The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dinosaurs to Birds  (Read 8537 times)

Offline Dee

• First timers
    • View Profile
Dinosaurs to Birds
« on: 28/12/2004 18:55:47 »
Have any of you heard the newer information about the evolution of dinosaurs into birds? What are your thought?

They (scientists, obviously) are disscussing the fossils found in Spain, and the Microraptor, I believe.

Also, did any of you see the Top Sciance Stories of 2004 on Discovery Science Channel? Totally awesome!

Offline Predator_X

• View Profile
Re: Dinosaurs to Birds
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2005 08:37:46 »
no u said its awesome wished i hav a chance to see it.............

Offline Dee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/01/2005 21:32:52 »
Well, maybe just really interesting... :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/01/2005 23:35:04 »
Hi Dee,

I personally have not heard the newer information but have been aware of the recent theories of dinosaurs into birds.

Lets hope a passing ' dinosaur to bird ' expert comments in this thread....and welcome to the site Dee.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Sadie

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/02/2005 15:01:25 »
Well, I've heard about that. But I don't know much about it. I do know that while dinos were alive, birds were too. So that may have just been a confusion between reality. I highly doubt that dinos evolved into birds. Looking at the various facts it doesn't look possible.

Offline unknown

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/04/2005 13:45:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sadie

Well, I've heard about that. But I don't know much about it. I do know that while dinos were alive, birds were too. So that may have just been a confusion between reality. I highly doubt that dinos evolved into birds. Looking at the various facts it doesn't look possible.

how do you really know that birds and dinosaurs existed at the same time? And what facts are you basing you're conclusion on? Clearly you haven't even glanced at the evidence, so next time look at the facts please.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/04/2005 17:03:31 »
Actually, dinosaurs and birds did coexist, at least during the late Jurrasic and Cretaceous.  Archaeopteryx, which is considered the oldest fossil bird, is found in Jurrasic rocks.  That being said, fossil evidence still supports a dinosaur ancestry for birds.

Prediction is difficult, especially the future.  -Niels Bohr

Offline rahonavis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23/05/2005 14:26:09 »
Hi everyone,

There is a lot of evidence to support a dinosaurian ancestry for birds. I prefer to class 'dinosaurs' in the traditional sense of the word as 'non-avian dinosaurs'; birds being 'avian dinosaurs'.

The Archaeopteryx specimens are uncannily similar to contemporary non-avian dinosaurs such as Compsognathus. Archaeopteryx seems only to exhibit one single skeletal feature which is seen in other birds but not in non-avian dinosaurs, and this is a fairly trivial difference in the palate.

Had Archaeopteryx been discovered without the feathers, it is likely that it would have been classed as a dinosaur. I personally am aware of 15 species of feathered dinosaur, and do not doubt that more have been found since.

The Ornithologists don't like it, but ask almost any dinosaur palaeontologist and they will tell you that birds are dinosaurs.

Damian.

Offline rahonavis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31/08/2005 20:18:38 »
I did sound stressed didn't I! Don't know what got my feathers ruffled, but it is a subject dear to my heart. Incidentally, my username 'Rahonavis' is a genus of Jurassic bird found in Madagascar. It had sickle-shaped toe-claws like those of the more familliar Velociraptor.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #9 on: 31/08/2005 20:52:21 »
There was a big hoax once where someone faked some fossil evidence between birds and dinosaurs.
They took two fossils, one of a bird and one of a dinosaur and switched some of the bones.
It was so well done that the experts of the national geographic magazine were fooled.
The magazine paid something like half a million dollars for it.
Sometime later it was closely examined by some experts who realized it was a fake.

I believe a  few years later someone uncovered a real fossil which did show a direct link between dinosaurs and birds.
 The fossil they found had feathers and some bone structure of a bird but also had bones that could have only come from a dinosaur.
This time they made sure it was genuine before it was shown to the world.

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31/08/2005 20:55:17 »
Well I wouldn't say you sounded stressed, if you're anything like your namesake I wouldn't dare :D

Offline rahonavis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/09/2005 10:04:55 »
Thanks Simmer ;)

UKMicky has it spot on. The chimeric bird / dinosaur reffered to was dubbed Archaeoraptor, but when exposed as a fake, the dinosaur component of the fossil was renamed Microraptor (as mentioned in Dee's opening question); I don't think the bird component has yet been named.

It has even been suggested that the group of dinosaurs to which Microraptor and Velociraptor belong (Dromaeosauridae) was a family of birds, the later larger taxa (Velociraptor, Dromaeosaurus etc) being secondarily flightless.

A relative of Microraptor within this family, Cryptovolans, may have been a more accomplished flier than the first bird, Archaeopteryx.

I'm not sure I agree that Dromaeosaurs were birds, but their close phylogenetic relationship can no longer be doubted.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 01/09/2005 10:04:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums