The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do you think society would react to Universal Drug legalisation?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline mario

• View Profile
How do you think society would react to Universal Drug legalisation? Would it fall apart or would it create prosperity?

Am interest to hear opinions....

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
I think they should be perscription only. Sometimes people need saving from themselves.

paul.fr

What drugs? legal or Illegal?

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Very laid back with slightly slurred speach and some loss of ballance followed by wiered hunger and paranoia like the rest of the drugies Amy Whitenose being a prime example.

Hope this answers your question

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I expect there would be total meltdown for about a week, then society would carry on much like before, only with legitimate people making money out of drugs rather than criminals.  Drugs are really quite easy to get hold of, so I suspect that the vast majority of the people who want to use drugs already do.

Long term, I expect we would see higher incidences of certain illnesses, but exactly which it's hard to say.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There would probably be a drop in the crime rate too. Obviously you lose the directly related crimes - possesion, dealing etc buut you also lose a lot of crime that's related to the illegality of the drugs eg theft to pay lots of money for them  and gang wars that are about the "right" to sell in a particular area.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
The laws against recreational drug use are obscene.  They are clearly a case of one group of people forcing their morals upon other people.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
I still fail to understand how, morally, governments can condemn recreational drug use yet permit tobacco & alcohol use.

Alcohol & tobacco cause far more illnesses & deaths than recreational drugs.

Alcohol is responsible for immeasurably more violence than drugs (although maybe not so extreme). When was the last time you heard of a spliffhead saying "Let's go mug someone"? They're too stoned to bother!

The cost of smoking to the NHS is many times the budget for treating drug abuse.

I don't see that drug abuse (although I hate that expression) can be stamped out short of applying truly Draconian methods & sentencing. However, I don't believe that universal legitimisation is the answer. Do you honestly think governments would set up legal crack or methamphetamine factories? Do you think it would be advisable to have criminals running around on legal PCP (angel dust)?

Personally, I think governments want to legalise many drugs. But the problem they're having is classification. It's not easy differentiating between many illegal drugs and nicotine or alcohol. How could governments still enforce a ban on certain drugs when their effect is so similar to drugs they want to allow so that they can continue to tax them? (oops, of course that's not the reason alcohol & tobacco are still legal!)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
When was the last time you heard of a spliffhead saying "Let's go mug someone"? They're too stoned to bother!
A few months ago I heard a paranoid spliffhead saying that he thought everyone wanted to kill him
and consequently he was carrying "two butcher knives".

The cost of smoking to the NHS is many times the budget for treating drug abuse.
Consider the gain to the chancellor from the smokers who croak in their 50s/60s
receiving little/none of the state pension they have contributed to. 
« Last Edit: 03/08/2008 12:32:11 by RD »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile

A few months ago I heard a paranoid spliffhead saying that he thought everyone wanted to kill him
and consequently he was carrying "two butcher knives".

There are always exceptions. Most people handle alcohol perfectly well. Anyway, that spliffhead was probably paranoid without the spliff.

Here's something to think about. The government line is that spliff should remain illegal because it causes psychological problems. Cannot the same be said for religion? What about Peter Sutcliffe (the Yorkshire Ripper) killing prostitutes because "God told me to"? And didn't the Oklahoma bomber (I think it was that one) act on what he believed were God's instructions?
« Last Edit: 03/08/2008 16:13:14 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
I think it the hard stuff like cocaine and heroin should stay illegal and the supply of cannabis should be decriminalised but controlled.

The main reason why most is grown in the first place is because its easy to do so. Its normally the poor who grow it to provide themselves with an income where it then it gets sold on and then refined from the base product. The big profits are made from then on, the actual growers makes very little but more so than growing other crops.

Look up the Oliver North files to see how some of the very rich and elite control the supply and how those in a position of power turn a blind eye when they want. He was meant to be dealing it on behalf of the USA government, trading drugs for weapons!
 ::)

The governments could easily control the supply by buying the base product at source. This would give the people who grow a steady income and deprive the big boys of the base product. This would be a very cost effective route as what is bought can be refined to use for medical purposes and the surplus destroyed. The supply would then become scarce and the cost of what's then available would become very expensive. I remember reading recently that some NHS areas are experiencing a shortage of medicinal cocaine and morphine so that would also be of help there.

The governments can do plenty but unfortunately the main one, the USA, wont go down that line as they have the stupid attitude that doing that is somehow "rewarding" the growers. See the rolling eyes to maybe work out why as the big criminals are legit.

I have had plenty of experience in this and am not ashamed to say that I am an ex-heroin addict that has been free since 1984 and have not taken any hard substances since. I stopped smoking cannabis as well. :)

The use of cannabis is a different matter and would take up pages discussing it so I wont go there only to say that I think DoctorBeaver is correct. In my experience most paranoia bought on by the use of drugs is only highlighted by its use and not a direct result of taking drugs.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
TMM - I'm fully aware that the poor in those countries can gain consideable benefit from the drugs trade; that's 1 of the major moral problems. For instance, stopping the cocaine trade from Colombia would consign many growers to a life of abject poverty. I am also aware that if they were to try to sell to legitimate suppliers (i.e. government agencies) then the drugs barons would likely try to exact vengeance.

Do you not think that western governments, where most drug end-users live, should put the lives & health of their own citizens first?

May I offer my congratulations for "kicking the habit". It's not an easy thing to do.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Thanks doc, doing what I did left me with no friends as I had to isolate myself from them and since then I have become a recluse and have stayed one. I still have some contact with those that I was involved with, lots are now dead (too many to count on one hand) and some are now on methadone.

As far as "not an easy thing to do," I agree, it can be done but is difficult and support is the main thing I think. Withdrawals is a just a small problem, it don't last long and can be treated but I don't agree with propping up those addicted with methadone as its just another way of prolonging the agony.

I agree that the lives and health of citizens should come first and that's one of the reasons I think hard stuff should remain illegal. I can see a "Brave New Word" type scenario where the Governments of the day legalise it and create a population that gets dependent and then threatens to withdraw their "soma" unless they do what they are told.

I think you can understand that I'm just using "soma" as an example.

Alcohol prohibition didn't work in the US because alcohol was popular and widespread, to legalise all drugs and then realise after all it was a big mistake would cause a lot of problems.

Just look at the current mess in the UK when they reclassified cannabis as a class 3 drug, people then assumed it was legal to carry and use. It created lots of confusion and now they are going to, or maybe have already, change it back to class 2.

I'm not sure how many people are employed in the UK for instance, in dealing with addiction as it provides jobs for some. I don't have any statistics either of how many are estimated to have a dependency but I can imagine what would happen if those that were addicted all became "clean." Jobs are not easy to come by at the moment so perhaps having a percentage of the population hooked is good for the economy. The situation in the USA would be much worse so maybe its just not a priority.

But, I am very cynical about the whole business as you can tell.

Something I wrote a while ago that still makes me sad as it reminds me of the misery;

"When the flame hits the foil and it all starts to boil you go chasing them dragon all day,
and the sickening smell that come straight from hell lingers on every word you say,
relax now, the dragons have gone you've chased them all away,
but you know for sure it wont last long,
they'll be back by the end of the day."

A tearful emoticon would now be apt. [:-'(]

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
When the flame hits the foil and it all starts to boil you go chasing them dragon all day,
and the sickening smell that come straight from hell lingers on every word you say,
relax now, the dragons have gone you've chased them all away,
but you know for sure it wont last long,
they'll be back by the end of the day."

Very good.

Having worked in the field of drug and alcohol rehabilitation, I can assure you that there are very few people employed by the NHS in that field. Mostly they work for charities, as I did. But, even so, the numbers are very small when compared to the number of addicts out there. Most treatment and counselling organisations have enormous waiting lists.

It has been estimated that there are 266,000 "problem drug users" in the UK. But bear in mind that figure depends on the definition of "problem drug user". If the same criteria were applied as the government uses to define a problem drinker, then I think you could easily double, if not treble, it.

According to goverment guidelines, if you have ever taken time off work due to drink, you have a problem. If you have missed meals because of drink, you have a problem. If you have spent money on drink that was meant for other things, you have a problem. I think that is a load of cods! Just a couple of weeks ago I went into town to buy a pair of trainers. I bumped into a friend and we went for a couple of drinks. I hadn't taken much money with me, so didn't have enough left for the trainers (I don't take credit cards with me when I go shopping - they're too dangerous!  :D ). By the time I got home I couldn't be bothered to cook my dinner so I just had a sandwich. Oooh, I must be a problem drinker!

Funny, that, because I hardly drink at all these days. The last bottle of wine I bought lasted 5 days!
« Last Edit: 04/08/2008 07:55:18 by DoctorBeaver »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums