The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do babies get dizzy or light headed in the womb?  (Read 6238 times)

paul.fr

Do babies get dizzy or light headed in the womb?
« on: 18/07/2008 13:09:30 »
With all of that spinning and moving around, and, i would guess, some time spent upside down, do they ever get dizzy or lightheaded?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2008 23:43:48 »
I'm not sure how we'd know! Also, I'm not sure at what stage the vestibular system - the aparatus in the inner ear that senses movement and head position - actually switches on and begins to transmit information to the brain and, similarly, at what stage the brain pathways become sufficiently developed to interpret and respond to that information. My instinct is probably quite late in development because vestibular function is not that useful to a newborn human (although it is critical to other more precocious animals).

Chris

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2008 21:42:34 »
Do newborn babies get travelsick?
If not perhaps it's because their vestibular system isn't developed. If they do, it must be.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2008 00:48:22 »
if you have ever stayed neutrally buoyant in water and closed your eyes you often have difficulty telling which way is up. Encased in all the lovely warm amniotic fluid which way is up is not so much of a concern.
Once the baby's head engages it stays upside down for the duration (mostly).

So I would say that a foetus does not suffer from light-headedness or get dizzy.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2008 00:48:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums