The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's The Science Behind The Wimbledon Tennis Graphics ?  (Read 4016 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Tennisologists,

As a sheepy..I of course enjoy all sports....here I am about to beat Roger Federer in straight sets : 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

Three times he challenged three of my aces !!.... and lo and behold upon the screen came some rather cool computer graphics displaying the path of the ball and where it landed.....of course..all my balls were in. I always make sure I place my balls in the correct location. To not do so would be plain rude !

So, how does Wimbledon keep an eye on my balls and how is it able to so quickly display their orientation and route they took ?

Thank Ewe

Neil
Tennis Ball Asker

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What's The Science Behind The Wimbledon Tennis Graphics ?
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/2008 21:24:50 »
I refer the honourable gentleman sheepy to the answer I gave some moments ago in a very recent thread.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/07/2008 21:50:32 »
I refer the honourable gentleman sheepy to the answer I gave some moments ago in a very recent thread.

Thank Ewe Eth and my apologies !!!...LOL..I saw the thread earlier but hadn't looked at it....this also demonstrates that I didn't know the name of the Wimbledon thingy is called Hawkeye....(wasn't he in M.A.S.H. ?).........well..I do now !!

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2008 11:05:59 »
What has happened to Cyclops, the thing that used to tell you if the serve was in or out that Ilie Nastasie made famous. It seems to have been replaced by an old fashioned line judge again. They have done away with the net cord judge as well.

Is it still the case that if you hit three let serves in a row you win a barrel of beer?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2008 11:05:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums