The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Jealousy, Are We Hard Wired To Be So?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Jealousy, Are We Hard Wired To Be So?
« on: 07/01/2005 16:57:19 »
Jealousy, are we hard wired to become jealous if another person has something special from our special someone? To posses is special, to posses a spouse, sexual possession. Are some people hard wired to be loose, swingers, or is it a learned corruption of natural order? From commited to weak to careless to want of variety. Some never learn morals. Jealousy, how does that fit in with evolution?

Titanscape
« Last Edit: 07/01/2005 16:58:46 by Titanscape »

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Jealousy, Are We Hard Wired To Be So?
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2005 19:53:28 »
I don't think it's pre-programmed.  I think it has to do with the stability of the person emotionally, and the experience in the relationship.  I give an example of a friend of mine.  She and her girlfriend were best friends, no jealousy between them.  Then, her girlfriend had an affair with her husband.  She was jealous after that.  But there was no jealousy without provocation.  Conversely, there are emotionally unstable people who will be jealous and suspicious regardless of the circumstances.  But I think too that this type of jealousy comes from previous trauma and disappointment.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2005 14:59:37 »
We all get jealous at times........I'd much rather be jealous than envious.

I'm sure some corruptions are learned Bren, but I would expect people who have a predisposition to a particular standard are easier to be led down that path of what is the right behaviour or not.........it's all a matter of perspective. Of course, you can not really judge people by your own standards (well... you can, and we do...but it's your personal opinion of course ) and because others may behave in a way that you disapprove of does not mean that it is wrong, except , in your own eyes.

There are communities who enjoy certain behaviours and in their way they are not acting immorally. As Jay (ylide) put it on another thread, as long as it's mutually consensual and it's within the law then it should be ok shouldn't it ?

Jealousy is a natural emotion, I can be jealous of someone but pleased for them too. Envy, indicates resentment though.

Bren, I feel sometimes you are struggling with your own set of morals and I suspect that you set your own standards very high, nothing wrong with that at all, I also think you might find it frustrating that you feel you have not met other people who share your ideals and this must lead to a sense of nonfulfillment in your life.....I may be completely wrong but I do feel sometimes your are in need of a contentment and satisfaction in your life.

I'm not trying to analyse you Bren, you are your own individual and I am by no means a therapist of any sort, it's just that, the topics of your recent postings make me think how you are....How are you ?...are you a happy person ?

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2005 16:48:52 »
Sometimes I am happy. My parents are divorved and I see alot of stuff that makes me sad when I think on it. My empty mind on holidays is filled with questions on faithfulness. Somehow it is not my choice, perhaps I am critical by nature... Then if I believe my thoughts I am sad. I try to think on positive things tho. I am also lonely and non fullfilled.

I think we all as humans can be jealous and it is in the hard wiring at least for potential expression and some learn to neglect it, some better than others. Crimes are commited from jealousy. I would not be consentual, and then in non mutual consent scenes this stuff hurts. Or if it is done by people in a position of trust as some pastors in the US on J Duplantis show, who had to repent. It scares me as to who these desires can strike.

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2005 16:48:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums