The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can you spot a Stradivarius?  (Read 2535 times)

charles dunbar

How can you spot a Stradivarius?
« on: 12/08/2008 22:48:59 »
charles dunbar  asked the Naked Scientists:

I found your article on the stradivarius violin incredible.
Is there any way, by just looking at a stradivarius, to tell whether it is the real thing or not?

What do you think?

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2008 23:30:32 »
You could tell only by playing it, I think. But you need to have played a lot of violins before and to know what to look for.
I can say that I have handled expensive violins and guitars and  they do feel 'alive' to the touch; the sound of your fingers as they touch the body seems to be audible, compared with a dullness on a cheap 'boxwood' instrument.
Totally subjective but I bet I could put three violins in order of their cost (on a good day) and I play really crap!!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2008 10:21:18 »
Just look at the label  :D

SC is right about the "feel" of a good instrument. It's the balance, the quality of the materials, the finish - you don't get that in cheap tat.

Take the case of the Fender Stratocaster; 1 of the best guitars in the world. There are 2 versions which, on paper, seem very similar - the Fender and the Fender Squier. But try playing them and you'd soon notice a difference. The same is true of Gibson Les Paul or 330 guitars. There are also an Epiphone Les Paul and an Epiphone 330, and Epiphone is owned by Gibson. The Epis are very good guitars, but they're no match for a genuine Gibbo.

I'm fortunate enough to own a Martin acoustic guitar. It's nothing that special to look at (see pic). But as soon as you strum a chord, you know you've got hold of a real class instrument.

« Last Edit: 13/08/2008 10:37:04 by DoctorBeaver »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2008 10:21:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums