The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Much Water Is In The Atmosphere ?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Much Water Is In The Atmosphere ?
« on: 10/07/2008 21:20:32 »
Dear Atmosphereologists,

Like my atmosphere ?

Nice eh ?   Being delivered next Tuesday !

Atmospheres are my all time favourite  gaseous type things that surround planets !
I love them, ewe love them , A bloke called Atmos with big Spheres loved them , hence why atmospheres are named after his large Spheres !!

So, how much water is in the atmosphere ?....I was also going to ask if it varied depending on the time of year but I gather what declines in one part of the world is increased somewhere else.

I told my kids that like Cadburys chocolate that their must be at least a glass and a half of water but they reckon it's more !!....

Help me win my bet by telling me will ya ?(lol..they are so silly !...I will berate them later !)

Thanking you for your kind consideration in this matter.

Neil
Atmosphere Exister Inner

« Last Edit: 10/07/2008 21:23:45 by neilep »

paul.fr

« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2008 00:51:45 »
The only estimate i have ever seen is one by the USGS, they estimate that (or report that) there is an estimated volume of 3100 cubic miles of water in the atmosphere at any one time. (IIRC) One way to see if there is more water in you local atmospheric area (!) today than yesterday is to look at your barometer or the local weather report, if you have a falling barometer then you have greater water vapour in the atmosphere.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2008 13:41:37 »
The only estimate i have ever seen is one by the USGS, they estimate that (or report that) there is an estimated volume of 3100 cubic miles of water in the atmosphere at any one time. (IIRC) One way to see if there is more water in you local atmospheric area (!) today than yesterday is to look at your barometer or the local weather report, if you have a falling barometer then you have greater water vapour in the atmosphere.

Thank EWE Paul !

That's a lot of water !!

I guess it would be a bad day if it all disappeared !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2008 18:56:15 »
I loved the link.. LOL And the drum player,and the song, but I couldn't figure out the password! DID YOU... I even built a truck! LOL...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2008 18:56:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums