The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I produce dimethylfuran in the lab?  (Read 3760 times)

Offline HellFrozenOver

• View Profile
How can I produce dimethylfuran in the lab?
« on: 07/07/2008 20:11:24 »
This relates to my previous topic about producing ethanol in the lab.. Im still continuing my research into fuels for my IB Extended Essay topic and after a lot of reading i realized how inefficient ethanol is as a fuel. High volatlity, low energy density and prone to contamination with water. So im thinking instead of me trying to research a way to increase the yeild of ethanol for every piece of biocrop, it would be beter if i researched into dimethylfuran, such as the amount of energy produced per litre and any effects it might have on the engine and the environment.

Can anyone help explain the process for producing it in the lab? And in your opinion.. Which research question would be better to pursue? Increasing the yield of ethanol or pros and cons of dimethylfuran? (note that im still in high school... :-\)

Thanks
« Last Edit: 08/07/2008 08:25:57 by chris »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How can I produce dimethylfuran in the lab?
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2008 23:32:00 »
This relates to my previous topic about producing ethanol in the lab.. Im still continuing my research into fuels for my IB Extended Essay topic and after a lot of reading i realized how inefficient ethanol is as a fuel. High volatlity, low energy density and prone to contamination with water. So im thinking instead of me trying to research a way to increase the yeild of ethanol for every piece of biocrop, it would be beter if i researched into dimethylfuran, such as the amount of energy produced per litre and any effects it might have on the engine and the environment.

Can anyone help explain the process for producing it in the lab? And in your opinion.. Which research question would be better to pursue? Increasing the yield of ethanol or pros and cons of dimethylfuran? (note that im still in high school... :-\)

Thanks
Have you ever tried propelling your motorbike with methanol?

Offline HellFrozenOver

• View Profile
Re: How can I produce dimethylfuran in the lab?
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2008 05:50:31 »
No.. I dont use a motorbike..

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2008 14:16:46 »
No.. I dont use a motorbike..
It's a pity. When I was a boy I used to make experiments with several fuels: ethanol/gasoline, pure ethanol, methanol/gasoline, pure methanol, nitromethane/gasoline. The best is methanol: very high octane number, higher energy per unit volume of the fuel/air mix, higher ignitiability, higher cooling (because of the higher vaporization enthalpy). Of course you have to increase the quantity injected and this increases much the consumptions, but the motorbike...fly away.
Those were the days!

Offline HellFrozenOver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2008 18:53:03 »
Wow.. Maybe i can make like a mini toy vehicle that runs on fuel.. Jus using a simple engine or something.. =) Thanks for the input btw..

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 16/07/2008 17:43:50 »
Mmm, and how did the engine take to these experiments lightarrow? Does methanol corrode the engine?

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 16/07/2008 17:43:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums