The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What were the small white creatures that crawled from the body of a dead fly?  (Read 3004 times)

Jakub Liu

Jakub Liu asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Dr.Chris,

my name is Jakub, 8.5 years old. I have the following question: Once I killed a fly, then I saw white creatures crawling out of its body, looking like slugs. What were they?

Regards, Jakub

What do you think?

blakestyger

Did they crawl out or were they ejected when the fly was squashed - I've seen this happen and they were, in that case, the eggs that the fly would have laid sometime later. I'd really need to have seen it to be sure and I may be wrong and there is another explanation - we'll see what turns up.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Do any flies rear their young inside their bodies? Could these have been future progeny?

Female flies certainly carry with them a supply of sperm conserved from their last mating. This is used to fertilise eggs subsequently, or until another mating takes place. The penis of male fruit flies is equipped with a digging tool to enable them to root out from the female any sperm already present to  enable them to "displace" the genes of competitors.

Chris

blakestyger

The penis of male fruit flies is equipped with a digging tool

Like a sort of Swiss Army penis - the possibilities are endless.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
They might be the eggs of the fly or maggots which look like
transparent earth worms.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums