The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you think about UFOs?  (Read 5687 times)

Richard

What do you think about UFOs?
« on: 26/07/2008 15:23:33 »
Richard asked the Naked Scientists:

Given some recent news on UFO incidents in the UK and US and former astronaut Edgar Mitchell coming out in a radio interview saying "I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and the UFO phenomena is real" (listen  to interview via link below http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24069817-5016574,00.html)

Very recent show on CNN about allegations that UFOs interfered with US nuclear missiles.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/07/20/lkl.ufo.long.cnn

Even the Vatican says aliens could exist.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7399661.stm

Perhaps another program on the subject of UFOs?

Love the show. Keep up the excellent work.

What do you think?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/07/2008 17:02:44 »
If you start with the premise that any alien civilisations with the capability to visit earth would likely be technologically very advanced, and that everything we know is probably wrong, including the current limitations on space travel imposed by our present knowledge of physics, then it would be very possible (even likely) that we would have been visited and/or observed by these aliens. The question I have, given this same premise, would be why would we ever know about it if the aliens did not want to be perceived?

The gentlemen on the Larry King show were very plausible witnesses but the thought that many countries throughout the world have elite secret service groups who co-operate in containing this information seems, to say the least, highly unlikely. I can't think of many countries where this would not get leaked and these networks and their personel exposed, especially in the USA or UK. It is always odd that alien craft always appear in places where there is only one or two witnesses and never to anyone who has a decent camera.

It isn't that I don't think there are civilisations out there. I think there are probably millions, it is just that if they wish to communicate they will do so and if they don't we won't even know they are there. It is why I think SETI is a waste of effort. We would need to stumble upon another civilisation at almost the same technological level as ourselves that may wish to communicate. And that communication, with our technology, would be very stilted even if they were reasonably close. Like many people involved in science, I would love to see a First Contact, but sadly think it won't happen soon.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/07/2008 10:31:50 »
I have to agree with graham. However, I would like to add a little something that isn't very often mentioned.

Many have questioned why a civilisation advanced enough to travel between the stars would play cat & mouse with us - giving us little glimpses but nothing concrete that says "We are here".

Just because an alien civilisation may be technologically advanced enough to have interstellar travel doesn't necessarily mean they are that much more intelligent than us. In that respect they could be a lot more like us than we expect. Maybe they are playful & enjoy playing tricks. That's a fairly common trait among humans. I've even seen animals playing a type of peek-a-boo.

Who, as a child, knocked on people's doors and ran away so that when the door was opened, there was no-one on the doorstep? I'm willing to bet that quite a few of you did. We called it "knock down Ginger" (I haven't a clue why). Why shouldn't aliens be playing a similar game with us? They could be up there in their spaceships laughing out loud at our frustration at opening the door to find no-one there. I can imagine them having a picnic on the Moon and thinking "I know, let's go and tease the Earthlings a bit more".

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this possibility?

I also agree with graham with regard SETI and communication with aliens. We would have to be damned lucky to catch a civilisation at exactly the right time for them to be using a form of communication that we could detect, and for those communications to be powerful enough for us to receive them.

Where I do disagree with graham is on the subject of cover-ups. I consider it highly plausible. There have been quite a few cases of insiders "spilling the beans" only for the authorities to have them labelled as liars or cranks. People can be bought or threatened and I am cynical enough to believe governments capable of both methods.

I'm not saying that I do believe there is a UFO cover-up, just that I do not rule it out.
« Last Edit: 27/07/2008 10:42:30 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/07/2008 13:31:39 »
To quote from Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

Ford explaining "Teasers" to Arthur...

"Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do.  They cruise around looking for planets which haven't made interstellar  contact yet and buzz them".

"Buzz them"? Arthur began to feel that Ford was enjoying making life difficult for him.

"Yeah", said Ford, "they buzz them. They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor soul whom no one's ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennae on their heads and making beep beep noises".

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2008 18:33:35 »
There the ones!  :D

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2008 10:22:23 »
After reading Eric Von Daniken, as a lad, I was convinced that Mr Bergen - my Physics teacher- was from Venus. I was almost convinced enough to confront him.
Just imagine the Staffroom conversations which would have resulted!
Mr Von D has a lot to answer for.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/07/2008 10:26:33 »
Eric Von Daniken - r-sole; but a rich 1.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #7 on: 28/07/2008 13:03:46 »
I remember reading those books by Eric Von Daniken after they were given serialisation coverage in a trash newspaper.

Then after some time read about the science and how most of what he said had been debunked and was just speculation to sell the books. That seems to be coming common practice again.  ;)

I believe that UFOs are just that, Unidentified Flying Objects but have an alternative explanation on what flying saucers are, who pilots them, what they are doing and where they originate from.

But, you will have to wait for the book, 40,000 words so far and plenty more to do and that's no joke! ;D

lyner

« Reply #8 on: 28/07/2008 16:43:12 »
I saw / had a real Spielberg Special encounter once, when driving at night through France. It was very dark and the road was empty for km after km..  Everyone else (wife, kids) were asleep and I saw these lights dancing around in the sky, Very impressive and creepy and you could see it from miles and miles away.
My route eventually took me right past the Chateau, or whatever, where there was a festival going on and they were lighting up some clouds with searchlights. If I hadn't actually 'identified' the 'objects' I guess they would have been UFO's proper.
Gave me a funny five minutes though.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/07/2008 17:28:35 »
Sophie - I had a very similar experience about 25 years ago that turned out to be engineers testing the lasers for a McCartney show at Wembley stadium. It was really weird because you couldn't see the beams going up, just the pattern in the sky. It looked just like a giant flying saucer in the clouds.

lyner

« Reply #10 on: 28/07/2008 18:01:56 »
That's right. Blame poor old Makkers again. Everyone does!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28/07/2008 21:36:24 »
That's right. Blame poor old Makkers again. Everyone does!

Yeah, but I didn't get paid a squillion pounds for blaming him!

lyner

« Reply #12 on: 28/07/2008 22:55:24 »
You wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court.
REFEREE!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28/07/2008 22:56:59 »
Get a better lawyer and chop off your leg!!!!

I have seen a lot of helicopters at night (I live near the Army Flying base.) They often look like UFOs as they hover for a while and then shoot off. I also saw a meteor fall which was really scary!!! I thought the Aliens were about to stick probes..........

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 28/07/2008 22:56:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums