The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Last Frontier  (Read 3222 times)

Offline pink_person

• View Profile
The Last Frontier
« on: 28/12/2004 23:58:23 »
Everyone says the last frontier is space, while other may claim it is the human mind.  I have asked many questions about the sea but everyone says we've been there and its not specail anymore.

My thoughts are that if we aren't finished with it, it's still a frontier, so...

why don't we do more exploration into the bottom of the sea huh?
Since we've never been able to make it to the bottom I think we ought to give it a try, besides, we have a better chance in the ocean than we do out in space, don't we?

Pink

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Frontier
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2004 01:33:04 »
Hi Pinky....The Ocean is still one of the least investigated places on Earth.....I would have thought that it's due to the difficult/extreme/inhospitable conditions that we are still unable to explore it fully....for the time being it is still an unknown frontier for the most.........The seas/oceans are most definitely still special and we have most certainly not 'been there and done it '....who ever told you that does not know what they're talking about !.....it's a well known fact that we've barely scraped the surface of our knowledge of it.....perhaps a passing oceanographer will give an opinion too.:)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Blunt

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/12/2004 14:05:12 »
Hi.  I'm a passing oceanographer*.

We know more about the surface of the moon than we know about the bottom of the sea.  Mainly, the issue is pressure - it's huge down there and it's very difficult to find a way to put someone down there without them (or at least their lungs) just getting squashed flat.

pink_person, I suggest you solve this problem in the next 10 hours using only the contents of a local scrapyard.  And a quadbike.  Go!!

* Actually, I'm an environmental scientist.  We ES types believe we have carte blanche to comment on anything we fancy.  In fact, I think I might start putting "freelance scientist" on my tax returns.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2004 14:32:43 »
See ?...someone in the know passes by and confirms the above !!...*sigh* the wonders of this site are truly astounding ....thanks Blunt....incidentally,  scrapheap challenge is great......I'm half way through my build of a star trek Transporter....so far I managed to transport a grape a whole centimetre....I had to help by blowing though !!!!!....DOH !!!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/12/2004 15:40:07 »
We know that the bottom of the sea can be dangerous because of methane gas build ups that can be released causing anything that floats to sink, buried under large amounts of sea bed. I watched with interest as a team descended to the bottom of a trench and took samples of a plant which grew there. It was destroyed in the absence of such pressure. It did look very barren down there. And it was completely dark but for artificial light.

Titanscape

Offline pink_person

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/12/2004 16:50:42 »
A quadbike? A scrap heap? Ten hours?  what is this junkyard wars?  Sure I love to watch it but not participate, I'm more of an idealist...

thanks for the insight though, I think I'm going to do more studies on the ocean, at least someone agrees with me.

Pink

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/12/2004 15:18:00 »
In a previous thread we discussed mining the sea. It's mineral content and methods...

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 31/12/2004 15:18:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums