  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Superstring theory
« on: 30/06/2008 19:07:57 »
The much debated super string theory hangs on the belief in multi dimesions. Classical physics do not like this idea, I think.

If there really is countless dimensions upward and downward this opens the Pandora's box to concepts like alternate universes, parallel universes Even our universe being a tiny part of a greater universe and an atom of our universe containing a much smaller universe. Monads all the way up and down.

I don't believe this but just because I do not does not make it impossible

In search of the T.O.E.

Regards

Alan

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Superstring theory
« Reply #1 on: 30/06/2008 19:47:37 »
Everyone is already used to four dimensions - three spatial and one temporal (from our point of view) - but there seems to be no intrinsic reason why there cannot be more.  After all, there's nothing special about four.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Superstring theory
« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2008 20:36:18 »
I thought String Theory had over 20 dimensions.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Superstring theory
« Reply #3 on: 30/06/2008 21:38:59 »
Heh - I thought it was eleven, but there are quite a few different 'string' theories about and one of them has probably got 20.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Superstring theory
« Reply #4 on: 01/07/2008 08:16:10 »
They stopped at 20 , more are comming

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Superstring theory
« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2008 06:50:51 »
Superstring theory is only 1 part of string theory. String theory tries to show that all particles comprise vibrations of strings. Superstring theory is the part of string theory that addresses supersymmetry..

One of the early attempts at string theory required there to be 26 dimensions. However, that theory threw out spurious particles travelling faster than light. These were named tachyons. It turned out that there was a flaw in that theory and it was discarded. Despite the efforts of Star Trek writers, tachyons do not exist and any theory that contains them is filed under C for crap.

Various versions of string theory have been produced since. At the strings '95 conference, Ed Witten showed that the 5 versions of string theory (three superstrings and two heterotic strings) were, in fact, 1 and the same and that it was equivalent (dual) to a theory of 11-dimensional supergravity.  Witten called it M-theory. As far as I am aware, 10D is the figure that string theorists currently work with.

However, later models concerned with warped higher dimensions have shown that there could be fewer or more.

For those interested in string theory, here's an interesting site.

And here's a site with lots of links.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2008 07:02:52 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Superstring theory
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2008 08:41:13 »
Ed Witten,seems to have an awesome intellect and mind that few can access or understand especially little me.

A superstriing is a one dimensional hypothetic entity, having diameter and no length or the reverse. I have difficulty rapping my mind around this, but so would a two dimensional flatlander have with out three dimensional reality.   

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Superstring theory
« Reply #7 on: 05/07/2008 22:24:17 »
Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't speak any language known by man.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Superstring theory
« Reply #7 on: 05/07/2008 22:24:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums