The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What does the perfect face look like?  (Read 64755 times)

Offline mario

• View Profile
What does the perfect face look like?
« on: 30/07/2008 23:49:26 »
I recently read an evolutionary biologist's (Armand Marie leroi) theory of beauty. He mentions briefly that beauty "is about imperfections that are absent".

Assuming that many genetic irregularities and environmental effects can be identified simply by looking at the face, (for example, facial assymetry = developmental instability), what would a face, absent of any kind deleterious environmental or genetic traits look like? could such a face be considered perfect?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2008 00:15:30 »
University of St Andrews psychology site on facial attractiveness...
http://perception.st-and.ac.uk//Attractiveness/attract.htm
« Last Edit: 31/07/2008 00:28:53 by RD »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2008 19:23:41 »
Re. title.
Mine.
:-)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2008 19:39:52 »
Re. title.
Mine.
:-)

Show us please. :)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2008 20:01:45 »
You can change your age gender race with the St Andrews University face transformer...

http://morph.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/

« Last Edit: 31/07/2008 20:09:49 by RD »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2008 21:31:56 »
I heard that childlike features are most attractive such as big eyes and mouth. Sounds odd to me. Julia Roberts is supposed to have the traits of a perfect face. My neice looks like her!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/08/2008 01:08:58 »
George as: ape, child, West Asian.

http://morph.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/
« Last Edit: 01/08/2008 01:23:19 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2008 01:52:28 »
Back to the original question ...

http://goldennumber.net/beauty.htm
« Last Edit: 03/08/2008 02:02:15 by RD »

Offline sarah cp

• Naked Scientist
  • First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/08/2008 16:07:10 »
One common feature of what constitutes the 'perfect' face is symmetry. A possible explanation for why we look for symmetry in a mate (in a mating way, not a friends way!) is that is signals good genetic quality. Small changes during development can lead to irregularities in our facial features - these changes during development could indicate poor genetic quality and so symmetry is favoured. This is of course only a theory, but many studies using computer manipulation of faces has shown that people rate more symmetrical faces as more attractive. This is also true for many other species - work has been done in butterflies showing that females preferred to mate with more symmetrical males.

Of course what constitutes 'beauty' is a different matter altogether - everyone has different subjective preferences, and for most humans, its not only looks that are important. The view also changes culturally across the globe. How someone rates faces in a scientific study may be very different to how they would if they were going out there looking for someone to date.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2008 16:30:33 »
Of course what constitutes 'beauty' is a different matter altogether - everyone has different subjective preferences, and for most humans, its not only looks that are important. The view also changes culturally across the globe.

It has long been said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and thought that beauty varies by race, culture or era.  The evidence, however, shows that our perception of physical beauty is hard wired into our being and based on how closely one's features reflect phi in their proportions.  Take another look at beauty through the eyes of medical science.

Dr. Stephen Marquardt has studied human beauty for years in his practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery.   Dr. Marquardt performed cross-cultural surveys on beauty and found that all groups had the same perceptions of facial beauty.  He also analyzed the human face from ancient times to the modern day.  Through his research, he discovered that beauty is not only related to phi, but can be defined for both genders and for all races, cultures and eras with the beauty mask which he developed and patented.  This mask uses the pentagon and decagon as its foundation, which embody phi in all their dimensions.

http://goldennumber.net/beauty.htm
« Last Edit: 04/08/2008 17:03:21 by RD »

Offline AscensionEnergy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/09/2010 05:57:57 »
   I am actually going through Palate and cranial expansion, plus a new treatment that is pulling the mid-face forward. I can say that as my structure is improving there is an immediate and remarkable change in how women are responding to me. It has absolutely proven to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that women and of course men respond to improved symmetry. I am now a commodity with the opposite sex and it improves every time my symmetry changes which at this point is every day.

Kevin

SPAMMY LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: 06/09/2010 06:48:41 by Geezer »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #11 on: 07/09/2010 10:19:18 »
  I am actually going through Palate and cranial expansion, plus a new treatment that is pulling the mid-face forward. I can say that as my structure is improving there is an immediate and remarkable change in how women are responding to me. It has absolutely proven to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that women and of course men respond to improved symmetry. I am now a commodity with the opposite sex and it improves every time my symmetry changes which at this point is every day.

Kevin

SPAMMY LINK REMOVED

You should try colonic irrigation, you seem to be full of

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 07/09/2010 10:19:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length