The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Any books to be recommended for electronics projects?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline RyanGuyardo

• View Profile
I'm keen to have some small and low cost projects that can be done at home. Can anyone recommend me some books about electronics projects?

I prefer some projects that need low power supply and safe to be done and used. For example, to create wireless console, radio waves receiver, bluetooth connection, etc..  ;)

Criteria:
- easily understand
- schematic circuit board
- components list
- user friendly
- useful projects

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Any books to be recommended for electronics projects?
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2008 12:38:16 »
It depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want to gain an understanding of fundamental electronic design, you should build some transistor level circuits - amplifiers or a simple radio. You get a good understanding of how to calculate the component values etc. If you just want to build something following a set of instructions then there are plans you can follow to enable this but you won't learn very much apart from how to solder without making a dry joint. If you want to build more complex systems, it may end up somewhere between the two above scenarios as you may have to debug the circuitry if it did not function as expected.

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2008 14:46:45 »
Electronics 'projects' aren't as popular as they used to be but you can still get some small project packs from Maplin in the UK. I believe Radio Shack do the same and I'll bet they do international mail order, wherever you live.

There is a presence on the Web of Home Electronics enthusiasts, too and you can still get components, including valves for really old-type projects.

I'm not sure what you actually want from it but you can't beat building s simple circuit and getting it wo work. When it fails, you have the pleasure of finding out how it works (should work); fault finding is a great educational tool.

And, of course, there are software packages (with graphics) which will let you simulate the operation of all the components you can think of - without blowing them up. But you can't beat a bit of real soldering.
« Last Edit: 12/08/2008 14:49:22 by sophiecentaur »

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2008 17:41:07 »
Like others say, it depends what you want. A bluetooth device is going to involve a black-box off-the shelf IC which is hideously complicated (internally).

If you want to learn basic electronics (transistors and logic etc) in a practical way, I would recommend the series by British author Tom Duncan:
 "Adventures with Electronics"
 "Adventures with Microelectronics"
and
 "Adventures with Digital Electronics"

They're a bit old now (late 1980's) - you might have to get them from a library or second-hand. Most of the parts will be available, but you will have to make a few substitutions for a couple of the projects.

The books advertise "no soldering required" - but you're better off if you do solder a few things!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2008 17:41:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums