The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Guided tour around your genome anyone?  (Read 1807 times)

blakestyger

Guided tour around your genome anyone?
« on: 03/07/2008 13:59:23 »
Today's New Scientist has a bit (page 36) about companies that offer to read your genome and, if necessary, counsel you about the findings. They don't do a complete read-out, instead they read off single letter variants (single nucleotide polymorphisms), some of which are statistically linked to some diseases or traits.

Generally, this is not considered 'good science' as interpretation is unreliable due to the influence of other genetic variants and, of course, that old variable environment.

However, IF this could be interpreted accurately would you like to know the results for your own genome? Do you think it would change your life in a positive way?

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2008 15:02:03 »
I suspect, as this gets cheaper, more and more of us will be expected to have such tests as a pre-requisite to getting health insurance.  Would I like it?  Let me think about it...

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2008 15:48:58 »
Blake,

However, IF this could be interpreted accurately would you like to know the results for your own genome? Do you think it would change your life in a positive way?

Not really it is easier to look at your family history , such as health issues or gentic disorders without going to the expense of a genome evaluation. (I am well controlled , thank god for modern medicine)

For instance as a severe bipolar mood disorder sufferer , I researced my family history and found a definite link to manic depression in my family tree.

My father had it his father had, and my great grandmother on moms side had it and so do my two sisters have it. Otherwise ha ha we're very healthy.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2008 15:48:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums