The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What makes the sound in thunder?  (Read 3889 times)

blakestyger

What makes the sound in thunder?
« on: 14/08/2008 10:12:19 »
There was a bit of a storm yesterday afternoon and someone staying with us asked me what caused the sound of thunder - and guess what? I couldn't tell them.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/08/2008 11:03:01 »
It's very simple: the lightining is an extremely intense current through air; as such it heats the air. and Very much, up to thousands of degrees. This makes the air suddenly expand in a very violent way, and that's the thunder.

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 14/08/2008 11:34:21 »
It's very simple: the lightining is an extremely intense current through air; as such it heats the air. and Very much, up to thousands of degrees. This makes the air suddenly expand in a very violent way, and that's the thunder.

What! I always thought it was the sound of (insert your Deity) moving furniture.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/08/2008 14:18:54 »

What! I always thought it was the sound of (insert your Deity) moving furniture.
Ehm...I don't want to put in discussion a God's will! If that is the explanation they gave you, then...ok! :)

blakestyger

« Reply #4 on: 14/08/2008 17:45:03 »
Thanks lightarrow - that's easy to remember.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/08/2008 19:04:54 »
As a child I was always told it was the clouds banging together.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/08/2008 19:43:25 »
As a child I was always told it was the clouds banging together.
My God! What clouds are made of in your country?  ;D

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 15/08/2008 17:30:29 »
It would be more accurate to say that the lightning produces a 'crack' or very short impulsive sound. The rumbling sound which we hear is because the initial pulse energy is dispersed as it travels through the air and echos off the landscape.

I, too, was told that it was clouds bumping together. But they told me, correctly, that Father Christmas brought presents and the tooth fairy left money - they had established their credentials already so I believed them.
« Last Edit: 15/08/2008 17:32:26 by sophiecentaur »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/08/2008 19:22:58 »
Although we think of clouds as pretty inconsequential things I understand they quite often weigh 100,000 tons or so also when our aircraft drives thru them at 500 MPH they often seem rather solid.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 15/08/2008 19:22:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length