The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why doesn't water burn?  (Read 1929 times)

The McKone Family

Why doesn't water burn?
« on: 04/07/2008 09:33:18 »
The McKone Family  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Your Nakedness,

Nearly two years since I discovered the best  show on Radio, the Internet... Heck, the best show anywhere, bar none. Long  boring drives are a thing of the past since I discovered you lovely people...  Jeez, I sound like I'm starting a love letter. Best get to the point  before I loose my head:

We have all seen pictures of the demise of the Hindenburg, horrible flaming wreckage crashing down around a stunned and panicked crowd while a reporter cries out: "Oh the Humanity..." The lesson would seem to be, don't use Hydrogen in airships as it has a tendency toward  extreme "explosiveness". A good if Sad lesson.

We have also been taught in school that  three things are needed to make a fire. Fuel, Heat, and Oxygen. Right?

So? What, you may ask, is my point?

Well Water is H2O, if I remember my basic Chemistry correctly, and so I am wondering why people who like to bath in candle lit bathrooms don't explode in flames like....welll, like the Hindenburg?  Hydrogen is present, Oxygen to make it burn bright, and sparking a candle would  seem to provide the final element. Why no Boom?

All the best and keep up the brilliant  work.

A Loyal fan from Canada

Dr. Larry S McKone
(Before you ask, my PhD is in Philosophy,  not Chemistry.)

What do you think?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Why doesn't water burn?
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2008 21:40:03 »
Because the chemical reaction has already taken place and the energy of the explosion released when the compound water was formed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why doesn't water burn?
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2008 21:40:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums