The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do Egg Cartons Really Help Soundproof A Room ?  (Read 52107 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Do Egg Cartons Really Help Soundproof A Room ?
« on: 16/07/2008 13:49:37 »
Dearest Naked Science Peeps Of Cosmopolitan Academia.

See this Egg tray holder thingy ?

Nice eh ?

Egg trays are my all time favourite thing that hold eggs in tray form !

But I have heard about peeps who stick them to their walls claiming that they help to soundproof the room!....As a sheepy, I of course have a beautiful voice and wish not to deny my neighbours of my nightly renditions of Leonard Bernstein  and Stephen Sondheim's " I feel Pretty" from 1am thru to 6am.....accompanied by my thirty strong kettle drum band... My neighbours contsant banging on the walls and shouting " Cheers encore , encore "** only serves my enthusiasm to repeat my performance through the night...every night....just for them.

Anyway,......is there any truth that egg cartons serve to dampen a rooms acoustics and sound proof it more effectively than if I just put something else up there ?...wool for instance ?

Whajafink ?

neil
Sheep Singer

** Some nice man from the environmental office suggested that my neighbours were not actually shouting "Cheers encore, encore " but "Please No More , no more"!!..LOL !!..yeah right !!

« Last Edit: 16/07/2008 13:53:12 by neilep »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/07/2008 14:01:09 »
Egg boxes (as shown) do help a bit to soundproof a room, though not a lot! The main reason people stick egg boxes on walls of a room (other than being rather eccentric and/or having a very understanding wife/husband/partner) is to reduce echos and resonances at particular frequencies. The surfaces of eggboxes are uneven and angled and absorb the sound rather than reflecting it as a plain wall would. It is a poor man's anechoic chamber. They do not have much effect at the lower frequency end which is the sounds that tend to pass through walls and annoy neighbours.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2008 15:59:48 »
Egg boxes (as shown) do help a bit to soundproof a room, though not a lot! The main reason people stick egg boxes on walls of a room (other than being rather eccentric and/or having a very understanding wife/husband/partner) is to reduce echos and resonances at particular frequencies. The surfaces of eggboxes are uneven and angled and absorb the sound rather than reflecting it as a plain wall would. It is a poor man's anechoic chamber. They do not have much effect at the lower frequency end which is the sounds that tend to pass through walls and annoy neighbours.

This is fascinating. Thank You so much graham.d (you didn't used to be a DJ on Capital Radio by any chance ?)

So, the fact that they actually absorb the sound may be the reason why my neighbours keep on knocking !..They can't hear it and want me to play even louder !

Absolutely right about those low frequencies.....I've heard some subs that literally make you feel sick !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2008 15:59:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums