The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Is The Nature Of My Second Wind ?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Is The Nature Of My Second Wind ?
« on: 01/07/2008 19:27:45 »
Nope this is not a query about bottom burps !!

For the last  few weeks I have been working hard and fast on the treadmill !.....yes..me...a sheepy on a treadmill..

Look here I am :

Nice eh ?

Anyway......after 25 minutes plus......it all seems to get so much easier....I get my second wind and I feel as if I could go on forever......I end up doing about an hour and really do force myself to stop....I'm walking at a fast pace averaging 4.6 miles an hour (at the moment)....

...so...what is this second wind.....?

Faaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttt !!!....ooops !!!..beg your pardon....that WAS my real second wind !!

hugs...shmishes

Neil
Second Wind Ask-Abouter

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2008 22:38:16 »
I don't know what it is and thought someone had posted to this earlier but alas its gone! LOL.. anyway I wish I knew what that felt like .. in all my life with exercise I have never felt that second wind and always struggled with the first to the point of collapse! hated exercise unless it was done in fun.. running after kids for hours or some such thing!

I am curious about it and how you feel when you get that feeling.. do you feel refreshed? I hear you say that you don't want to stop.. Well Thats really cool!  I can't imagine!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2008 00:38:48 »
When I was younger and used to do a lot of long-distance kayak racing I would always be very tense at the start of the race.  These were mass-start events, and there was a definite phase-change once the start was over.  The start basically meant getting clear of everyone else, and once that was achieved the focus switched to strategy.  In terms of solo exercise there is a similar stress associated with starting, and that stress uses energy.  Once that stress is gone i.e. once you've started, you lose some of that initial stress, settle down into a more sustainable rate of expenditure and start to plan your future expenditure, which comes down to efficiency.  Starting isn't about efficiency though, so a disproportionate amount of energy is used during that phase.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2008 01:59:47 »
I don't know what it is and thought someone had posted to this earlier but alas its gone! LOL.. anyway I wish I knew what that felt like .. in all my life with exercise I have never felt that second wind and always struggled with the first to the point of collapse! hated exercise unless it was done in fun.. running after kids for hours or some such thing!

I am curious about it and how you feel when you get that feeling.. do you feel refreshed? I hear you say that you don't want to stop.. Well Thats really cool!  I can't imagine!

Thank Ewe Kareny Mam,

yes..yes indeed ..I do feel a sense of euphoria....well..that may well be an exaggeration because I don't feel as if I am about to pass out...just (and I think LeeE has nailed it)...I just feel as if I have relaxed, found my stride....and seem at ease......yesterday for instance..I really had to force myself to stop after 5 miles....

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2008 02:02:46 »
When I was younger and used to do a lot of long-distance kayak racing I would always be very tense at the start of the race.  These were mass-start events, and there was a definite phase-change once the start was over.  The start basically meant getting clear of everyone else, and once that was achieved the focus switched to strategy.  In terms of solo exercise there is a similar stress associated with starting, and that stress uses energy.  Once that stress is gone i.e. once you've started, you lose some of that initial stress, settle down into a more sustainable rate of expenditure and start to plan your future expenditure, which comes down to efficiency.  Starting isn't about efficiency though, so a disproportionate amount of energy is used during that phase.

Thank Ewe LeeE

I reckon ewe got it !......I eventually came to the conclusion that perhaps it took 20-30 minutes to warm up etc and this may play a part...but as ewe say, tension goes....stress is relieved and it all just begins to flow a lot easier......I don't know if adrenalin and endorphins are also playing a part but I can ' feel ' the positivity !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2008 02:02:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length