The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How did my new Linux PC find my databases?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
How did my new Linux PC find my databases?
« on: 17/08/2008 23:32:17 »
I am really - and I mean REALLY confused.

Yesterday I installed Linux (Ubuntu) on this PC.Due to a lack of ethernet cables, I disconnected my development PC from my network. Since then, that PC has not been connected to any other PC on the network.

Today I installed phpmyadmin & mysql on this PC. I started phpmyadmin and when I looked at the available databases all of them from my development PC were there! All the tables are loaded with the data I downloaded onto the development PC from my website.I have not yet even accessed my website from this PC, let alone download data from it. There has been no connection whatsoever between this PC and my development PC. So how the fek has that happened!? Where the hell did it get my databases and data from?

I did download the Linux distro onto my development PC and burn it onto CD from that, but that's all.

Please tell me what the fek is happening. I'm getting scared!
« Last Edit: 17/08/2008 23:38:20 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 18/08/2008 18:52:30 »
Assuming that neither PC has Bluetooth, if your development PC has been disconnected from both your local network and the internet, the databases could not have come from it.  If the databases exist nowhere else but on the internet and on your dev PC, then it must have got them from the net.

If you've entered any net account details on the Ubuntu system, to get on to the net with it, I could quite imagine phpmyadmin looking at sites associated with your net account for DBs.

I'm guessing that the Ubuntu CD you burnt was from an ISO image, so I can't see how burning it on the dev PC would have added the DBs to it.

Does phpmyadmin not give any details on where it found the DBs?  I would expect at the very least it would say whether it's using a local DB or a net DB.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2008 20:34:27 »
localhost

I am totally flummoxed by this. As you rightly said, I installed from an ISO image I downloaded from the net. I installed phpmyadmin from the net. That CD is the only way the 2 PCs have been connected. But, sure enough, the databases are on the new PC. I can even access them with php programs!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2008 00:21:58 »
Hmm...  localhost...  hmm...  Unless you've had a complete brainstorm and forgotten that you copied them over, or that you've left a memory stick in the back that has a copy of them on it, phpmyadmin must have downloaded them from the net.  I would have expected it to show where it downloaded them from though, and not just say localhost - that could be both confusing and misleading.

I can imagine phpmyadmin downloading your DBs on to your local system from the net via your net account - unless you're using a proxy/gateway you would have had to enter your login details somewhere on the PC to get connected, to download phpmyadmin, but I'd expect it to make it clear that this is what it had done.

If the DB files (on the net) are just sitting in ftp space somewhere, then phpmyadmin could have looked through any ftp space associated with your net account.  Alternatively, if the DBs are being served by a DB service running under your account, it could have simply asked the service for them.

Although I'd think it was a bit strange too, if I wasn't expecting it, one thing's for sure - it's not magic and there's a rational explanation for it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2008 00:21:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums