The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it common or useful to be able to control goosebumps, and pulse, at will?  (Read 139918 times)

beatyouonce

• View Profile
Can anyone relate to this? Have you ever tried to keep the goosebumps inside? You know how they always seem to go up to your head up your spine and then just go away.

Have you tried keeping it inside and moving around but never letting it out?

I feel it gets a lot stronger the longer you can do that, i can only manage that for about 20 seconds. But i can keep the goosebumps fullbody going for 2-4 min.

Then there was that chi man video on youtube, I personally dont believe anything until i've seen it myself, but he does mention that he pushes in energy into his stomach, where he "mixes it"

Not i've tried pushing as much of this into my stomach/ab area and if you can hold it there and keep adding it does seem to feel interesting.

P.S i dont buy into any of this mystical stuff spiritual or whatnot, if this stuff is real if it is an energy we all have that we can control, then it will be explained by science.

JJ88

• View Profile
Can anyone relate to this? Have you ever tried to keep the goosebumps inside? You know how they always seem to go up to your head up your spine and then just go away.

Have you tried keeping it inside and moving around but never letting it out?

I feel it gets a lot stronger the longer you can do that, i can only manage that for about 20 seconds. But i can keep the goosebumps fullbody going for 2-4 min.

Then there was that chi man video on youtube, I personally dont believe anything until i've seen it myself, but he does mention that he pushes in energy into his stomach, where he "mixes it"

Not i've tried pushing as much of this into my stomach/ab area and if you can hold it there and keep adding it does seem to feel interesting.

P.S i dont buy into any of this mystical stuff spiritual or whatnot, if this stuff is real if it is an energy we all have that we can control, then it will be explained by science.

Finally some  people with  common intrests , i have the same  freaking  abillity and i dont know how i can even manage to do it. But i was in to dragonball Z long time ago i was 15 at the time.
I went with a friend during full moon outside, screamed like an sayian and since then im capable of doing this at will. I just have to visualize the energy flowing or bursting out of my body and there it is : goosebumps all over my body. Its almost 10 years now. Think im gonna have a little goosebump party, if anyone has some questions feel free to ask.

(Disclaimer, this is NO bullshit story! All the events happend as told here!)

JJ88

Country_boy1986

• View Profile
I am also able too controll my my goose bumps or chills all I half to do is think bout it an I can do it as long as I want to, also I am able to controll my heart rate I can make it go as low as 35 beats per minute an my normal heart rate is 54 an my resting heart rate is 45 . Also have an extremely high sense of smell an hearing. Bet yea never heard of a person being able to smell a rattle snake even before u see it an automatically no there's one somewhere around in the yard while walkin. I tolerate pain different also when I'm in pain my blood pressure is high an I'm very adgil irritable. An I haven't been sick since 2009 to now so fare. I'm also o+/CMV-. An one more thing before I was ever able to do all this I'd donated blood one time an when I donated my blood pressure was 80/50 an heart rate was 35 an oxygen was100% I don't no if that's what caused it but sense then I've been able to do this. It's the truth100% believe me or not.

Country_boy1986

• View Profile
Burning an heat hot to the touch sensations in hands?
« Reply #253 on: 16/09/2013 07:12:32 »
What causes your hands to feel like heat hot burning sensation to the touch ? Just wondering cause my hands have done it three times before with a 2 month period it feels as if you stick your hands in boiling hot water thing is it don't hurt just wierd . An also my hands an feet goes ice cold feeling an tempature dropes an who body goes cold., my doc said when I go cold like that its probably cause my resting heart rate is 45 do u guys no anything bout this? Also I get an natural high out of no where some times an my eyes dilate as if I'm high as hell an hadnt done anything to get that way  .

RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... when I donated my blood pressure was 80/50 an heart rate was 35 an oxygen was100%

What causes your hands to feel like heat hot burning sensation to the touch ?

To have a heart rate that low [35bpm] and the oximeter still reading "100%" oxygen saturation, a possible explanation is you have too many red blood cells, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycythemia , a condition which can also produce "burning" hand pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradycardia
« Last Edit: 16/09/2013 18:25:58 by RD »

Liger_Yager

• View Profile
Thanx guys I wanted to know was there anyone else that could do this. I can make the goosebumps show up on any limb or all over. I can't make them show up on my hands, feet, or face.

JBB I too started this by watching DBZ Goku going super sayin (spelling) but after feeling the effects of him doing this I then tried to reproduce the feeling and only succeeded by thinking of that part of the show. Now I can do it without the add of this. I feel it's done by controlling my breathing; as I slow my breathing down before I began to do this.

I hope this is just the beginning and has ESP applications. I'm not crazy but I do feel the human body is able to do more than we are doing. If any of you want to talk about this more e-mail me at D_Juan_4u@yahoo.com

Again thanx guys. 

teknix

• View Profile
Here is a video I made doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIr7btx5n44

They are now calling this phenomena ASMR in the united states, but in other countrys it has been known as Tian Qi or Prana, in which according to scientific nomenclature the first to discover it get to name it, so calling it whatever else is scientifically inaccurate.

It is also generally acquired through forms of Internal Alchemy or Meditation.
« Last Edit: 10/10/2013 16:32:53 by teknix »

teknix

• View Profile
I would suggest that those who do experience it document it as well.

And maybe get a hold of the ASMR research center here :

http://www.asmr-research.org/

sc20

• View Profile
I'm another one of the people who have this seemingly useless "talent".

I couldn't even guess at when I first discovered I could do it, but I know it was happening in my early teens (I'm 30 now).

Any time I wish I can cause the sensation to occur, regardless of temperature. I can even cause it in saunas or hot tubs despite the heat. Like almost everyone else, a sensation almost like an electric chill begins at the rear base of the skull, then spreads down the spine and to the limbs in waves. Accompanying that is the feeling of power or strength. When trying to explain that feeling of power to people in the past, I've described it as feeling like I could jump a house or lift a car over my head. It just feels like raw power.

The whole body is flooded with that massive surge, like an adrenaline rush, and if I focus on it I can increase it to the point where the sensation becomes almost uncomfortable. There have been times when I've actually caused the back of my head to be sore afterwards because the feeling was so strong and I kept it going for so long (minutes at a time). The soreness felt very much like when you have sore cheeks from laughing really hard, except it was located in the rear of the head/neck (I believe it would be the splenius capitis muscle).

When I experience the sensation, my eye muscles want to tense up as though squinting. Once I finally release the sensation my vision feels crisper, and colors are more vivid as though I'm looking at the world through high saturation filters. It only lasts 30 seconds or so before my colors return to normal.

Like some others, I'm able to control my pulse and heart rate. I've had heart issues since I was a child, and I can recall entertaining myself when hooked up to heart monitors by raising and lowering my heart rate, or making it settle at different rates. At the time I didn't think it was a big deal - I thought everyone could do it.

I have no idea what is actually going on in the body when this all occurs, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who can do it. None of my friends or family can, so they never understood what I was talking about. They just thought it was odd whenever I'd show them how I could raise goosebumps at will.

itsalive

• View Profile
No, you guys definitely aren't alone. The heart rate thing I was a bit unsure was related. It's pretty cool to have that level of control of the mind/body but I too sometimes wonder if it could only cause complications later on. I've just come to terms to think of it as some form of channeling inner chi.

Rennie

• View Profile
I was just browsing through to find out about Goosebumps. I can control them as I want and I can create goose bumps all over my body, keep them as long as I want and then take it of. I never try to lower or increase my pulse. I do feel it has to be a mind over body effect. My friends find it weird that I can do that. It all has to do with the mind. It will be good to learn to slow down the heart rate.

Syxx676

• View Profile
I just had to join this thread, as I too can do the same thing.  Send goosebumps and raise the hairs on my arm on command... curious to read more about this...

user1989

• View Profile
hello there , i am also able to control goosebumps, im from roumania ,i'm 24 well i guess we could make like a little list see how many can gather here and where from ,(i know my english is not that good)
PS: take care

beatyouonce

• View Profile
Its amazing to see so many people here all sayign the same thing, and all hoping that this "power" turns into something more. Also ROOOMANIA!! lol  =)

if anyone is down for some chatting about this I have a e-mail i created, to tlak to others about this. Shoot me an e-mail at goosebumpcontrol at the geee mail

Sku

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

you really made me register here too, good job. ;)

I've read every single post till here, it took me about 3 hours with some breaks.

I'm male, 24y, blonde, can't get fat no matter what I eat, and was better then everyone else in sports at school,...actually I was always good at everything I tried (no matter if sports, math, science, pc, machines, call it gifted or whatever you want, it just makes life boring..no challenges :/)
My eyes got bad when I was like 10, refused the glasses till I was 16, had a lasersurgery on them 4 months ago, and can make my view as blurry as when I couldn't see well.
But there are some of you like this, right?

Anyway.

I also got my goosebumps "somehow" under controll. My memories of using it go back to somewhere when I was 15-16 and I was exploring some forrests with my cousin while the family was BBQ'ing. We came accross a cliff which we wanted to pass, but there was only a fallen tree usable as a passage. As I got up there I almost sh*t my pants because of the fear....but then I rememberd something from Dragonball (pretty much into animes) and I pushed my fear with the goosebumps away, with every wave the fear washed away and I was able to walk over the tree, stand in the middle and fear nothing negative.

At the moment I've been playing around with those goosebumps for 2-3 weeks because it was somehow always there and I didnt really noticed it to that extend.
For me it works something like this...
I can create somekind of tension in my body but it feels like its a different layer of matter, it is there where my body is, but it does'nt touch it everywhere.
So to activate it to make my body feel it, I imagine something like a neverending flamebursting explosion in the middle of myself, and it starts to create waves that beginn in the lower half of my head (if you would divide it horizontally in the middle) and rush through my whole body first, then I can let the next bursts flow somehow where I want them.
The thing is, if I hear or imagine somekind of epic music (or at least music which I connect to epic moments in animes/movies), if I imagine myself emiting flames from every inch of my body, or if I imagine myself having wings (yeah weird, but I have always had pretty vivid dreams about it since I can remember anything, and it keeps repeating), then those goosebumps go to an extreme that my nose beginns to bleed a little and my head starts shaking a little like getting in touch with electricity.
If I close my eyes with that it gets even more extreme, but that really did hurt so not gonna try it for a while...

After those extrem bumps, I get hungry as hell, I swear I could eat and eat after that.
My heart makes me feel like I'm really tired and it feels like its sitting there, puping some blood in a bullet, and then shooting it into the body, so my heartbeat goes pretty much down.
Another thing I noticed is also like you got it with the painreception. I can neglect pretty much of the incoming pain with the bumps.

As I've seen from most of you, we seem to think or/and feel that we have something that not everyone has. And from some posts here I've also got the feeling that they would like to say stuff they cant in the public, and thats also a point why I guess some off us here would like to get in contact with the others.

I would love to actually, and I would like to find someone who could teach me how to make use of this.
Hope to hear from you're experiences, I'll try some off them.
« Last Edit: 03/03/2014 23:38:56 by Sku »

miamisinatra

• View Profile
Hi Jolyon, I too can make myself get goosebumps from something I can trigger in my head.  I've always been curious about it wondering if I could somehow trigger other "hidden" abilities.  They say that humans only utilize 10% of their brains true capabilities.

user1989

• View Profile
and why would someone from roumania get a lol ????

Omnifarious Nefarious

• View Profile
I too, also have this exact same ability. Much in the way of the others, and the OP. I can control my goosebumps at will. I breath slowly, and deeply out, and kind of flex the area around the base of my neck (the back) ever so slightly, which causes this invigorating feeling of electricity to spew out from the upper portion of my back, (base of the brain stem area to the top of the shoulders) and it spreads out from there. Doing this causes me to go kind of cross-eyed, and I get this sound of rushing water in my inner ear which then gives me a bulging feeling in my inner ear when I release the tension from my head and neck area.

I believe it to be an indirect/direct stimuli thing. It's VERY easy to create and hold goosebumps if I think of something that would give me pride and excitement at the same time. (Being a super powered hero during a battle, knowing your power, and being cocky because of it. That sense of, "I'm the prince of all Saiyans!" will get goosebumps NO problem.) To do it without thinking those happy, prideful thoughts is harder, and produces a smaller effect, but those goose bumps can be held for a longer period of time, but they're duller. They mostly stay in the lower half of my extremities.  The goosebumps form around my calf and shin areas, and stay there until I release them, or they fade on their own, sames goes for my forearms when doing this without thinking of things and scenarios to trigger it. For those Dragon Ball Z fans,  you know how the combat armor with the big pauldrons was shaped that most of Frieza's men wore? In that shape, layed over my body, is where the feeling of goosebumps go. Over the shoulders, curving down onto the body, skipping the thighs and upper arms, and being very strong in the forearms and lower legs.
« Last Edit: 25/04/2014 03:42:54 by Omnifarious Nefarious »

RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

cheryl j

• View Profile
The goose bump thing sounds a little like ASMR. Most people who experience ASMR get it in response to certain images or sounds, but some people can induce the sensation without any stimulus. It's described as a pleasant tingly sensation that generally starts in the scalp or back of the head and passes down the back or through the shoulders, sometimes all the way down to the feet. Here are some links if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

http://www.asmr-research.org/

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/491/transcript

Kevinsgustavson

• View Profile
Wow!!! Let me start off by saying I've been pondering the answer to is question for 5 years now.  I've been a newbie and. Have been searching for "the chills" but obviously that's synonymous with goosebumps!,

So my story is pretty crazy so I'm going to summarize it and if anyone has questions please don't hesitate to contact me!

So I am 25 years old, and when I was 20 I did the master cleanse and also journaled for the first time in my life.  The journaling was basically asking question after question, stemming new questions I would've never formulated without e previous one. After about 200 pages of writing for about one or two weeks straight, I felt a mental calmness that is very hard to describe.  But basically this new calmness or mental awareness allowed me to trigger "the chills" or goosebumps until this day. Previous to all of my writing I would only get the chills in very rare circumstances from an intense movie scene etc which seems to be somewhat common.  But now if I am very relaxed and reflect on that the. I am able to trigger these goosebumps at a rapid pace and even can cool my body down. As far as pulse is concerned, I have been at 45 bpm bc my cardio is so good but never really measured during a meditative state, I'd imagine I'd be in the 30s.

Going to read through these pages..
But very happy I found you guys!

All the best
Kevin

RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... 200 pages of writing for about one or two weeks straight ...

Compulsive writing can be a symptom of epilepsy ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergraphia
Focal-seizure could explain the unusual sensations and mental-states ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_seizure
« Last Edit: 20/05/2014 23:02:02 by RD »

cheryl j

• View Profile
Just out of curiosity, Kevinsgustavason and Omnifarious, do you ever experience this sensation in response to certain sounds or images as well? Typical triggers include tapping, scratching, crinkling, rustling, brushing, certain voices, or whispering, and certain kinds of repetitive finger movements. It might be interesting to check out the different ASMR videos on youtube and see if they have any effect on you. The videos might strike you as odd at first, but it's interesting to see what different people respond to. Here's one for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfs0LuEQmU
Or try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQIt9kqNFNE&list=PL7qQ1x__X4UOdEmXND3gxe9NLH86q8dK1

mpp

• View Profile
Hi
Have this since I can remember,  can do all of symptoms that havebeen posted.
But i can mantain the rushing over and over, make my eyes water, make my muscles contract and shake,heart speed up and slow down I canlift heavier weights, my eyes focus better, feel almost electric, pulsating, especialy when im out and a storm is brewing,  like something is gonna happen, like im waiting for somthing, my muscles start shaking and teeth can chatter uncontrollably  very spiritual, very weird, im in mid thirties and never spoke of this before

Ironwok

• View Profile
I happen to also be able to do this.  I'm not entirely sure if it is the exact same "goose bump" effect.  The total time limit I can keep this going is usually around half an hour in a session. [got other things to do].
I find it is not so much trying to have goosebumps as much as it is letting a wave of energy pass through your body.  This adrenaline like feeling I found is easiest to try and control from the spine. 

The first key is breathing deeply.  Feel the rush of air into your lungs.  I also found that if you have troubles starting, music you really like can help you get an idea of what the "feeling" feels like.  If you are doing it right, as you inhale, you should be able to feel the "goosebump" wave throughout your back and spine, sometimes legs. 

Try and repeat the tingling process, at the peak of each breath [building up the feeling as you breathe in].  I found that you have to build up intensity with each breath to really get it going.

If you have been using music or something that stimulates the response, try and remove it after a while and activate it without a trigger.

The real trick which I am still trying to get to is let this feeling pass through your arms to your hands.  I have made progress from middle back/shoulder blade, to working it out to just past my elbows.  It seems to be really hard to work it towards your hands.  I think it may be possible however, seeing as I've made it progress through more than half my arms with a LOT of practice.

Usually good places to do it is if you are riding in a car or on a bus, [not driving] because it is an adrenaline response [i think].

I am a 25 year old male, and an athlete in peak fitness.  I've had this tingling response very strongly my entire life, but did not start controlling it until about 22.

Another physiological attribute of mine [not necessarily proud of] is that i'm a berserker.  I've spent a life of training myself daily to not enter that state.  This is really only activated by extreme emotional or extreme physical pain response.  I am curious if this has anything to do with the ability to constantly keep the goosebump feeling going. 

the best explanation I got for keeping the feeling active and constant is;

try and re-release that dopamine as a response to the release of dopamine.  What I mean is you need that goosebump feeling to excite you in the same way music does ect.  Its like a runaway effect.  Once you start the feeling, the feeling GIVES you the feeling.  I guess a way to summarize it is similar to the runaway greenhouse effect on earth.  earth heats up, melts permafrost, releases methane, heats up even more, melts more permafrost, releases more methane.

if epic music, some sport, sex, some activity etc gives you goosebumps because you like it or it excites you.  I can't speak for women because I'm not one, so the triggers I listed might not work.  You have to find what works for you.

I know this sounds really weird, but its the best description I have.  I really hope this helps, as it can be used for extreme adrenaline release, which can be used in sports [and other things].  Imagine your at a starting line and you can make your hairs stand on end to the point where you want to laugh and cry at the same time [literally start tearing up].  When you begin you don't feel any fatigue at all and exercise seems entirely effortless.  The trick is keeping it going throughout the race.

I also found that when you're in this state you can do improv effortlessly.  so writing song lyrics on the spot just flows.  same with speaking or attempting to motivate others [team motivational speech].

So at Jolyon, it does have a use and give this a try.  Hope it helps!

let me know if anyone finds this mental state useful for anything other that what I've listed.
If you don't meditate, you should start.

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines