The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tea and Symphathy  (Read 23730 times)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« on: 03/07/2008 04:12:27 »
Sympathy - That's more what I want. (I have the Earl Grey.)

You may have noticed that for the last month I haven't been making too many posts to the forum. It is because I have an ineptly fixed shattered right shoulder.

I have a new doctor and last week we decided to replace the joint with an artificial joint as the pieces of the ball of the humerus are not healing back together. This procedure will begin at 11 AM this coming Monday.

I'll be in the hospital a couple of days after this date, then home for a couple of weeks before I begin to resume activities I haven't done since May 29. I'll even be able to drive in two to three week!

So, sympathy is the order of the day. I'm in so much pain I can't wait for surgery!

[B)]  stomped and left for dead. Oh, poor me!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2008 04:32:58 »
Awwwww.  Poor, poor you.

So sorry about your shoulder but am happy to hear you'll be getting it fixed.

Did I read somewhere that you injured your shoulder in an accident?  If so, it sounds as if you're as graceful as I am and if that's the case then, well....you definitely have my sympathy as well as my best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2008 06:24:22 »
Hi Jim..
 am real sorry about the whole mess with the gate. I sure hope this surgery helps.. I know the pain must be horrid...I am sorry.

I am however glad that they are going to be able to fix it. how long do they think before full recovery and use of the arm.. two weeks for driving is great!  what about lifting... and range of motion?
Get well soon hugs and kisses.. feel better will keep you in my prayers. and thoughts.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2008 08:33:39 »
Sympathy? From me? Yeah, right!

Hope it all goes well, y'old bugger!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2008 12:21:10 »
Jim, you have my sympathies and good luck with the operation next week, now go and put the kettle on,  :(

I am sad to hear that you are in pain, it must be awful {{ }}

I have missed your posts. Take care 

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #5 on: 03/07/2008 17:21:25 »
From one old fossil to another- best of luck with the procedure.  Look forward to having you back soon.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #6 on: 03/07/2008 19:21:59 »
Ask for Diprovan as an anesthetic as you wake up with a massive erection (no not an apartment block.) I worked on it at ICI when it was being developed and put some Make it Lady magic into it.

Do you get to keep bits of your old shoulder? that would be cool!

What is the time difference between us and you? I would like to be thinking about you at the right time. If it is during the night you will be in my dreams.

Good luck Jim we will all be with you.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #7 on: 04/07/2008 00:38:03 »
Could you drive a car before?

I would avoid Diprovan, I wouldn't want to wake up with an apartment block. (though the mythical Mrs Turnipsock might have other ideas)

Best Wishes.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2008 00:46:02 by turnipsock »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #8 on: 04/07/2008 02:05:18 »
Jim 'Bionic' Bob !!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #9 on: 04/07/2008 17:12:10 »
Do you get to keep bits of your old shoulder? that would be cool!

Flog your surplus bits of bone on ebay ...

Mashed up bone meal, specific bone fragments, and articulated bones are an orthopedist’s tools of the trade. Doctors, hospitals, surgeons don’t ask where these parts came from they’re just happy and relieved they’ve got them at their disposal. Without them bone replacement surgery would be non-existent.
http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Opinion/6-04-30-ReapingProfits.htm

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #10 on: 04/07/2008 19:42:05 »
I'll be selling my bone on the black market, - if it were possible. Armour Meat Packing had found a new use for the pig. They are the company that came up with the "We use everything but the squeal" slogan. Well, now they take pig bone, dissolve all organic material from it, autoclave it and shape it to order for medical supply companies for bone grafting. However, with my bone, the surgeon will probably shape it to fit into the open screw holes that will need filling once the plate is removed.

I want to thank everyone who has responded with their kind wishes for me and the procedure Monday. I am - and I am not - looking forward to this because a.) the pain will be going away rather soon after surgery and this last month has been a living hell of continual pain from a botched job of mending the shoulder and b.) I HATE ANESTHESIA!!! with a passion. I just don't like what it does to me.

But I'll be fine in the long run and ready to help anyone, including the old beaver-git, with anything I can.

Again, thank you for you good wishes.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #11 on: 04/07/2008 19:43:41 »
Awwwww.  Poor, poor you.

So sorry about your shoulder but am happy to hear you'll be getting it fixed.

Did I read somewhere that you injured your shoulder in an accident?  If so, it sounds as if you're as graceful as I am and if that's the case then, well....you definitely have my sympathy as well as my best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

It was a knock-down, drag-'em-out fight with a 4,000 pound steel ranch gate. (I lost)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #12 on: 04/07/2008 19:45:53 »

Yes, I can drive quite well, thank you.

(what a smart-arse!)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #13 on: 04/07/2008 19:48:00 »

Yes, I can drive quite well, thank you.

(what a smart-arse!)

Yep, this will make three artificial joints - both hips and now a shoulder. I set off every alarm at an airport.

paul.fr

Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #14 on: 04/07/2008 23:03:08 »
me, me, me. It's all about me, or rather YOU. First it's Neil with his comings and goings, then Michael tries to get in on the act and now YOU! Atleast the Beaver just buggered off and returned without fanfare or procession through the streets.

Now if I were to leave and return, you would see how LOVED I AM, the sytem would crash due to the volume of posts....Me, me, me....

OH, best of luck old pal.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #15 on: 05/07/2008 02:53:52 »
me, me, me. It's all about me, or rather YOU. First it's Neil with his comings and goings, then Michael tries to get in on the act and now YOU! Atleast the Beaver just buggered off and returned without fanfare or procession through the streets.

Now if I were to leave and return, you would see how LOVED I AM, the sytem would crash due to the volume of posts....Me, me, me....

Did you notice how much attention you attracted to yourself with that ME ME ME stuff?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #16 on: 05/07/2008 02:54:34 »
Oh,

Thank you, Paul.

(Did you have a bad day? If so, I'm sorry.)
« Last Edit: 05/07/2008 03:03:52 by JimBob »

Anastasia.fr.1

Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #17 on: 05/07/2008 19:20:56 »

Did you notice how much attention you attracted to yourself with that ME ME ME stuff?

I know it's all about him at home aswell!!!!
It's sooooooooooo annoying

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #18 on: 05/07/2008 22:25:40 »

Someone's heading for bed with no supper!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #19 on: 06/07/2008 02:58:17 »

Someone's heading for bed with no supper!

But it should be stay up late with a large box of chocolates!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #20 on: 07/07/2008 23:53:43 »
I am all through and home!! But then I didn't have surgery toady, either. I was second on the schedule, and when they finally spoke with me - after getting there at 7AM for an 11 AM surgical time, the people didn't have the things necessary to do what was needed to get me ready for surgery even on the floor and the people were not scheduled - I don't have any veins and needed a PICC line put in. So, I got bumped to third place - 2 PM. So after they were finally able to get someone up there to put the line in my vein and I was ready to go, my surgeon was told that his daughter had been in an accident of some sort at school and was headed to the ER. My surgeon,, naturally, went to the ER at the hospital down the street (about 15 blocks) after finishing #2, and I was told that I would be on for about 3 - 4 PM but surely today.

Fine, just get the bloody thing fixed, it hurts! Then at 5 minutes until 3 in walks his Surgical Nurse - Nurse Practitioner and say that today was off. His daughter was herself in surgery. She had not known anything about it as my doc had left so abruptly after finishing and closing #2.

Now, I get to reschedule and go through this whole mess again.

I am so delighted!.

[V] [:-'(]

[8]

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #21 on: 08/07/2008 01:29:07 »
Sorry you had such a crap day.  Crossing my fingers and toes that you'll get rescheduled quickly.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #22 on: 08/07/2008 17:51:11 »
Hi, JimBob, just wrapped up the red cross parcel, ready to send to the wounded soldier. It seems that I should hold out on posting it. Perhaps I should stick it in the post and you can open it up to take into hospital with you when they finally get their collective fingers out and look after that shoulder of yours. I think I would tell them that you are hospital phobic and that they can't do the same thing to you again. It would cause you mental anguish. This usually works. 

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #23 on: 08/07/2008 18:50:45 »
DOn't be wicked to poor JimBob; he's 'armless!  :D

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Tea and Symphathy
« Reply #24 on: 09/07/2008 00:15:46 »
DOn't be wicked to poor JimBob; he's 'armless!  :D
;D ;D ;D