The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would Just Wiping And Leaving To Dry Be Just As Safe As Spraying ?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Wipeologists ! *that's all of us then isn't it ?...well..except me..I never wipe and I never wash*

See This rather fetching GLASS cutting board ?

Why an Orange ?...why not something more tasteful like a collection of raw rotting meat ?
Sheesh !!..someone got their marketing wrong !!

Anyway, it's glass right ?

Say I played around with some raw chicken (as ewe do) with it but did not spray it with some cleaner etc after I had finished using it. If I just wiped it well with a cloth and left it to dry...would there still be some nasty salmonella and other bugs still upon it ?.....I'm treating this as if I have left it to dry totally over night ?

whajafink ?

hugs et les shmisheys

neil
Chicken Plucker

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline decepticon

• View Profile
I'm far from an oracle of any sorts so i wait to be corrected but i think that alot of bacteria could be killed off by simply leaving to dry, but as i understand it some bacteria also have a mechanism where they can shut down all systems then come back to life when conditions are favourable (not sure about whether this would work against salmonella though)
i also wonder about domestos which kills 99.9% of all known germs, as there are probably tens of thousands of germs (probably millions). that actually leaves quite alot of untouchable bacteria.
cheers

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hummm, I would think it would still be  yuccky.. even on glass..check these out!

http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/hcp_364-Cutting_board

Subsequent research has shown that tightly grained hardwood boards, such as maple, can offer superior protection from food-borne illness to those made from plastics and acrylic. On the other hand, glass and acrylic cutting boards, in particular, are easier to clean and sanitize than wooden models.

Following are a few pointers to keep in mind:

* Proper cleaning and sanitizing offers the best protection from food-borne illness. Cutting boards should be cleaned after slicing breads or vegetables, and both cleaned and sanitized immediately after being used for cutting meat, fish or poultry. This reduces the risk of transmitting illness-causing bacteria to uncontaminated food.

* You may wish to acquire two or more boards and designate each one for a specific task. Meat-cutting surfaces should be kept separate from those used to slice other kinds of food.

* All cutting boards should be scrubbed in hot, soapy water and rinsed thoroughly immediately after use. Sanitize the cleaned cutting surface by flooding it with a highly diluted solution of bleach in water and allowing the solution to set for several minutes. Even a one-to-a-hundred ratio of bleach to water will disinfect well without giving off lots of irritating chlorine vapors. Then, rinse the board thoroughly and dry.

* Wooden boards may be washed in soapy water and rinsed, but be sure to dry the board completely afterward to avoid splitting wood plies. Wooden boards cannot be placed in an automatic dishwasher without damage or splitting.

* You may sanitize a wooden board in the microwave after a hand washing as long as the board fits inside. Monitor the board carefully while operating the microwave to prevent overheating and damage.

* Acrylic, glass and plastic boards may be cleaned in a dishwasher, but be sure to sanitize boards used to cut meats in addition to washing. This is especially true as the cutting surface becomes nicked and gouged from cutting and carving.

* Non-porous glass is a tough surface that’s easy to clean and sanitize, but it will dull knife blades quickly and can damage them permanently. You may choose to use only inexpensive cutlery on glass cutting surfaces, and then discard the knives once dull.

* Plastic boards featuring Microban® antimicrobial protection need to be cleaned and sanitized after use as diligently as regular plastics and other materials. Microban® is not a permanent surface sanitizer. It’s designed solely to keep bacteria from degrading the plastic.

* Over time, all cutting boards wear out to such an extent that effective cleaning and sterilization become difficult or impossible. Most synthetic boards, and many wooden models, are inexpensive to begin with, so they may be discarded and replaced when worn. When completely dry, expensive or exotic wooden boards with light damage may be refinished by sanding, but many deep gouges can’t be removed successfully using this method. A professional should refinish expensive wooden boards.

References:

Dean O. Cliver, Ph.D., professor of population health and reproduction, University of California at Davis: “Plastic and Wooden Cutting Boards”

U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service: food safety, cookware and equipment FAQ page

References listed above credit sources The Housekeeping Channel consulted for background or additional information.

All HC-PediaTM content is © 2005-2008 The Housekeeping Channel.

You may freely use, excerpt or cite this material provided the Housekeeping Channel receives credit and the Web address www.HousekeepingChannel.com is plainly listed with all uses, excerpts or citations.

More info different site..
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?fid/123/tid/786320/nfbb_session_id/8b675fe83cec0cec54f07699d90cc489/

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I believe all need to be sanitized. Wood or porous materials as such plastic etc.. the overnight drying helps to seal up the pours in the surface and help prevent infection from the nasty bacteria..best to clean and sanitize all boards especially chicken ones seperately.....
« Last Edit: 08/07/2008 21:06:15 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums