The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I get too hot in bed after I've been drinking?  (Read 4917 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
When I go to bed drunk I often find myself unusually warm in the night. Normally I get cold when I sleep but when I'm drunk I wake up at say, 3am, all hot and bothered. What's up with that?
Asked by Sean Moore

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

...or Listen to the Answer or [download as MP3]

« Last Edit: 22/09/2013 22:16:36 by _system »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do I get too hot in bed after I've been drinking?
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2008 00:53:16 »
Alcohol causes blood vessels to dilate (vasodilator), e.g. drunk Caucasian people are often red faced.
The increased blood flow to the skin could be responsible for being too hot in bed.

If you fell asleep drunk in a cold environment (e.g. outdoors) this same vasodilation effect could cause you to become too cold (hypothermia). 
« Last Edit: 03/08/2008 01:01:37 by RD »

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2010 20:09:28 »
Over the past year, my body temperature seems to rise noticeablely when I go to bed, to the point where I am taking off my sheet and finding it difficult to sleep. This happens irrespective of the room temperature and when I haven't even had a drink. What's causing this?

« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2014 12:02:49 »
This effect is quite good for one suffering from muscle stiffness, but only in small amount before you get effect of real intoxication, it reduces calcium that is responsible for muscle stiffness,   just a helpful tip for the chronic muscle pain people :)

Alan S

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2016 18:34:38 »
How can these alcohol induced night sweats be overcome if that is indeed possible?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2016 18:34:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums