The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tsunamis inflated bodies !!  (Read 4005 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Tsunamis inflated bodies !!
« on: 04/01/2005 09:31:12 »
First of all, the last thing I want to do is cause offence. I am shocked and distressed at the terrible circumstances that have followed as a consequence of the Earthquake in Asia and if anyone feels this question is inappropriate please tell me and I will delete it. My thoughts are with the families and friends of anyone who has a connection with this disaster.

My question is....why does the human body become inflated as a consequence of drowning or being left in water for so long ?

As I said, if this is too indelicate then please tell me, else your answers will be greatly appreciated.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
Re: Tsunamis inflated bodies !!
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2005 17:29:37 »
No offence taken, neilep.

The diets in the affected regions are mainly based on rice.  You know what happens when you add water to rice, don't you?  That's right, a delicious side dish.  But also, the rice gets bloated.  Therefore, people who eat rice and drown get bloated.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2005 19:42:09 »
Thanks Moosehole, I appreciate your answer but I have the seen the same symptoms in animals too and though your answer is logical I wonder if there is another solution, because surely the rice would not have an effect on the faces, arms and legs of those people like I have seen., could it be either the manifestation of gases or an expansion of gases already in the body perhaps ?

thanks

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/01/2005 00:31:36 »
Oh, I didn't actually watch the news or anything, so I thought you just meant that their bellies are bloated.  In that case, maybe they're all allergic to salt water.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/01/2005 02:52:08 »
That's ok...it's my fault for not explaining my question properly, I can see how you came by your answer and realise I should have been more precise, now that I've elaborated further hopefully an answer will ensue.

Thanks again

Offline DrPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/01/2005 17:31:44 »
Putrefaction, the principal component of the decomposition process, begins at about day 2. Gasses produced by the metabolic activities of the anaerobic bacteria first cause a slight inflation of the abdomen. The carcass may later assume a fully inflated, balloon-like appearance.

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/01/2005 11:59:44 »
Bodies found in inland waters also inflate. The rice explanation doesn't hold up as it assumes that the rice dries out in the stomache and there were many non-Asian victims of the tsunami.
Putrefaction is the most accurate reason.

Nah pop no style, a strictly roots!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2005 20:46:54 »
Thank you Mike and DrPhil for your addition to this thread. Seems like your answers...........is the answer.

Thanks again

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2005 20:46:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums