The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do we need to eat animals?  (Read 4707 times)

Jam Sandwich

Why do we need to eat animals?
« on: 15/07/2008 09:59:56 »
Jam Sandwich  asked the Naked Scientists:

I understand why plants are important - that legumes fix nitrogen from the air from which we get proteins. However, why do we have to eat animals?

What complex proteins are made in animals that we are unable to get from plants, and somehow make ourselves?

What part of the chain of protein formation do we need animals to do?

James from Derby

What do you think?

Offline bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2008 14:39:08 »
We don't have to eat animals. Our ancestors ate them because they are an excellent source of protein and calories. I eat animals because they are tasty. But there is nothing we need in meat which we can't get from plants.
However, this is one way in which animal protein is particularly good for us. You mentioned complex proteins, its not the complex proteins but their building blocks: amino acids we're interested in. There are a few amino acids which we are incapable of synthesising in our own bodies they are called essential amino acids because it is essential that they are in our diets. Meat contains all of the essential amino acids while no plants have all of them. But you can get all of them on a vegan diet by balancing different types of fruit and veg.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2008 19:23:15 »
We don't need to eat animals and there are plenty of vegetarians and vegans to prove this.

However, where I live in the North of England, the only thing that grows well (at least on the hills) is grass. I can't eat that, but sheep and cattle can, and I can eat them. Farming animals sometimes lets you make more use of the available land.

Offline Jerryade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2008 12:28:21 »
though we don't need to eat animals but we need to check mate their population, and in the process we get protein but we have gone too far with the process to the extent of leading the animals into extinction.

Offline chenrko420

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2008 19:21:48 »
Its hard to get good source of protein from other sources.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2008 19:21:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums