The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the Universe rotate?  (Read 5519 times)

Offline pauldavidgilligan

• First timers
    • View Profile
Does the Universe rotate?
« on: 17/08/2008 21:33:38 »
If you make yourself a cup of instant coffee with a little milk and give it a stir you might notice that as the coffee grains dissolve they rotate in a spiral fashion and look a lot like galaxies.

In fact a lot of things in nature rotate from the smallest to the largest objects and if you applied some common sense you might imagine that the universe rotated too.

So that is the question, does the universe rotate ?
« Last Edit: 23/08/2008 18:56:18 by chris »

lyner

Re: Does the Universe rotate?
« Reply #1 on: 17/08/2008 22:02:48 »
no.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2008 22:24:24 »
We had this question recently...  "Does everything in the Universe rotate around a fixed point? ". It was only a week or two ago and the dialogue is easy to find.

Offline pauldavidgilligan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2008 02:48:15 »
Thanks I will have a look, but I did not mean everything rotating around a fixed point. If we assume the universe has a boundary and is an object in itself then the question would be would that object universe be rotating.

There are a number of things in nature we still do not understand even something as simple as mass:

" By smashing together tiny particles, it is hoped that the LHC will reveal the origins of mass, show us what all the invisible matter in the cosmos is made of, and perhaps even create mini black holes. "

We do ot seem to understand space/time & mass so I was wondering more what the effects of a rotating universe would be if it had a boundary and formed an oject.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2008 09:02:13 »
It is not thought the universe has a boundary. It may be finite in size but without bounds, rather like the surface of the earth is in two dimensions. There are other models too, but I don't think that there are any that conceptualise an "outside" that we can ever know about or have any effect on us.

Offline newmath016

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2008 06:34:41 »
I've read some evidences about it and yes   Universe revolves

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/08/2008 12:07:05 »
Thanks I will have a look, but I did not mean everything rotating around a fixed point.
You wrote:
In fact a lot of things in nature rotate from the smallest to the largest objects and if you applied some common sense you might imagine that the universe rotated too.
So I haven't grasped what you intended; if something doesn't rotate around an axis (not a point), then in which other way does it rotate?.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/08/2008 12:09:02 »
I've read some evidences about it and yes   Universe revolves
Ah, yes, you certainly have gone out of our universe and have seen it rotating.  :)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #8 on: 29/08/2008 13:45:14 »
Matter in the universe appears to be all moving in the same general direction. Out (presumeably) from the center. The exception being the rouge bits and pieces which seem to move in a rather more random fashion. But there are parts of the universe which do revolve around other parts. Our solar system being one such group.
The Moon rotates around the Earth, the Earth around the Sun and the Sun around the center of the Milky Way. Whether the Milky Way rotates around the center of a 'super galaxy' I rather doubt. I think the Galaxy is as far as orbiting goes.

Speaking of Milky Way's & Galaxy, I fancy a bit of choccy now! :P

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 29/08/2008 13:45:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length