The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are electric cars really more environmentally friendly?  (Read 25632 times)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Are electric cars really more environmentally friendly?
« Reply #25 on: 24/09/2008 20:05:13 »
I haven't looked through the maths here, but I did notice that the comparisons seem to be based on calculating efficiency of the entire delivery system for a fully charged battery (mentioning heat/mechanical/AC/DC/voltages).

I think it should be pointed out that even though crude oil contains a great deal of potential energy, distilling petroleum fuels from it, plus transporting & storing them goes along way to offsetting that figure in just the same way as talk about the electricity generating network does. -Comparitively, coal has to be dug out of the ground. But it doesn't need to be distilled as well!

To bring us back to Paul's (who started the thread) question:
Electrically powered (by which we mean chemical battery storage) could be infinitely more environmentally sustainable than our current mainstream solutions IF the energy came solely from a renewable resource such as PV solar.

Offline teragram

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24/09/2008 21:59:05 »
Thanks for the link, Pumblechook. I'm away for a few days, will look at it on return.
Based on you're description of the Dickens character, I could probably out-Pumblechook you!

Offline teragram

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24/09/2008 22:01:57 »
Interesting points, Peppercorn

Offline remlapwc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05/10/2008 01:23:26 »
Perhaps a way round the battery problem on future electric vehicles would be to develop a standard sized slot in battery pack that could be exchanged for a charged pack at the equivalent of a petrol station.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 05/10/2008 01:23:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length