The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do microwave ovens lose their power over time?  (Read 51525 times)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do microwave ovens lose their power over time?
« Reply #25 on: 21/05/2014 03:40:03 »
For some reason the inside surface of microwave is flaking off.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21/05/2014 06:54:00 »
No problem! The television (more food programs than the microwave) carries hundreds of advertisments for stuff that ladies put on their faces to stop their skin flaking off, or possibly to remove the stuff....anyway, one of them is bound to contain a really expensive  molecule that defeats the seven signs of microwave ageing and brings admiring princes to your feet, or something.

Seriously, though, I've noticed localised paint blistering inside a domestic microwave, probably due to frequent exposure to steam, producing rust under minor scratches. A quick rub down with emery paper and a spray of radiator paint should cure it. Speaking of my mother-in-law....
« Last Edit: 21/05/2014 07:01:48 by alancalverd »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04/06/2014 00:38:07 »
I have always understood that the loss of performance of vacuum tubes over time was due to the build up of resistance between the cathode and the emitting surface the special tubes used in the TAT cable used Platinum cathodes to overcome this effect and ran for 25 years without failure.
The Magnetrons in microwave ovens always run at full power variable cooking effect is achieved by switching them on for variable times.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 04/06/2014 00:38:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length