The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Efficient ionisation medium for plasma.  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Limpet chicken

• View Profile
Efficient ionisation medium for plasma.
« on: 11/12/2004 01:18:00 »
I am working on a little project at the moment, using marx generators running at about 200kv to charge a capacitor bank that discharges through a preformed electric arc,in which a plasma is generated, before the plasma is launched electromagnetically.

I am unsure as to the best thing to use as an iinisation medium as fuel for the plasma, and wish to avoid solutions of solids as they eventually cake up the electrodes.

I thought of possibly tritium/deuterium mix, in the hope that perhaps even fusion would take place, or a halogen plasma, as I need a quite dense plasma to survive the acceleration process.

Non omnis moriar, tenebris e lumen.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: Efficient ionisation medium for plasma.
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2004 04:55:49 »
I would avoid tritium/deuterium.  Tritium is radioactive with a very long half-life, and is pretty highly regulated.  Disposal is expensive unless you dump in down the drain, in which case you're a bad person.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Limpet chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2004 16:40:16 »
I don't think tritium has a particularly long halflife, its something in the order of 12 years or so, and due to hydrogens extreme lightness I imagine it would not stay in earth's atmosphere too long.

I don't plan un using tritium any way, I was mainly curious about wether it would initiate fusion.

I intend to to preliminary testing with either chlorine or vapourised bromine.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2004 06:50:29 »
right, seems I was misremembering the half-life.  It's still not a great thing to be playing with at home, considering the disposal issues.  Glad you decided against it.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Limpet chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/12/2004 09:16:09 »
My project might interest you perhaps Ylide.

I am working on designing a fun little project, using a series of 20kv capacitors and marx generators to pass a very high voltage, perhaps up to one megawatt, through an already formed electric arc, in an atmosphere of chlorine or bromine, to create a plasma bolt.

After plasma formation, there will be a second cap built in to activate a strong magnetic field, which fires the plasma at high speed, I might possibly have a go at designing a magnetic compression system as well, to increase plasma density and flight time.

The ionisation medium, and a cap to discharge the magnetic acceleration field will be built into premade ammunition cartridges, whilst detatchable precharged cap banks coupled to large marx generators will power the secondary spark, hopefully, I intend to get this downsized to a man-portable cannon or rifle[8D]

There is a thread about it in more detail on www.chemicalforums.com [nofollow] in the citizen chemist section, under my username here titled "chemical oxygen/iodine lasers" which was what the thread was originally on, but the thread quickly got hijacked by myself into a discussion on building a practical plasma weapon:D

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 13/12/2004 12:29:38 »
Blimey, this sounds scary. How far will the plasma bolt travel before falling apart ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Limpet chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/12/2004 13:54:09 »
I have read about some guy using a similar principle using a squirt of LiCl solution into a 230 volt arc I believe, built in a flowerpot, apparently the guy got plasma fireballs that shot up to ten feet.

Of course, range and velocity of the plasma bolt will increase with voltage increase both the the plasma arc, and the propelling magnetic field, I imagine having a goot 3-400 kv behind it will be quite a big difference from that mains powered unoptimised version the guy built[8D]

I considered possibly attempting a "gauss-rifle" version, using electromagnets to accelerate the plasma bolt like a railgun, but the power requirements start to become quite the problem there, and I'm not too keen on creating a several megawatt marx generator, both because of the price of the caps needed, and the potential to blow me into little meaty chunks if just one or two of those sized caps discharged into me[:0]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 13/12/2004 13:54:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums